Virgin Atlantic Challenger O/D Help Sought

Advert

Virgin Atlantic Challenger O/D Help Sought

Home Forums Scratch build Virgin Atlantic Challenger O/D Help Sought

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Raggedy Man
    Participant
      @raggedyman89722

After many years of looking at doing it but stalling 2019 is the year I set this project going.

I want to build a model of Virgin Atlantic Challenger. The first one. The one that errm sunk.

I've a copy of the Ernst-Bernd Bahn plan which is approx. 63cm long and a beam of 20.5cm. I'm going to use this as my basis and enlarge it. The hull I will build from glass fibre rather than wood. All good so far with my skill set.

Now the problem is it's been a long time since I dabbled with R/C and power trains and batteries have progressed somewhat so I'm looking for pointers as to which way is best to proceed.

I want to make the boat electric. Twin electric. What size can I realistically make the boat when powered by electric and what drives/power would you suggest. I'm thinking somewhere between the 40 – 80 inch mark or is that way off the mark ?

Any pointers are hugely appreciated. Sorry if it seems a daft question. The modelling skills are there, I just need a kick start on what's achievable with power lol.

Advert
      Raggedy Man
      Participant
        @raggedyman89722

Needing some power train advice 🙂

Empire Parkstone
        Participant
          @empireparkstone
          John W E
          Participant
            @johnwe

hi there, the link the gent Empire Parkstone has added is for the Virgin Atlantic 2 build on mayhem – I believe the gent was looking for information on Virgin Atlantic 1 which was a Catamaran design hull. Sadly it sunk – now there was an article along with the original plan in either Marine Modelling International magazine or Model Boats mag – I know the plan is available on the dreaded Ebay marketplace, but, I think it may have been printed off on A3 sheets which I have heard along the grapevine may give a lot of problems lining the plan up to get the lines / etc right. No doubt the original plan calls for standard brush motors – but with today's technology brushless motors/speed controllers, someone somewhere will be able to come along and advise. Now to see if I can find the magazine which has the plan in for the Virgin Atlantic 1. I think we have done something like this before cool

Raggedy Man
            Participant
              @raggedyman89722

VAC 1 was indeed the Catamaran. An interesting link though re the VAC 2. Been after a Prestwich hull for yonks but never found one. If anyone out there has one……………..

I'm lucky in the plan I've got. Still got the magazine and plan that my dad bought home for me when returning home from work one Saturday morning when I was a kid. Now I'm not saying it's mint……………but it's not going to give me problems with lining everything up.

Cheers for the comments so far though

John W E
              Participant
                @johnwe

Hi there, would you be able to let us know which issue the plans are in ? and whether its a Model Boats mag or Marine Modelling? yes

Dave Milbourn
                Participant
                  @davemilbourn48782

I want to make the boat electric. Twin electric. What size can I realistically make the boat when powered by electric and what drives/power would you suggest. I'm thinking somewhere between the 40 – 80 inch mark or is that way off the mark ?

To get back to your original question I would venture that 80" is much too large for electric power, and pretty much borderline for any sort of power short of two large petrol engines. It would also be a monster to transport and handle at the lakeside. 40" sounds about right. The only other thing you should set out at this stage is to use brushless motors. These have a far greater power/weight ratio than their brushed equivalent. Quite which ones will depend on the actual size of the model, but I'd suggest two outrunners of 35mm diameter and maybe 750 – 100kv for a 40" hull, running three-blade props of around 40-45mm diameter. I'd start with 3S LiPo battery packs [11.1v]. Avoid inrunners, which tend to be fast-revving and low torque.

Dave M

Edited By Dave Milbourn on 21/01/2019 09:49:13

John W E
                  Participant
                    @johnwe

Been trying to copy the link – but it wont work – so google the page below – it comes up with build of model for Virgin Challenger 1 – this model is over 4ft long.

this could be an interesting read – not sure if you have seen/read the topic

Challengers 2. Independent World Record Holders for long distance power models.

Edited By John W E on 21/01/2019 18:35:40

Edited By John W E on 21/01/2019 18:39:03

Edited By John W E on 21/01/2019 18:39:53

harry smith 1
                    Participant
                      @harrysmith1

Hi Raggedy Man

One of our club members has an old fibreglass Fantome ( about 46&quot with twin G60-500 kv 1500 Watt brushless motors (50mm diameter) on 6S Lipo batteries with 50mm 3bladed props.

The thing is a dam rocket !!

He did have 60mm 3 bladed props on it , but barrel roll it with the torque of the props.

Hope this helps !!!

Harry

Dave Milbourn
                      Participant
                        @davemilbourn48782

The thing is a dam rocket !!

Why am I not surprised? I don't think we have many waters large enough to "sail" anything like that – maybe Coniston Water?

DM

Raggedy Man
                        Participant
                          @raggedyman89722
                          Posted by John W E on 21/01/2019 08:50:06:

Hi there, would you be able to let us know which issue the plans are in ? and whether its a Model Boats mag or Marine Modelling? yes

Hi there, Sorry for the delay in replying. The magazine the original VAC1 plans were in was Radio Control Boat Modeller and it was the January/February 1986 edition of the mag.

Raggedy Man
                          Participant
                            @raggedyman89722

Thanks for all the pointers guys. I had scaled things roughly on paper after I'd posted the opening post to the thread and suddenly realised I had perhaps been a little optimistic with the upper size dimensions I had suggested embarrassed

Ernst-Bernd Bahn
                            Participant
                              @ernst-berndbahn33153

Hello from Germany, I did the plans of Virgin Atlantic Challenger One and later on of VAC Two.

If someone needs some help for my plan, I can give you a helping hand (if this is allowed by Model Boat Magazine).

I have copies of both the plans and magazines. The plan of VAC Two was published in germany by a magazine, which isn't alive since many years. The model based on a hull of Graupner Portofino. Later on there was an american MRP kit from Gentry Eagle, which used a very similar hull. So one can build a near scale model of it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)