Comanche 32

Advert

Comanche 32

Home Forums Sailing Models Comanche 32

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Eddie Lancaster
    Participant
      @eddielancaster

Hi. Ray, she does look good and totally different, Frank's sails finish it off a treat, I bet you can't wait to get it on the water now.

Those boats did look good and mean.

Regards.

Eddie.

Advert
      ashley needham
      Participant
        @ashleyneedham69188

Nice work Ray. Be very interesting to see behaviour on the water.

Ashley

Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi All,

Putting the removable fin keels together today and as each one weighs 2 lbs I was getting cold feet above how she would sit in the water relative to the scale waterline, but happy days she sits 3/8" above so some margin for the radio gear.

Regards Ray (Very Happy)img_20200601_163553.jpg

Chris Fellows
          Participant
            @chrisfellows72943

She's quite a big boat isn't she Ray. These bath test facilities are so useful!

Chris

Tim Rowe
            Participant
              @timrowe83142

Some disgustingly clean baths being shown.

Another great moment Ray and for sure that boat will have some stability – BOTH WAYS UPlaugh

Tim R

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hi Tim,

I thought you would be impressed with my tiling ??

Have a got the nerve to sail her without the mast head float 😯

Gwen just bailed out the bath with a bucket to water the garden, it hasn't rained here for ages 😢

Regards Ray

Tim Rowe
                Participant
                  @timrowe83142

Some interesting theory here Ray. On a monohull the boat has to heel in order the increase the righting moment and the more the boat heels, the greater the righting moment and at the same time the projected area of the sails and their efficiency reduces and so equilibrium is reached.

A catamaran sails at very small angles of heel (if all is going well) so the leeward keel will not be producing any heel correction and the windward keel has its righting moment mainly influenced by the distance of its centre of gravity from the leeward hull. So for half the time, one of your keels is doing nothing except providing its share of lateral resistance. I wonder therefore if a central keel would be more efficient but of course a lot harder to construct.

Most full size catamarans are unballasted and the stability governed by their relatively enormous beam.

I will be fascinated to see the boat sailing and wonder if it could take a substantially larger rig for lighter conditions and I have been wracking my brains to think of an unloading mechanism to take care of gusts. Fast cats transfer gusts into acceleration to absorb the energy but cruising cats don't have that luxury. Interested on your thoughts.

Tim R

Ray Wood 3
                  Participant
                    @raywood3

Hi Tim,

It will be a good basis for experimenting 😄

I have sailed a Hobie 16 cat, wicked fun 😎 went out once without the bungs in the hulls 😯

Regards Ray

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hi Tim,

Your last post made sense to me, the cat being basically a flat platform to work with, there are many successful racing cat & tri designs for racing models even foilers 😄, but I'm fairly sure the big old cruising cat has not been modelled very often if at all ?

Using the foam & depron route has been a great result weight wise which I couldn't have achieved building a scale model with balsa & ply my usual medium.

Good news on the flying front, I'm hoping to join a local club the New Hay Flying Tigers near Paddock Wood Kent 😎

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 02/06/2020 07:07:43

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 02/06/2020 07:08:56

Ray Wood 3
                      Participant
                        @raywood3

Hi All,

Getting close to having a sea worthy cat to sail 😎 just fired up my new wireless set and all is well, it's actually the Planet TS2+2 with the normal 2 function sticks plus 2 more proportional functions, only 4 AA's in the transmitter 👍 I have quite a few of this type of budget sets, the Duracell batteries will last for ages.

Regards Rayimg_20200605_122343.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 05/06/2020 13:05:10

Ray Wood 3
                        Participant
                          @raywood3

Hi All,

This has been a long drawn out build over the last couple of years, and is relatively experimental.

The fin keels and rudder extensions are removable for static display.

If she sails ok as I hope much more scale detail to add 😄 if not Deep Six and move on to a Trimaran 😉

Regards Rayimg_20200606_103534.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 07/06/2020 11:58:25

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 07/06/2020 11:58:48

Chris Fellows
                          Participant
                            @chrisfellows72943

I have the upmost faith Ray.

2 years isn't long!

Chris (decorating the landing)

gecon
                            Participant
                              @gecon

Ray, the Comanche 32 looks really nice. Reminds me of a series of 'cats' produced in UK many years ago. I think the name was Prout Catermerans. Maybe the Comanche is a 'Prout'? What's the total displacement with the keels fitted?

