Sign of the Times :-(

Advert

Sign of the Times :-(

Home Forums Full Size Ships Sign of the Times :-(

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ray Wood 3
    Participant
      @raywood3

sott heybridge 180522.jpgHi All,

My wife and I were doing one of days out to Malden Essex yesterday to see the Thames sailing barges, and thought we would nip round to the Heybridge basin where the canal enters the River Blackwater via a lock, disappointed to see this cluster of lost cause boats moored together, looking at their general condition I would guess the owners have departed this life or walked away this seems to be happening all over the place !

Back in Maldon for lunch I was tempted, but threatened with divorce by my wife if I bought a 26ft bilge keel yacht for sale in a boatyard for £1.00, my full size sailing days seem to be over !! but never a better time to buy a project ??

Regards Ray 

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 19/05/2022 16:02:51

Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3
        Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

The nearest one looks like a Westerly. The hulls seem to go on forever. It would cost a fortune to bring back to saiing condition though – imagine what the engine will be like…

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 19/05/2022 17:16:23

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hi Colin,

Yes the better brands like Westerly seem quite bulletproof and hold their value, a day with a jetwash would make her look like new, but as you say if the engine hasn't been winterised properly lots of money to replace an inboard

Still when I win the lottery things could change

Regards Ray

Peter Vinton
            Participant
              @petervinton69315

I bought a 29’ Westerly last year which had been abandoned for 8 years, but it did have a new engine fitted. I’ve now replaced the windows, hatches, all internal lining, sails and rigging and all new instruments. I’ve spent £7000 so I think it’s been well worthwhile. The only thing I’ve got left to do is make a static and sailing model of her!

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hi Peter,

It sounds like you have managed to pick the right boat to restore I really hanker after another boat, but with mooring fees etc I really can't justify it to the Boss , so models for me ! It will be nice to see you make some models of your Westerly in the future, are any drawings available from the builders ?

I'm working on the drawing for a model of the Spring 25 featured on Howards Way at the moment.

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 21/05/2022 14:47:50

Peter Vinton
                Participant
                  @petervinton69315

I can’t find any drawings, it will have to be made from the profile and deck plan I think.

Chris Fellows
                  Participant
                    @chrisfellows72943

Ray, like you I'd love to have another boat. We were spoiled when we were young as the family had a cottage on the River Avon with a 40 foot landing stage.

Sold it a few years ago though and as you say mooring fees etc. make it expensive now.

Chris

Andy Stone 1
                    Participant
                      @andystone1

The westerlies with a Volvo MD2 engine go on forever, winterising usually is just the removal of either a dynastarstart and alternator and just a plain old starter motor. for a service Maybe or layup in the workshop

Always the Possibly an injector service and air filter change, all depends on how much an owner wants to pay for his winterising service.

Andy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)