Eileen

Advert

Eileen

Home Forums Collectors’ corner Eileen

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    ashley needham
    Participant
      @ashleyneedham69188

Great photos Harry, you keep your garden pond in tip top condition!

Looks good in that setting. Planning on some crew men/women/others?

Ashley

Advert
      harry smith 1
      Participant
        @harrysmith1

Hi Ashley

Captain is at the wheel with his bird on lookout at the stern.

Running the boat in the sea of course.

Harry

harry smith 1
        Participant
          @harrysmith1
          Only on 60% forward speed, will have to trim it back a bit !!!
          Harry
          Michael Crouch
          Participant
            @michaelcrouch51191

I wanted to say how much I've enjoyed your posts on your Eileen… I made mine back in the nineteen eighties and I've had to do restoration work just once due to a slight leak but she now still sails nicely , when I have a chance to sail her that is… smiley

ashley needham
            Participant
              @ashleyneedham69188

Nice vid Harry. River is it or long lake?? Looks warm and shallow!

Michael. Welcome to posting on the forum. Nice boat, very tidy…sharp and clean.

Ashley

Chris Fellows
              Participant
                @chrisfellows72943

You've certainly got a diverse range of boats Harry. Unlike me! Well at the moment anyway. Though I have got a HydroPro Affinity 65 yacht and a Club 500 as a complete change to Faireys.

Our temperatures aren't far apart now and hopefully I should be able to do some painting outside before too long.

Chris

Nike Belli
                Participant
                  @nikebelli51568
                  Posted by Chris Fellows on 02/11/2019 11:25:53:

At least most of the hard work is done i.e. planking the hull!

Chris

Congratulations! Its really heard job!

harry smith 1
                  Participant
                    @harrysmith1

Hi Chris and Nike

The boat sails very well at 60% throttle on the 540/ 80 Turn brush motor, 2S 5000Mah Lipo battery and a 3blade 60 mm Brass Prop.

It was one of my bucket list boats given the age and I have two Helens also!!

In the paper work was a pencil writing, 8/8/1981 four hours !!!

A lot of spare wooden strips and other timber strips which came in handing!!!

Planking is not as hard, I found it very interesting after I got into it!!

I did plank a French fishing Boat which is a fat beam Eileen with Ikea wooden blind strips.

Dam lovely stuff, a bit hard that balsa, steams great and I pick up the blind cheap !!!

I do not think I will find another one his far south in Tasmania !!!

But ewe ever know!!!

Harry

ashley needham
                    Participant
                      @ashleyneedham69188

Ah… THATS why they were queuing outside Ikea here when they opened….all those boaters!

Ashley

harry smith 1
                      Participant
                        @harrysmith1

Hi Ashley

You cannot get a parking spot at Bunnings over in Tassie to get in the store.

That started a lockdown and has not stopped !!!

Sales up by over 20% !!!!!

Harry

Calvin Van Elsakker
                        Participant
                          @calvinvanelsakker47618

How much ballast are you using I just finished up a restore on one and want to get it in the water.

harry smith 1
                          Participant
                            @harrysmith1

Hi Calvin

I have not weight to boat ,just added lead blocks until I got it to the water lines as per the plan.

It cuts thru the water very well !!!

Harry

Michael Bell 1
                            Participant
                              @michaelbell1

Hi Harry

I have just been given this boat kit and I’m having a few problems. I’m guessing my kit is from around the same era 1980s. I think time has not been kind to the material.

Can I pick your brains on how you built the boat? This is my first build of this type ie bulkheads and planks. Also not an experienced builder. So I’m having a difficult time in sorting out how it goes together.
                              Your finished boat looks fantastic. I like the additional items , sails nets etc.

Hope you can help.

Kind regards

Michael

harry smith 1
                              Participant
                                @harrysmith1

Hi Michael

Have a look in my photo albums in the Julieth 4 folder.

This is a French one on the same lines, only wider.

Some good photos of the frames, keel etc. before planking.

The motor is a 540 80turn, no gears to a 60mm brass 3 blade prop.

Harry

Michael Bell 1
                                Participant
                                  @michaelbell1

Hi Harry,

First off many thanks for the reply.

Have viewed Julieth 4 album, some interesting photos there. I revisited Thread Eileen and noticed a couple of modifications to bulkheads 12/13. Assume this is ease of access to motor battery etc.

My burning questions are Q1) Is Eileen double planked? I have 64 2x7x900 light coloured wood not mahogany as in the material list could be sycamore. Also, I have (in the kit) 64 strips of mahogany 0.6 x 7 x 900. These are not listed in the 'Contents of the box’ neither do they appear on the plans. I do have 0.6 x 5 x 450 for the wheelhouse planks.

Q2. Is the deck curved across the beam. As I mentioned initially the years have not been kind to the wood some are a little musty, others quite dry. I have not been able to bend the deck stringers to be level with the bulkheads. Apart from the obvious a 7 mm ply does not fit easily into a 5mm slot.

Q3. How are the bronze bushes held in the prop shaft? Mine slide all the way in.

Lastly, would this be better off in a new thread? Or is it all Eileen?

Kind regards

Michael

harry smith 1
                                  Participant
                                    @harrysmith1

25.jpgHi Michael

Q1. Single planked.

Q2. I would replace them with new wood.

Q3. Replace the bushes with ones with an end piece which is the same diameter as the outer tube.

Also add an oiler to the outer tube.

You can start another thread if you wish.

I did do a lift out deck between the hatch and the wheelhouse which improves access to the inside.24.jpg

Michael Bell 1
                                    Participant
                                      @michaelbell1

Hi Harry.

Thanks again for the reply. Deck stringers already glued in so its a sanding job, not too much plus the bulkheads to be shaped.

Michael

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)