tea clippers

Advert

tea clippers

Home Forums Sailing Models tea clippers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    hutch
    Participant
      @hutch73959

plans for tea clipper

Advert
      hutch
      Participant
        @hutch73959

Hi Guys

I am looking for full size plans for a working model of Ariel a 1860 tea clipper

regards

Hutch

Dodgy Geezer 1
        Participant
          @dodgygeezer1

What do you mean by 'full-size'? The original builders documentation?

Googling will readily find you this sort of thing – **LINK** – which you would need to scale up to whatever size you want….

Bob Abell 2
          Participant
            @bobabell2

Hello there, Hutch

Nice to hear from you again

There was a free plan a few years ago, with the name Ariel and it was a sailing ship

So you should find it in the Plans Section of this magazine

Also……..I think Gareth Jones has a built model, which his lady wife, Elizabeth renovated and posted a few pix about two months ago

So there you are……….Plenty of scope to search through

All the best………Bob

Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627

You can buy the plans here:

**LINK**

Colin

Gareth Jones
              Participant
                @garethjones79649

Hi Hutch,

There is an article on my wife's model of Ariel in the January 2017 edition of Model Boats magazine. The original model was built to the plans referred to by Colin above, but these are a very much simplified representation of the original vessel. Elizabeth used David MacGregor's book The Tea Clippers as a reference during the restoration/conversion of the model.

Here is a picture of the finished article

ariel 4.jpg

Gareth

hutch
                Participant
                  @hutch73959

HI Bob,Gareth,Guys,

Thank you for the quick replys and the Info about the tea clipper Ariel I have now been to the library and have borrowed the Jan 2017 mag with the article, what great job your wife Elizabeth and you have done Gareth.I only hope I can do the same with my model of Ariel.but in the mean time I will have to finish building the 1/72 scale working U boat that I am in the middle of working on and yes I am taking lots of build photos.

Regards to all

Hutch.

hutch
                  Participant
                    @hutch73959

Just a foot note the plans are still available from Traplet approx $30.00 aud.

cheers

Hutch

hutch
                    Participant
                      @hutch73959

HI Guys,

Ihave ordered the plans from Traplet they have a office in Sydney NSW .

It will be 4 to six weeks before I can get my grubby hands on them plans!

One thing I would like to know from you Gareth is the size of the keel come stand as used on your model"Ariel"

as to me this sounds the way to go,.and any other help you can give me would be great,

Regards,

Hutch

Gareth Jones
                      Participant
                        @garethjones79649

Hi Hutch,

The keel/stand on Ariel is made from 30 mm wide 2 mm thick steel strip and the V shaped end supports are 41 cm apart. When resting on the stand there is 11 cm clearance between the bottom of the hull and the ground.

If you have any questions or want any more information or detailed photographs of Elizabeth's model feel free to ask.

When you get your copy of the plans just bear in mind the scaling oddity I found with our copy. Its mentioned in the last posting on the first page in the link below.

**LINK**

Regards

Gareth

Edited By Gareth Jones on 02/06/2017 20:18:41

hutch
                        Participant
                          @hutch73959

Hi Gareth

Re Ariel.

I would like as much info,what and were you had to buy parts,and build photos that you can give me.

as this will be my first fully rig working model,will use plank on frame.for the hull.

I have scratch built ,a war ship 5.5 ft long it still runs, two sail boats, a fishing boat all about 25years ago

have ,two tugs built this year. one a paddle wheeler and a springer pusher, these are made totally from plastic sheet all are Radio Control.plus the sub.

Regards,

Hutch [email protected].

hutch
                          Participant
                            @hutch73959

Hi Guys,Gareth,

Had a look for a copy of David Macgregor's book Tea Clippers, amazon wants over $ 400.00 Australian dollars for a second hand one!!!I don't think so, but my library has Eric Kentley's Cutty Sark this has the plans and a wealth of info.

Cheers,

Hutch

Gareth Jones
                            Participant
                              @garethjones79649

Hutch,

I think we only paid about £15 for the David MacGregor book secondhand. It has a huge amount of information on a vast number of tea clippers but I would not pay 400 dollars for it.

