Build 3 – from a plan

Advert

Build 3 – from a plan

Home Forums Build Blogs Build 3 – from a plan

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Simon Anderson 1
    Participant
      @simonanderson1

Hi All,

Following my second ever build blog with an airboat created without any plans (and to varying degrees of success!), I'm starting work on build 3 based on a 'proper' plan from an earlier version of the magazine.

I think the goals for me in this build are:

• Build from a structured plan – i.e. no free-styling – trying to stick to the plan wherever feasible
      • Stretch my skills – new materials and skills to be learned
      • Make the quality of the end product "better" than my earlier attempt

Thanks!

Advert
      Simon Anderson 1
      Participant
        @simonanderson1
        Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi Simon,

What are you going to build ??

Regards Ray

Simon Anderson 1
          Participant
            @simonanderson1

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the message – I'm building from your plan 'The Osprey', which for me is definitely a stretch of my abilities, but I think that was the point in picking this one – hopefully I can do your plan some justice!

I'll post some early snaps soon.

Cheers!

Simon

Simon Anderson 1
            Participant
              @simonanderson1

I started the first steps initially a couple of months back and got totally sidetracked with life so just picking this up again now.

Some early pictures of tracing out the keel and bulkheads – not sure how other people do it, but I found using tracing paper quite fiddly (getting the outline then glueing the tracing paper to the wood and then cutting).

Subsequently I've started using carbon paper on the wood directly which seems to work quite well – any other ways to do that?

img_9384.jpeg

img_8916.jpeg

img_9386.jpeg

Simon Anderson 1
              Participant
                @simonanderson1

one of the larger bulkheads:

img_8931.jpeg

Simon Anderson 1
                Participant
                  @simonanderson1

Most of the bulkheads outline cut … although not yet very precise, my cutting has improved to some degree since the last build – I'm still working on it and realising that any slightly shoddy cut usually bites me later.

img_8930.jpeg

img_8934.jpeg

img_8935.jpeg

Simon Anderson 1
                  Participant
                    @simonanderson1

The next step was to chop up some MDF skirting bits I had lying around to use as the supports at the base then glue them on. I taped and clamped them on before they dried.

img_9008.jpeg

img_9009.jpeg

Simon Anderson 1
                    Participant
                      @simonanderson1

And once all of them had been glue into the MDF bases, standing them up in line.

img_9012.jpeg

img_9010.jpeg

Ray Wood 3
                      Participant
                        @raywood3

Hi Simon,

OMG I'm in trouble now it's a good idea to cut or drill plenty of holes through the bulkheads for your wiring for the servo at the stern and the power leads, and when it's fixed to the building board don't be phased by adding to the bulkheads to get the ply skins to sit nicely !! I also fit stern tube and rudder doublers to the keel early, I'm sure you have seen the build thread on here for her.

Regards Ray

Simon Anderson 1
                        Participant
                          @simonanderson1

Thanks Ray – any build shortcoming will be purely be my fault smiley I'm looking at this project as a way of trying to stretch my skills quite a bit – if it's not perfect, the way I look at it is that I will have learnt a lot along the way to carry into the next one. Any suggestions appreciated. I think I have put in the doublers now but not yet the tube – will have to do that quite soon though.

At the moment just getting to grips with working with balsa wood which is a new one for me – much easier to cut than plywood!

Simon Anderson 1
                          Participant
                            @simonanderson1

Initial rough cut of the keel out of plywood:

img_9401.jpeg

Simon Anderson 1
                            Participant
                              @simonanderson1

After trying a few cutting tools I found a sharp point and a ruler clamped down was a pretty easy (and consistent) way to cut the long balsa strips out

img_9706.jpeg

Resulting 'timber' pile which required only a tiny amount of sanding:

img_9707.jpeg

Edited By Simon Anderson 1 on 15/11/2022 20:53:12

Simon Anderson 1
                              Participant
                                @simonanderson1

Attaching first balsa strips – on the base I used the pins to hold them in place while during (which I copied from the original build blog pictures).

img_9702.jpeg

img_9708.jpeg

Simon Anderson 1
                                Participant
                                  @simonanderson1

Overhead view: (the eagle-eyed will notice the sanding block – yes it is great – I am sure it will pay itself back smile  over time)

img_9709.jpeg

Edited By Simon Anderson 1 on 15/11/2022 20:49:16

Simon Anderson 1
                                  Participant
                                    @simonanderson1

… and now with most of the balsa strips on the underside something is starting to emerge gradually!

Any suggestion what to fill the pin holes with and also the small gaps between the balsa strips? I've seen on the internet people suggest 'lightweight spackling' for balsa – not sure what most people use…

img_9717.jpeg

Ray Wood 3
                                    Participant
                                      @raywood3

Hi Simon,

This ready mixed lightweight filler is great approx £6.00 from Amazon

I doesn't have to be waterproof it going to receive a paint finish.shandau12.jpg

Regards Ray

Simon Anderson 1
                                      Participant
                                        @simonanderson1

Thanks Ray – I will get some of that filler in.

Looking at your model in the picture, I've realised the doubler pieces I have are protruding slightly above the 'planks' – is it best if I try and sand those down / cut them out now or just blend them in with the filler to smooth them out?

Ray Wood 3
                                        Participant
                                          @raywood3

Hi Simon,

All part of the learning process, I'm sure you won't do it again, I would either leave it as is, or trim them off with a Stanley knife, I also have a small cutting disc in a Proxxon drill which is good for getting out of trouble, It rather depends on what tools you have to hand

Regards Ray

Simon Anderson 1
                                          Participant
                                            @simonanderson1

Hi Ray,

I decided to repair it in the end – took a bit of time to do but hopefully will improve the end product. Mixture of multi-tool cutting disc like you said, and a bit of chopping out did the trick! Not the easiest place to do repairs …

I've started with the filler as well – very unusual stuff – almost unbelievably light – thanks for the tip.

I did a dry fit test with the tube as well, so once the repair and filler is dry I'll put that in next. Nothing seems to dry in this cold

After that will try the balsa block shaping part as well. Then can finally work on the sides.

img_9725.jpeg

img_9726.jpeg

img_9727.jpeg

Cheers,

Simon

Simon Anderson 1
                                            Participant
                                              @simonanderson1

Sorry for the *very* long delay since the last update – needless to say progress has been very slow and challenging, but I am persisting with it ..

This is an update since the last post with some of the side pieces in place but still quite a work in progress on the basic hull shape.

I found the cutting and glueing piece by piece very time consuming and at the front of the boat very fiddly to glue certain pieces down.

img_9951.jpeg

Simon Anderson 1
                                              Participant
                                                @simonanderson1

Following this I eventually made better progress with all the individual balsa pieces, although I felt there were lots of small gaps so spent quite some time using the lightweight filler across the boat.

img_0105.jpeg

Simon Anderson 1
                                                Participant
                                                  @simonanderson1

Next I roughly cut the balsa block pieces at the front ready to be sanded down – to start with I found this very fiddly, but soon realised the balsa blocks were very easy to sand and soon had it down to shape.

img_0103.jpeg

Simon Anderson 1
                                                  Participant
                                                    @simonanderson1

and here is the boat sanded down to some degree, but still on the mdf stand. The prop shaft is not fixed in place at this point.

img_0151.jpeg

Simon Anderson 1
                                                    Participant
                                                      @simonanderson1

and here is a side view at roughly the same point in the build

img_0152.jpeg

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)