Warwick Show not returning

Advert

Warwick Show not returning

Home Forums Shows and Events Warwick Show not returning

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Colin Bishop
      @colinbishop34627

The following has just been posted on the Mayhem website by Meridienne Exhibitions:

Good Afternoon,

We are sorry to announce that the International Model Boat Show will not be returning in 2023.

We know this is disappointing for many of our visitors and exhibitors who have enjoyed the show since it started in 1997.

Post covid, we find ourselves in a very different environment which when coupled with the declining attendance of both trade exhibitors and visitors, leads us sadly to arrive at this decision.

We want to thank everyone who has supported and enjoyed the show over the years.

The Meridienne Team

Advert
      Colin Bishop
        @colinbishop34627
        Chris E
        Participant
          @chrise

In the words of Freddy "another one bites the dust".

Blackpool now has something of a monopoly. Please keep up the good work.

Colin Bishop
            @colinbishop34627

The problem with Blackpool is that it is too far north for easy access from southern areas. I used to visit Warwick for a day. Blackpool would need an ovrernight stay and the traffic can be dreadful, not to mention the fuel cost.. Not an option at my age and I guess that applies to many others living south of Watford.

Colin

Chris E
            Participant
              @chrise

Colin

It applies to me as well but at least I can see the photos from Blackpool. sad

Colin Bishop
                @colinbishop34627

Yes Chris, but you (or I) are not attending the event and helping to make it financially viable. Iain Lewis needs paying visitors to keep the show solvent. I wish him all the luck in the world but it seems that it is still a struggle to break even.

Colin

Chris E
                Participant
                  @chrise

You are, of course right, but I don't think that either of us is in a position to do much about it. I will enjoy the photos for as long as it lasts which will hopefully be for a long time.

David Marks 2
                  Participant
                    @davidmarks2

A very good example of a "viscous circle". The number of the trade stands declined for a variety of reasons e.g internet sales, fuel costs, accommodation costs, owners retiring etc. which reduced the organisers revenue from trade stand spaces. Then due to the reduction in trade stands the number of paying customers declined. In many ways when there was more trade stands the punters could off-set a good deal of the cost of their day out by having no postal charges to pay. I wonder if the Model Engineering Exhibition at the Ally Pally will bite the dust as well, as by the time the next one is due Mayor Khan will have his stricter Emission Zone in place to make the cost even greater.

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

dscf2486.jpgHi Folks,

All is not lost down south, the Southern Model Show at Headcorn Aerodrome in Kent is live and kicking with say 20 local clubs in attendance and a large pool, both my clubs will be there Chantry MBC & Cygnets MBC

It's in September I will look up the exact dates ……………

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 07/02/2023 07:37:16

Dave Smith 17
                      Participant
                        @davesmith17

I live south (ish) of Watford but will try to get to Blackpool – we can managed the drive up on the day, then spend a couple of nights with relatives near Liverpool before driving home,

I lived abroad for a number of years, and very disappointed on my return to find many of the shows I used to attend have gone, such as Child Beale & Greenwich. I understand the reasons, but it means I rarely sail anywhere except my club's water in Oxford.

Colin Bishop
                          @colinbishop34627

Some personal thoughts…

The news that the Warwick International Model Boat Show will not be returning represents a body blow to the hobby. For years it has been regarded as the flagship model boating exhibition and being situated near Leamington its location has been central to England and generally accessible from most parts of the country. Its absence reflects the overall decline of the hobby as model boaters grow older and are less willing or able to man club stands and travel considerable distances to attend shows.

However, the writing has been on the wall for years now with an aging demographic of model boaters and an absence of younger modellers to replace them. The hobby has not managed this situation well when it comes to staging exhibitions and events. It has been obvious for many years the younger generations don’t have the same enthusiasm for model making than their fathers and have other interests to occupy them. Times change. This has resulted in an accelerating decline in model boating and the events associated with it.

Ten years ago there were many national model boating shows and exhibitions all over the UK but with the loss of Warwick we are left with just the Blackpool show. It is a dramatic collapse but with hindsight fully foreseeable. There were too many shows pursuing too few visitors and traders. One popular trader remarked to me that he couldn’t just keep loading up the van every weekend to drive all over England.