If it's of any help I could scan the relevant Ariel drawings for you as she was different from Cutty Sark. If you want me to do this send me your email address by private message on the forum.

Regards

Gareth

hutch
                              Participant
                                @hutch73959

HI guys

My model of Ariel is coming along quite well so far I have the lower masts set into the ballrace bearings at the base of the masts and just below the deck,the mast will rotate with the spars fix to the masts.

The foremast will have its own servo , the main and mizzen will share a servo, plus the rudder will have its own servo,Have made the brass arms for the servos and masts and will be using snap ball joints and rods for control.Have made the rudder post and rudder used brass straps 3 to hold the rudder to the brass shaft.

will keep you all posted on the buils progress.

Cheers,

Hutch

Banjoman
                                Participant
                                  @banjoman

Hutch,

Should you still be looking for the book in question, there are several second-hand copies of the 1983 edition available at the UK Amazon site from £4.80 and upwards: **LINK** – I just ordered one for myself which, with postage to Belgium, came to a total of £12.82.

There are also several second-hand copies available of the original, 1952 edition – see **LINK** – although I think this book is of less interest as the 1983 edition was essentially an extended version of the original one.

I haven't checked if any of the sellers will ship to Austraila, and at what cost, but it might at least be worth your while to take them through the initial ordering process to find out?!

Mattias

hutch
                                  Participant
                                    @hutch73959

Hi Mattias

Thank you for the info, so far I have The Tea Clippers by David R Macgregor, bought from New Zealand, and Ship Modeling Simplified By Frank Mastini, plus a magazine, Marine Modelling international Issue 365, this has an article on the Queen Margaret a four masted Barque model, and the internet is very helpful.

Regards,

Hutch

Adelaide Down Under.

hutch
                                    Participant
                                      @hutch73959

Hi Gareth,

Could you please show me how the jib sails sheets are attached to the deck of Ariel as I can not find any photos of how its done it would be a great help as I am sewing the sails now ready for rigging. The build has been slow with other things like fixing the leaking water tank and the cold weather I know not as cold as you have but its still cold for us here in Adelaide roll on summer!!

Regards,

Hutch.

Gareth Jones
                                      Participant
                                        @garethjones79649

Hi Hutch,

On the real vessel, I believe the jib sail sheets were taken to belaying pins fitted in a pin rail around the bulwarks on the right hand side of the bow. That is just based on Lennarth Petersson's book 'Rigging period ship models'. I have looked through our photos of Cutty Sark but can't find any of the area in question but then Cutty Sark was not fitted with any sails and only had the standing rigging when we visited it.

On Elizabeth's model she took all three sheets to a single small eye in the forecastle deck, just behind the capstan, as shown in the attached photo. They are adjusted with small bowsies, which you can see in the picture, but not controlled by a sail winch. If only we had read Neville Wade's articles on square riggers before Elizabeth restored Ariel the we might have done things differently.

ariel jib sheets.jpg

I sympathise with your slow progress on the model. I am doing no better with my Humber sloop which has been parked on the workbench again, although I am occasionally doing some small jobs making and painting some of the pulley blocks in the rigging. I have been distracted by work on a 10 rater yacht that we acquired last year and currently fitting the sail winch and rudder servo. As you can see from the picture it had previously suffered a bit of an oddball radio conversion and in the process been fitted with a second deck. It will look lovely when its finished though, a really sleek design by John Lewis called Synergy.

synergy.jpg

hutch
                                        Participant
                                          @hutch73959

Hi Gareth,

Sorry for the delay I did reply to your post re fore deck photo thank you I think got lost,I thought that was the case with the sheets so simple,As for Mr N Wade's clipper ships to me it would be a nightmare, I like the simple system of the mast rotating,mine has a servo for each mast , rudder, and spanker as I have said before.

My transmitter 2.4 gHz has the centering springs removed so the sticks can be set in any position.I got this from Mr Wade.

As for your Synergy model it looks as through its sailing very fast just sitting in the cradle!!

Heather and I are off to Melbourne, Victoria by train { its a 11hour trip} for a week then we will return by train we will be going to Float a Boat store to buy some parts for Ariel, they have ad in Model Boats magazine.

Cheers for now ,

Hutch

Adelaide, South Australia

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)