Straight pins – Model pins

Advert

Straight pins – Model pins

Home Forums Beginners Straight pins – Model pins

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Charles Nicholas
    Participant
      @charlesnicholas30689

Hi everyone, I have just taken up the building of Model Boats and in some cases it calls for Model Pins, Straight Pins and just Pins, first what are these and secondly where can I get hold of some? They are to hold down ribs and they look like over size staples, I have tried to use map pins, drawing pins etc and none are any good, they all cracked the wood. I have tried all the Model and Hobby shops in the Coventry and surrounding area and none heard of them.

Regards

Charles Nicholas

[email protected]

Advert
      Telstar
      Participant
        @telstar

Hi Charles  With thinner or fragile items I usually pin them down by putting the pins either side of the object, not through it.  also I do use alternatives like tapeing things in place, or clamping them together with clothes pegs (spring type ) or ‘bulldog’ paper clips.

B & Q do some nice little sprung clamps with plastic jaws I find useful

Happy building Tom

Andrew Wiseman
        Participant
          @andrewwiseman

Hi

I would like to build a companion boat for the French Coastal Patrol craft DF37 futured in the July 2006 Marine Modelling Such as the DF50 in the same picture, does anyone have a better picture  of this craft.

Andrew

Malcolm Frary
          Participant
            @malcolmfrary95515

The pins are ordinary dressmakers/stationary pins, widely available.  Some model/craft stores sell them with a plastic bead stuck to the blunt end.  Like telstar says, there is not always a need to pin throught the wood.

Most hardware stores sell modellers clamps in packs of several dozen per pound.  They call them "spring clothes pegs" but we know better.  It is easy to reshape the ends of the wooden ones to get the grip required.

Charles Nicholas
            Participant
              @charlesnicholas30689
            Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)