Build 3 – from a plan

Advert

Build 3 – from a plan

Home Forums Build Blogs Build 3 – from a plan

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Simon Anderson 1
    Participant
      @simonanderson1

I put a thin layer of epoxy resin on the final shape – I'm not sure if that was the intended sealant, but I had some handy so I went with that.

img_0159.jpeg

img_0158.jpeg

Advert
      Simon Anderson 1
      Participant
        @simonanderson1

I've put an initial coat of grey primer on the hull now and overall not looking too bad – needs a little more polishing off, but happy it's starting to become a hull after all this time.

img_0198.jpeg

img_0199.jpeg

… the next step is to cut off the MDF stands and create a stand for it.

I'm sure for anyone else this is an extremely long process, but I'm trying to stick at it and see it through to a reasonable conclusion. I can't say it will be done soon, but it is making (slow) progress. I'm sure there will be many more learning challenges in the next stages as well.

ashley needham
        Participant
          @ashleyneedham69188

Simon. Well done for getting this far!

If the balsa is hard from the resin, you could now scrape some car filler, P38 or whatever across the hull using a wide flat scraper, in one swoop, on all 4 faces, and then wet and dry to a nice plank-Free finish.

If it’s not that hard, a layer of glass tissue and resin will do the jobbefore fillin, depends how smooth you want the hull. Assume you have glued the prop shaft in place.

How did Ray finish his hull?. (I can’t remember).

Ashley

Simon Anderson 1
          Participant
            @simonanderson1

Thanks Ashley – it says on the original thread it uses “sanding sealer and high build filler” which I hope is similar to that p38 – never used it but I will give it a try. I’ll give what’s on there a quick sand down and then try applying that on top.

once that’s done I can hopefully check that it floats (maybe with some heavy batteries in there)

in the meantime I need to build a stand for it. I’ve also ordered a rudder for it (I don’t have anything suitable in the box of bits) as well so can start looking at fitting the servo to that too.

Ray Wood 3
            Participant
              @raywood3

Hi Simon,

I wouldn't normally use P38 filler on a balsa boat, just the lightweight stuff or Polyfiller. the High Build filler is a Halfords spray can of thicker than normal primer which gives a thicker layer to sand down.

Also nobody will see the bottom of the boat, just the topsides should look presentable for a first planked boat you have done well, remember it takes practice , I've been model making for 60 years Rome wasn't built in a day

Regards Ray

Simon Anderson 1
              Participant
                @simonanderson1

Thanks Ray. I'll give it another sand down and another primer coat to see how it looks and decide where to go from there.

I've just received the rudder for the boat and also fitted the correct prop shaft (10" M4) (the one I had in earlier was not the right size and I had just put there to check it would go through all the way smoothly). I've also realised I don't have a propellor that will fit, so have ordered a 25mm one to suit as per the design.

I think the next step will be to cut out the main deck floor and fit that with the servo and rudder.

I have a couple of motors that should fit but need to check if I have the right coupler to join to the motor to the threaded prop shaft (I think M4 threaded to 3.2mm on the motor).

ashley needham
                Participant
                  @ashleyneedham69188

Simon. It’s worth making the effort to get a smooth sided boat. I have seen in the past other builds let down for want of literally 5 mins worth of extra sanding. There’s no excuse for NOT getting a decent plank-Free finish on the sides of the boat. They are flat and a sanding block and sandpaper will make light work of getting a good finish. A thin layer of glass tissue and EzeKote will restore strength to a sanded hull, or even a bit of resin/fibreglass inside.

The simplest craft is much enhanced by a nice accurate paint job on top of a smooth lump free base, and getting a good finish should be as much of the build as literally just building the thing.

We expect great things at the pond…..🏆

Ashley

Ray Wood 3
                  Participant
                    @raywood3

Hi Simon,

I normally plank with 3/16" balsa so it can be sanded down to an 1/8" to take out the ridges etc, most people like to see the effort of planking showing, otherwise I would have ply covered her, sorry Ashley

Regards Ray

ashley needham
                    Participant
                      @ashleyneedham69188

No problem Ray. Having planking showing is a “look”. I was assuming the finish would be “babies bottom” (can I say that?) rather than ‘ribbed’.

as previously mentioned, Richard finishes his smooth galleon hulls in balsa planking, for the look as they are yet cosmetic.

Ashley

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)