For years, event organisers have tended to plough their own furrows independently of each other and this has resulted in slicing attendances to unviable levels for the individual shows, ultimately resulting in their demise. For example, the long established London Model Engineer Exhibition was challenged by Meridienne’s rival event to the detriment of both. The obvious answer was to join forces but the organisers couldn’t agree. For several years there were two shows near Liverpool just a few miles apart, each undermining the other. Smaller shows and events in nearby areas were often arranged on clashing dates and suffered accordingly. Suggestions that shows might be merged were often resisted and the result was that a whole lot of them fell off a cliff at around the same time and this was before the effect of Covid.

Only belatedly is it being realised that single interest shows no longer have a future and diversification is needed. It is the only way forward really. When it comes to model making (and crafts) it is probably true to say that most of us have wider interests than just boats and either pursue them or take an interest in them. I don’t have time or space for model railways but love seeing them at general modelling exhibitions. At Leonardslee Gardens near Horsham, Sussex there is an incredible Dolls House Museum with some stunning exhibits which any modeller can appreciate.

Brighton Modelworld covered just about all types of modelling and many craft subjects and is the sort of thing we need today. Unfortunately it became financially unviable due to the expensive venue, eye watering parking charged by a council which hates cars and of course by its location on the South Coast which is on the wrong side of London and limited the potential footfall. A show like that up at Warwick would be able to tap a much wider customer base although the existing venue would be a bit small.

Will any of this happen? I’m not holding my breath….

Colin

Dave Smith 17
                          Participant
                            @davesmith17

When did Sandown Park model show come to an end? That covered several modelling disciplines, was not hard to get to except for those living in the far north, and had easy parking.

Wings and Wheels has advertised their usual show in June at North Weald, hopefully there will be a few marine traders and exhibitors there to make the queue to get into the car park worth while (that was my experience some years ago).

I am in full agreement that muti-discipline shows are the way forward, even if the marine section is overwhelmed by the aircraft. We have a lot in common, including tools and materials. I am sure I am far from being alone in having spent a number of years flying models before returning to sailing them, so the displays are still of interest.

Richard Simpson
                            Participant
                              @richardsimpson88330

There is going to be a return this year in the form of the Model Engineering Show at Harrogate. In the engineering side there will be at least one model boat club! The show is sharing the event with a model railway show in the other hall. Entry tickets allow access to both shows. I will be there with the Kirklees lads hoping that this try at reinstating a show will be successful. I think combining model engineering, including boats, military vehicles etc. and railways is an excellent idea and I wish them all success. I hope it attracts an audience that makes it viable.

Colin Bishop
                                @colinbishop34627

I attended all the Model Engineer Exhibition shows at Sandown as a marine judge. It was a pretty good venue but there was a perception with a lot of people that it was the wrong side of London and thus difficult to get to. Not altogether true unless you fell foul of delays on the M25 which was difficult to avoid.

It was a cheaper venue than the London sites when the charge to traders at Olympia proved just too much for them.

Traders need to at least break even to make it worth while attending and preferably a bit more. The internet has reduced the need for them to be seen at shows from a purely commercial viewpoint, you can see what you want on their websites.

Colin

Dave Smith 17
                                Participant
                                  @davesmith17

Harrogate would be do-able for me (from Oxfordshire) as my wife likes the town. Last time we there (2011) she went by train and I joined her on my Harley, having ridden over from Finland first. I expect we'd go by car next time!

Will there be a trade presence there? Although I am fortunate in living less than 30 minutes from Howes, I do miss being able to browse and chat with manufacturers and their products and taking a few goodies home as well.

Colin Bishop
                                    @colinbishop34627

I hope the Harrogate show succeeds. Sounds promising.

