Twin-stick Tx

Advert

Twin-stick Tx

Home Forums R/C & Accessories Twin-stick Tx

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mzee
    Participant
      @mzee

Anyone had experience fabricating a twin stick TX? That Robbe set is just far too expensive for a pensioner (! ;-)) My latest model tug (C.F. Kayser) has a small rudder and so it is imperative that I have full proportional control over the twin motors. I’ve considered making a twin-stick set-up by modifying my old Futaba Tx but would appreciate any suggestions from someone who has tried this before. I have the mechanical ability but my electronics ken went out with crystal sets!!!!

Advert
      Former Member
      Participant
        @formermember51289

[This posting has been removed]

Mzee
        Participant
          @mzee

Thanks for the suggestion Glynn. I’ve considered this option but would prefer the twin sticks to be a one had job if I can. Another suggestion sent to me was to rotate a stick unit through 45 degrees so as to give left / right, and straight up / down feeds both servos.

Graham Haden
          Participant
            @grahamhaden82325

Robin, You can buy mixing units for boats that will do exactly what you want, inputs are steering and speed, outputs are steering and up to three motors.
            As you steer to port, the port motor slows down and the starboard motor speeds up, rudder works as normal.
            These units are available in the UK.

stewart somerton
            Participant
              @stewartsomerton50348

I’m intersted in glynn’s tank stearing idea to solve problem of my own. but how does receiver switch motor on and off (whithout melting)? please exuse my probable ignorance stewart

Graham Haden
              Participant
                @grahamhaden82325

Each motor requires an ESC, The throttle & steering from the RX go in to the unit, the outputs are to your steering servo and 2 or 3 speed controllers “ESC”
                Check this out http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/

Mzee
                Participant
                  @mzee

Many thanks Graham – I appreciate the interest. I took an in-depth look at the ACTion website and they do indeed have some marvelous stuff there. However, the reason I’m particularly stuck on a twin stick set-up is so that I can go ahead on one engine and astern on the other in order to maneuver in similar manner to the prototype (and twin screw tugs in general). While on a recent visit to the UK and the usual pilgrimage to the Westbourne Model Centre in Bournemouth I was told of a person who will convert radios (only those with electronic trim) to a twin stick configuration for £60 which I thought pretty reasonable – only trouble was I didn’t have my r/c stuff with me 🙁 Thanks again, Robin

Mzee
                  Participant
                    @mzee
                  Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)