George

Ray Wood 3
                              Participant
                                @raywood3

Hi George,

She was first launched in 1978, they were built by Sailcraft in Brightlingsea by Reg White I believe, who went on to produce the Olympic Tornado cats.

They are all over the world now if you look at the second hand market and still command a good price 😄

My model is based on the original works drawings and weighs in at 4lbs without keels plus another 4lbs for the keels which I will remove at some stage after the handling is known with them on ✔

The original had a mast head float to stop it turning turtle, I may do the same.

The Prout cats were more of a cruising cat I believe.

All the best, the Comtessa looks great

Rayimg_20200614_094232.jpg

Tim Rowe
                                Participant
                                  @timrowe83142

Hi Ray

Every time I see your post come up I think whoopee! It must be in the water by now.

Can't wait to see how it goes.

I've said it before but I'll say it again, very interesting project and very nicely carried out.

Tim R

gecon
                                  Participant
                                    @gecon

Hi Ray,

I was going to mention a masthead float -just for added safety- while you are testing out the Comanche 32. I thought it may spoil the looks a bit so I refrained from the suggestion. Seeing that the original had this feature there's no problem with a bit more blue foam aloft , maybe disguised a large radar head? The displacement seems pretty light to me but then I have no model yacht experience at all to refer to -so I'll go back to mixing some 'heavy epoxy' for the F34 hull finish.

I see on the web that Prouts still exist in all shapes and sizes. They were very 'beamy' and probably had plenty of iron in the keels. Typical for a 'cruising cat' -as you say.

George

Edited By George Edward Connery on 14/06/2020 15:20:34

Ray Wood 3
                                    Participant
                                      @raywood3

Hi All,

It's not that often I think I may have had a good idea !! But here goes, for the trampoline between the hulls on a cat which enables access to the forestay and good sunbathing platform 😎I have used a non slip rubber mesh sold to go under rugs & mats to stop them moving, with glued on plasticard border drilled and laced onto the hulls 👍⛵

Comanche has been sailing this morning I will post photo's this evening. ⛵👍,

Regards Rayimg_20200622_095407.jpg

Ray Wood 3
                                      Participant
                                        @raywood3

Hi All,

Desperate to test some boats today so off the Allington Marina down the road from me, and fortunately knowing the owner he let me play boats in one of his basin's shared as you can see, well just enough wind to do a few circuits, all seems fine with the occasional gust she picked up speed nicely and turned reasonably well, cats are not that keen at going round corners at the best of times, I will now wait until Chantry Club at Bluewater's open again for more testing

Regards Raycom test 1.jpg

Tim Rowe
                                        Participant
                                          @timrowe83142

Hi Ray

All lockdown restrictions ended today in Spain so I hope the same is for you soon. Looks fabulous on the water and looking forward to seeing you put her through the paces.

Tim R

Edited By Tim Rowe on 22/06/2020 20:22:48

Chris Fellows
                                          Participant
                                            @chrisfellows72943

Hi Ray

Yes, that mesh looks just the job. Looking forward to some speed test as well.

Chris

Ray Wood 3
                                            Participant
                                              @raywood3

Hi Tim & Chris,

Thanks for your kind comments , I think it's time to add the proper details, fittings etc and recruit a skipper at the helm 😄👍⛵ hoping the charity shops 're-open soon normally a good source of crew to "take the kings shilling"

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster
                                              Participant
                                                @eddielancaster

Hi.Ray, she does look good on the water, and totally different to what we usually see, it will be nice to see her under way in a good breeze.

BTW I am heading home on Thursday, I have got more boats to take home than I came with,plus a Ryobi bandsaw that I found in Homebase and couldn’t resist sadsmiley, I will have to spend sometime making space for it and it may mean a new shed.

Regards.

Eddie.

gecon
                                                Participant
                                                  @gecon

Hi Ray,

Your Comanche 32 looks super. The trampoline looks exactly right too. Any more sailing photos comming?

Hmmmm, they made a Cat Fisher 32 -but I cannot bare the thought of all the fairing work needed for TWO round bilge hulls. I'll just stay content with admiring your twin-hull.

George

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)