Colin

Richard Simpson
                                    Participant
                                      @richardsimpson88330

Well I hope I'm not in trouble for reposting this but, as it was sent to my club's website I assume it is for general release. I suspect it has not been forwarded by a lot of boat club secretaries as well, as a lot of people do not seem to have heard about it. Anyway spread the word. I believe there is to be trade stands but I cannot say who will be there.  Below is an edited version

National Model Engineering Show

Model Boat Section – Friday 10th Saturday 11th March 2023

We would like to invite your model boat club to attend the National Model Engineering Show on its return to the popular Yorkshire Events Arena at The Great Yorkshire Showground in Harrogate. As you will see the dates have been brought forward to avoid clashing with similar events and the start of the outdoor show season. The other big change is the scaling down to a 2 day show to save on cost for exhibitors, traders and organisers. Friday and Saturday have always been the two most popular days whilst in common with other events this Sunday attendance has declined.

There will be a reasonable size boat pool. We hope you will be able to attend and look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible with any questions or for further information.

The Yorkshire Event Centre Exhibition Halls have undergone extensive refurbishment and enlargement since the show was held there 6 years ago. As an addition to the exhibition a model railway show will run alongside the model engineering with one admission ticket for both shows.

As you are probably aware I started the Model Engineering Exhibition in 1994 assisted by Lou Rex who came in as a partner in 2010. I retired from the exhibition before its move to Doncaster and now welcome the challenge of bringing the event back to the high standards achieved at Harrogate.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Simon Boak

Edited By Richard Simpson on 07/02/2023 14:36:38

The Long Build
                                      Participant
                                        @thelongbuild

I agree pretty well with most of what has been said, but in some cases it is not always as clear cut as it seems.

In mid-summer in the Cheshire area there was generally just the one show, then another came along and hosted on the same day, yes there were talks about combining the shows but these were rejected by the original show, and not long after were proved to be correct and that they were right to do so.

Also for 1 – 2 years cannot remember but the organiser of many shows decided to set one up in Manchester at Event City on the same Bank Holiday Weekend, Knowing Full well that there was already another Long running event 25+years being hosted on the same day.

Thankfully Blackpool was saved by Iain @ Component shop and the Blackpool Club after it was left in the lurch by the previous organiser.

Also Venues do not help by continuously upping the rates to astronomical figures, which as has been stated does not help by the reduced footfall.

Chris Fellows
                                        Participant
                                          @chrisfellows72943

I didnt think the last two International Model Boat Shows were that badly attended (though I don't have any figures to compare with previous pre-Covid years) and seemed quite busy, especially having being reduced from three days to two. The reduction in traders was becoming noticeable though.

I did wonder on a previous thread, whether, after being cancelled last year following the death of one of the main organisers, it would ever return though and sadly after some optimism by Colin, it is has come to fruition that it will no longer to be the case.

My club, Knightcote, does attend the Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition held during the preceding month i.e. October and it would be great if that event could be expanded and be attended by the clubs that used to go to the International Show because as said, being based in the Midlands, it is easily accessible by a large area of the country.

I don't know if any thought is being given to this as both shows were put on by the same organiser. Perhaps space is an issue though on the existing site which does have the benefit of extensive and free car-parking.

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 07/02/2023 16:43:34

Colin Bishop
                                            @colinbishop34627

I agree that some existing shows were undermined by an individual setting up in competition and behaving badly although this was not always outwardly evident but the result was that the surviving shows emerged considerably weakened.which was bad for the hobby. In London you had two commercial organisations in competition whch essentially wiped both shows out by being over ambitious. Both were chasing profits rather than supporting the hobby and there weren't enough profits to be made with the more prestigious venues pricing themseves beyond the means of modelling traders who generally are not rich people, just small family businesses. Basically the venues were charging Boat Show prices to model suppliers and that was never going to end well.

An interesting review a while back here:

**LINK**

I attended the last Warwick International Boat Show events and whilst they may have given the impression of being well attended, footfall was significantly down.Traders were also unhappy about the high stall rates and many regulars did not attend. The last two shows were still good in terms of the support from clubs but overall there was a very noticeable decline over earlier years. I can understand why Meridienne no longer feel able to stage the event. They are commercial organisers and need to make a profit on the events they host. The sad fact is that the various factors involved have combined to make the Model Boat Show financially unviable.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 07/02/2023 18:24:57

neil hp
                                            Participant
                                              @neilhp
                                              Posted by Colin Bishop on 06/02/2023 18:37:56:

The problem with Blackpool is that it is too far north for easy access from southern areas. I used to visit Warwick for a day. Blackpool would need an ovrernight stay and the traffic can be dreadful, not to mention the fuel cost.. Not an option at my age and I guess that applies to many others living south of Watford.

