transmiters

Advert

transmiters

Home Forums All things floating transmiters

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    delph
    Participant
      @delph

is it just me, or understanding the manual is nearly impossible! it often takes 2/3 calls to my brainy mate just to “link” with the receiver. years later to get my head round “exponential”. now what is this mixing channel x to y do? does anyone use it and what does it do? again my brainy mate tried to help but eventually gave up and through in the towel. is there anything else I’m missing?

Chris

Advert
      Richard Simpson
      Participant
        @richardsimpson88330

“Mixing”, as the name suggests is simply combining two functions into a single command from your transmitter.  The aircraft hobby uses it a lot more than the model boat hobby.

It can be of value when controling a model boat when, for instance you have two shafts and you want to combine the operation of the shafts independantly for steering so you mix the rudder function with the shaft speed.  i.e. for shallow turns one shaft might slow down and the other might remain at a faster speed but for tight turns the inside shaft might stop or even go astern while also applying rudder.  This can all be done by mixing in the transmitter where one channel can be set up to respond to a command in another channel.

That’s as far as I go I’m afraid!  I’ve never used it and I never intend using it as I see it as far too complicated for my purposes and, above all, I want my models to operate as simply as possible.  I’m quite happy operating two shafts independently and apply rudder as and when I feel it needs it.  But that’s just me.  I’ve also seen an example where stabilisers were ‘mixed’ in with the rudder command such that turning the rudder also applied an appropriate righting movement of the stabilisers to help prevent the model heeling over.

An “Exponential” relationship is simply a relationship between two variables that correspond to a mathematical formula whereby one variable, the ‘Y’ going up, is equal to the corresponding other variable, the ‘X’ going along, raised to a particular power, or exponent.  When plotted they always give a graph that starts off very shallow but increase rapidly over time.  Look at a graph of the population of the UK over the last 2000 years.  That is the type of shape of an exponential relationship.

Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi Chris,

The mixing function is more useful for RC Aeroplanes on a delta type model with elevons to mix the aileron and elevator functions, I have never used it for a model boat, so far.

Regards Ray

delph
          Participant
            @delph

thanks,

so in reality I’m not missing out. I think I will leave well alone.

Richard you sound just like “my” brains mate. you two really need to get together!

again thanks

Chris

Richard Simpson
            Participant
              @richardsimpson88330

Sorry Chris, easy to slip into ramble mode.  I’m the first to throw my hands in the air though when I think things are unecessarily complicated and we fall into the trap of using technology for the sake of technology and not because it makes anything better for us!

I’m convinced you can live very well without using mixing in your model boat controls!

Colin Bishop
                @colinbishop34627

I like the ACTion Electronics external mixer/ESCs for brushed motors which pre date the mixer function incorpoated in transmitters but it’s a personal thing really. I think the earlier TX mixer functions did not operate on the Channels normally used for model boating throttle and steering functions but the newer ones are more flexible.

Our late former Editor Paul Freshney managed perfectly OK with his twin screw boats by having limit switches triggered by the tiller position whicb cut out the inboard propeller on a turn. Cheap, cheerful and effective!

The mounting of the limit switch could be adjusted to suit requirements such as only coming into effect when the helm is nearly hard over for example.

Back in the 1980s I used this system on my two channel radio Isle of Wight ferry Shanklin except that I used stacked double limit switches operated by the tiller to run the motors in opposite directions (sort of automated tank steering) to spin the boat in its own length. It all worked a treat but the wiring was somewhat complicated. I came across the circuit diagram I devised not so long ago but my current brain struggled to get my head around it!

Colin

Shanklin DTR

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)