Victory Industries Vosper R.A.F. Crash Tender

Advert

Victory Industries Vosper R.A.F. Crash Tender

Home Forums Collectors’ corner Victory Industries Vosper R.A.F. Crash Tender

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    John Hooper 3
    Participant
      @johnhooper3

I have this 1950s model boat but minus the drive belt, which has perished. The "Mighty Midget" electric motor connects to the two pulleys using the belt.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find a suitable replacement belt?

Advert
      John Hooper 3
      Participant
        @johnhooper3
        Dodgy Geezer 1
        Participant
          @dodgygeezer1

Use a rubber band. As I recall from the 1960s, that's what was used then.

John Hooper 3
          Participant
            @johnhooper3

A good idea, but I was hoping someone could tell me the size? Buying one rubber band seems difficult these days.

Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627

I don't think anyone will know the size but you can measure the length of elastic needed by running a piece of string or wire round where the band will go and then looking for a driving band which is slightly smaller in diameter to allow for the elasticity. Don't be tempted to use an O ring for that setup as they don't like it if you pull them too much out of the circular.

If you Google 'small rubber driving bands' or 'cassette driving bands' there are plenty of suppliers.

**LINK**

In your situation I would mount an 'idler' pulley or roller above the motor and fixed to the plate supporting the prop tubes which can be clamped to adjust for height. Then you can use that to take up any slack if your driving band is a bit too loose.

Colin

Kev.W
              Participant
                @kev-w

This place has just about every size a model boater will need. laugh **LINK**

John Hooper 3
                Participant
                  @johnhooper3

Thank you for the links, they are very useful.

Do you think that the belt should be flat or round in cross section, as the motor has a V section pully but the propeller shaft pulley is flat?

Dodgy Geezer 1
                  Participant
                    @dodgygeezer1

Rubber bands do stretch quite a lot! They usually come in assorted sizes, you need a pack which has a variety including 1" diameter to 1.5" diameter. That would be a band between 1.5" and 2.5" long when the band is squashed flat.  That should cost £1 or less.

The discrepancy in pulley sections is odd, but it is correct – I have both the Vosper Crash Tender and the Vosper triple-screw Express yacht in that series, and they both have the flat pulley on the prop-shaft. I might guess that this simply what could be obtained at that time…but it might also mean that alignment is not critical, allowing the prop-shaft to move backwards and forwards without the band coming off…

Rubber bands are square section. Use a square band – not a flat one, so that it can fit in the Mighty Midget drive pulley. Then run the boat for a bit while observing the drive to make sure that it stays on while running. With a cheap assortment pack you can chose the best size, and then buy a more expensive one at the best size if that is what you want…

Edited By Dodgy Geezer on 15/08/2017 14:34:28

John Hooper 3
                    Participant
                      @johnhooper3

Thank you. One other question, the only thing missing from the boat is the radio ariel from the wheelhouse. I have been to my local model shop to find a replacement (I think it was brass) but again not having any luck with the correct diameter.

Can anyone help me with that information please?

Dodgy Geezer 1
                      Participant
                        @dodgygeezer1

Mine measures at .050". Around 1.27mm. It will be an Imperial measurement. But these old plastic boats distort with age – so I can't be sure of your size. You are better off bringing the boat to the shop, finding the nearest size up, and then either sanding a little bit off the aerial or drilling the hole out to match…  Shame that these boats are so difficult to convert to radio control…

Edited By Dodgy Geezer on 15/08/2017 15:20:08

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)