Colin

its only the same for us living upt norf, Colin to visit shows down south…….

sadly though, some shows never changed to the demands and requirements of modellers. Blackpool not only caters for boaters, but steam buffs, truck and vehicle [tanks and such] modelers and rock crawlers these days, but Blackpool itself has its own "charms" with reasonably cheap hotel accomodation plus of course the world famous Tower complex and its lluminations.

and that i believe is where the show is going from strength to strength, whilst others are faiding away sadly.

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 07/02/2023 20:55:19

lifeboat lover
                                              Participant
                                                @lifeboatlover

gentlemen modellboat builders a good day

it's with sadness that i hear that the Warwick exhibition will no longer take place. Livind in Europe the intermodellbau in Dortmund is our place to go. Unfortunately they walk in the same direction as the Warwick one. Before the covid all the halls were filled in total 12 huge halls with everything regarding modells planes, helicopters, cars, trains an artificial inside pond, room for flights etc

Last year they cancelled, 2021 only 4 halls. For this year i m looking forward to what is going to happen. When i started building modellboats i was 15 and there were no computergames or thing that could interest young people. We as member of the board of ROYAL MODELL YACHT CLUB ANTWERP; We do have the same problem as you guys. Elderly people…….. but no youngsters to join. We need to face that the day will come that we need to stop.

But as long as we can we keep on building( unfortunately the fire at the succesor of speedline as i ordered a 1/12 scale Tamar with the windows from mas moiuldings….

regards

Herman lifeboatlover

Trevor Drabble 1
                                                Participant
                                                  @trevordrabble1

Herman , I agree with you regarding Dortmund . I went for 2 full days in 2019 and it was UNBELIEVABLE in every sense , including the number of youngsters and the special events put on for them . The exhibitors included RDG with their customary huge stand . The current web page for this year's 20th-23rd April event quotes 500 exhibitors and 80,000 visitors in 10 halls , and all for only €14.50 ( £12.90) entry a real bargain.

Trevor.

Ray Wood 3
                                                  Participant
                                                    @raywood3

Hi All,

I think the decline in practical hobbies and thus the shows foot fall here is partly due to the lack of practical school subjects is the root of the decline in practical hobbies in the UK that and the invention of the computer , I guess we in our 50's 60's 70's & 80's still had woodwork and metalwork and technical drawing as school subjects ?. I had craft teachers in the 1970's who didn't know what a lathe could do or how to use it !! as they had not studied at University, the attitude of looking down on practical skills has been the case in this country for the last 50 years I suppose that explains the big Financial services section here.

I think this may not be the case in European countries ?

Regards Ray

Richard Simpson
                                                    Participant
                                                      @richardsimpson88330

I agree Ray. My secondary school had a superbly fitted out woodwork shop with around eight or so full individual woodwork benches, a very well fitted out metalwork shop similarly equipped with a fully functioning and well used forge and, between the two, a combined workshop where we had all sorts of machine tools including lapidary machines etc for polishing stones to make jewellery. All the H&S bods nowadays would have a fit letting kids loose on such horrendously dangerous tools and machinery but it's how we learned to make things.

The thing is organisations such as schools are all terrified nowadays of being exposed to litigation, something we learned from across the pond, and so go to great lengths to avoid any risk rather than take a chance of a parent suing the school for negligence. I tend to think we don't have 'Risk Management' anymore, we simply have 'Risk Avoidance'. In my day we learned by our mistakes. I once cut down the inside of my thumb with a chisel and ended up being stitched up in A&E. There was no question of suing the school, it was my own stupid fault for cutting towards my hand. It did ensure though that I have never cut towards my hand ever since. Nowadays parents would be looking to claim hundreds of thousands for the same thing happening so schools simply can't afford to take the chance.

Edited By Richard Simpson on 12/02/2023 16:12:45

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)