Taycol Motors

Advert

Taycol Motors

Home Forums R/C & Accessories Taycol Motors

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    David Styler
    Participant
      @davidstyler40635

I have a taycol motor which I wish to wire up via an ESP. The motor has three contacts, two on the + side and one -. The two positve ones are for forward and reverse (one for each) so I would welcome advice on the wiring system I should use.

Thanks in advance

Advert
      Charles Oates
      Participant
        @charlesoates31738

It’s not easy to use an esc with a wound field motor to get forward and reverse, though you may be able to use one for speed control only. This is because to reverse a motor such as the taycol you have to change the polarity of just one of the fields, hence the two +ve terminals. You could do it by useing a third channel to operate a change over relay or switcher. This must go between the speed control and the motor, not before the speed control or you may get an expensive phut. It’s also worth remembering that these motors have a high surge current when starting, something you need to bear in mind when selecting a unit. For expert advice why not contact the manufacturers direct. Action electronics and electronise are respected makers.

Chas

Malcolm Frary
        Participant
          @malcolmfrary95515

I had a long conversation with a guy in New Zealand on the old MB forum on this subject. 

Eventually he did a bit of surgery on the motor to separate the field winding terminals and the brush terminals so that he had four terminals.  He then fed the field winding through a bridge rectifier, + and – terminals feeding the winding, ~ connections across the brushes and the ESC output.  It worked, but in retrospect it would have been easier and cheaper to just go out and buy a modern motor.

He also had trouble supressing the motor, as motors from that era were not designed with radio control in mind.

Charles Oates
          Participant
            @charlesoates31738

Malcolms right about the interferance, I tried all manor of the usual supression methods, and ended up making a metal mesh cage for the motor, Mr Faraday to the rescue. Was it worth it? At the time yes, I hate to be beaten by a motor, especialy in a vintage boat, but I now use a modern motor.

Charlie

Telstar
            Participant
              @telstar

Hi David

Looking at your post made me think about using ESC’s on wound field motors.

To maintain good torque while controlling the speed, we/you need to have full field voltage and variable armature voltage.  The answer I came up with (not the only answer I’m sure) was to modify the motor to give four wire out, as in Malcolm’s post, but instead of using a rectified variable voltage for the field use a switcher unit ( would need to have a relay output) to switch the field on and off.

To this end I tried this for myself :-

using a Y lead I ran the ESC and modified switcher off the throttle channel. at center "off" for the ESC the switcher relay was off hence on volts to the field. Either side of off the ESC behaved as normal and the switcher unit energised the relay hence the motor field.   Since the ESC reverses the armature, the field does not need to reverse, bench test carried out worked for me.

I don’t seem able to insert a diagram of the layout

Cheers Telstar

David Styler
              Participant
                @davidstyler40635

Wiring up

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)