Thames Barge Veronica

Advert

Thames Barge Veronica

Home Forums Sailing Models Thames Barge Veronica

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Robert Thompson 11
    Participant
      @robertthompson11

Good Evening everybody.

My name Is Bob Thompson from Chelmsford, I am a member of the Chelmsford Society of Model Engineers.

I have been mainly involved with building and running steam locomotives but we do have an enthusiastic boating section as well.

I am currently building the Thames Barge Veronica using the Sarik Hobbies package as a basis.

For my sins I am also attempting the BIG RIG version but am having a problem confirming the length of the bowsprit.

The drawn version on the spar plan DRG 7 is drawn 1/24 scale at 25 ft with a rider stating could be longer up to 35ft.

The sail plan for the Big Rig which is drawn at 1/48th shows the bowsprit length at 11 1/4 inches so at 1/24 scale would be 22 1/2 inches long which is considerably longer than 35 ft As this will clearly affect the sizes of the foresail and staysail I am not sure which is right .

Any Ideas or pointers would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Bob Thompson

Advert
      Robert Thompson 11
      Participant
        @robertthompson11

Length of bowsprit??

Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum, you'll be among friends here as there are quite a few of us who steam as well as sail

The original TSB Veronica was literally shaken to bits by the big rigs they fitted her with for racing and getting every extra knot of speed out of her

The bad news is the 1/24th scale Veronica doesn't really sail too well with the big rig, she is rather out of balance, Peter Simmonds from the Isle of Wight and a keen AMBO member has built over a dozen in the last few years, of which I have one and have raced her for the last 4 years.

Your original question really comes back to transportation as the barge even with the top mast dropped is quite awkward.

I believe the length of a 45 ft bowsprit has been mentioned which would equate to the 22 1/2"

The AMBO Facebook page gets a lot more traffic from folk building Veronica, and there is a thread on the forum called Thames Sailing Barge stuff which may help you with photos etc.

Regards Rayv&a ambo finals sept 17 039.jpg

Robert Thompson 11
          Participant
            @robertthompson11

Hi Ray

Good to hear from you and thanks for the welcome the feedback and the lovely pics.

I may have to rethink which version to settle for although it is a shame that I have already build the main mast.

I noticed on the DVD that came in the package that mention was made of an additional tube for the keel mounting was put in to cater for a bigger rig.

I have built a couple of tugs and a Clyde Puffer but this is my first venture into sail power and already have been impressed at some of the build quality seen on this forum. Clearly there is a vast amount of knowledge here.hope to speak to you again in the near future many thanks for your assistance

Regards

Bob

Stuart Z 1
            Participant
              @stuartz1

Hi

I’m interested in having a go at a Thames Barge and Veronica looks good, given there is a kit available, however, what sort of ballast does it take. Is it available ready made? Don’t fancy hot lead work.

S

Tim Rowe
              Participant
                @timrowe83142

Hello Ray

I am toying with the big rig as an option.

In what way is the boat out of balance? Is this in the sense of lee helm or weather helm? Or simply a matter of stability?

Thanks

Tim R

Ray Wood 3
                Participant
                  @raywood3

Hi Tim,

As I mentioned in a previous post on this thread,his intel comes from Peter Simmonds who has tried it, there is some movement fore and aft of the Lee boards on the fullsize barges, so theoretically big rig equals more power = more speed ?? but must be fighting the helm with all that power at the front with a 22" bowsprit ?

I'm waiting to meet up with Peter soon to take delivery of his barge yacht "Tiny Mite" which is a little 30" beauty which I managed to prise out of his grasp, but as he's based IOW may take a while

Pictures to follow, DH Beaver project has gone back to the loft as the drawing is not very good, but ordered a plan for a DH 60 80" span a David Boddington design

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 26/04/2021 19:29:01

Tim Rowe
                  Participant
                    @timrowe83142

Hello Ray

Thanks. I have arranged to be able to move the fine keel forward for the big rig but I will go into the detail in your TSB thread where I am going to post some pictures and notes.

The big rig looks the business.

Tim R

Tim Rowe
                    Participant
                      @timrowe83142

Double post but will make use of it by saying I will visit the AMBO on FB

Tim R

Edited By Tim Rowe on 26/04/2021 20:29:36

Ray Wood 3
                      Participant
                        @raywood3

Hi Stuart,

Veronica is well drawn, with most details shown on the plans It would be worth your while looking at Mastmans website for Vac formed bulb keels which he can supply to be filled with lead shot, saves having the cast your own Have a look at the Thames Barge Stuff thread on this forum many pictures on there or my album "Rays Boats" may give you some tips.

Regards Ray

Stuart Z 1
                        Participant
                          @stuartz1

Thanks Ray,

Very helpful – I’ll research as per your suggestions. Very new to the hobby so a lot to learn, good to get your help on this.

Thanks a lot

S

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)