yes…but how does it go……

Advert

yes…but how does it go……

Home Forums Soapbox yes…but how does it go……

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ashley needham
    Participant
      @ashleyneedham69188

Gents. Having just read an article in a model boat magazine (u kno the one) Viz a scratch built oar powered galley (simply amazing) I was struck once again that of the 2500 (or so) words published, only perhaps 20 were devoted to the "how it went on the pond" aspect. This seems to be a fairly common thing in articles. I can understand, quite rightly, that the bulk of the article is or should be about the build, but why not have a bit more about its performance on the water…. or is this considered to be a secondary thing..?. Especially in the galley case..for instance..after all that hard work, did it look convincing on the water, did all those little oars thrash or thrust? did it go well forewards and at what sort of pace,did it go backwards? did it turn well> did it manage to ram anything?  Dont get me wrong, I am not digging at this particular article, but items in general. I know if I had built something like this, I would be writing in full flood about its water performance. Any views on this aspect of article writing?    Ashley.

Advert
      The Long Build
      Participant
        @thelongbuild

There have been various scratch built oar powered galleys displayed at shows around the uk.. The last time I saw one in operation was at the Warwick show last year.. Very impressive. Larry

Paul T
        Participant
          @pault84577

Hi Ashley

I don’t know about the model but I believe that the ancient Greeks used to water ski behind theirs.

My sailing experiences usually end in disaster so I wouldn’t want to talk about them.

Paul

The Long Build
          Participant
            @thelongbuild

HI Ashley

I have uploaded some pictures into my gallery of the boat taken at the Warwick show, unfortunately I can not find the Video I Took, but to answer your questions,

Yes it went forwards at a good rate once it got going , yes it turned and no I don’t think it rammed anything.

Also added one more photo as an odd one out picture into the same gallery.

Larry 

Vinnie Branigan
            Participant
              @vinniebranigan92297

You put them into real water?

Vinnie 

The Long Build
              Participant
                @thelongbuild

It was quite an interesting kettle , if you look carefully at the spout t it had steam coming out of it, and went faster than and longer than some of my boats go at the moment, judging by today at the pond.

I have  another couple of pictures of a row boat and the workings , quite amazing.  

Len Ochiltree
                Participant
                  @lenochiltree67043

Hi Ashley,

The Editor did say that he had had to cut the article down to size or it would have filled the mag.

Len

ashley needham
                  Participant
                    @ashleyneedham69188

lack of on-water performance info on articles

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)