Yachting Monthly Eventide

24 ft Sloop 1/12 th scale

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ray Wood 218/06/2020 22:51:13
2357 forum posts
829 photos

Hi All,

Yet another furlough build from my favourite era the Maurice Griffith's Eventide a classic 24' home build design from the early 1960's

Regards Rayeventide 1.jpg

gecon19/06/2020 06:34:56
421 forum posts
352 photos

Hi Ray, so there it is! I had to go back to Google to find out what 'furlough' was blush . I must start reading more.

What scale are you going to build to? 1:12th? 1:6th ?!!

George

Ray Wood 219/06/2020 06:51:16
2357 forum posts
829 photos

Hi George,

Sorry I should have explained, here i n the UK 8 million of us are being paid by our government to keep the economy going until our work becomes available again.

Eventide will be 1" - 1 '. 1/12th scale the same as my other Yachting Monthly design Wild Duck 😄 and will use my standard detachable fin keel for sailing.

Regards Raywd48.jpg

gecon19/06/2020 10:41:35
421 forum posts
352 photos

OK, I was going to mention that it reminded me of your 'Wild Duck' -which also has a cosy, traditional look to it.

Looking forward to even more photos of the forthcomming increase in your arsenal of modelsyes. Launch in a couple of weeks I suppose!

George

Ray Wood 225/07/2020 15:49:34
2357 forum posts
829 photos

Hi All,

Nice wet weekend weather, good for drafting the sections of the hull for the Eventide which I'm hoping will be a pretty little yacht 😀⛵ it takes as long to draw as the build will !! img_20200725_153427.jpgonce I have all the bulkhead s we will be cutting wood 👍

Regards Ray

Tim Rowe25/07/2020 20:38:12
547 forum posts
562 photos

Another great subject Ray

Tim R

Ray Wood 225/07/2020 21:13:14
2357 forum posts
829 photos

Hi Tim,

There are so many classics overlooked by modellers, I will do my best to put that right 😀 Percy Blandford's Lysander at 17ft long and double chine hull has to be done at some stage 👍

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 25/07/2020 21:13:55

Brian Dickinson 126/07/2020 07:22:35
245 forum posts
135 photos

Hi Ray. Glad your all well down there below the Thames.

That’s a nice looking yacht. I have a book somewhere on building yachts of this kind. I must dig it out as it has line drawings in it that could be scaled. I have been doing a bit on the sparrow of late but it’s a fiddly job planking the hull.
I will probably end up with a bit of filler on it. I bought some of the resin and glass cloth that you recommended. Is the resin air cure?

I like the chine hulls as they are easier for me to make. I will keep an eye on the build. Be interesting to see how you make the keel removable.

Brian

Ray Wood 226/07/2020 08:31:01
2357 forum posts
829 photos

Hi Bri,

It maybe the same book I'm using Building Chine Boats by Michael Verney 12/6p in 1963 😀

I don't recall recommending a resin ? Which sort did you buy ?? There are 2 part like West epoxy or my preferred water based resin now with lots of coats.

Regards Ray

Brian Dickinson 126/07/2020 09:17:38
245 forum posts
135 photos

Hi Ray. I will have to look for the book. I bought the water based type resin.

Bri

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor