Server Upgrade and Site Functionality Issues

Advert

Server Upgrade and Site Functionality Issues

Home Forums News and Feedback Server Upgrade and Site Functionality Issues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Chris Fellows
    Participant
      @chrisfellows72943

As I thought a mammoth task!

It's always a pity when office moves and the attitude of some folks results in the loss of or damage to magazines and the like.

For the last years of my employment I was a data manager and was fortunately able to save a lot of building/construction information from paper files before it got binned, usually before office moves and sort outs and able to extract useful data before they were finally destroyed and input into a property database.

I also saved a load of drawings which I personally collected and took to storage – 3 car loads. Idea was to catalogue them but couldn't find the time. Also thousands of house plans on microfiche. Dont know if they have survived.

Chris

Advert
      Colin Bishop
        @colinbishop34627

Larry, yes, senior moment on the page count there!

Apparently Tony Hadley does have a lot of material in digital format. Whether Morton's would be interested I don't know. as it would still be a big task to make them available online. I will pass the information on anyway.

It's surprising what comes out of the woodwork.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 07/09/2022 09:43:00

Chris E
        Participant
          @chrise

Colin

I do realise that any further back issues included would need to be on a selected pages basis.

It is so nice that the new magazine owners are at least trying to improve the product. Long may it continue.

If we can get the missing past plans issue resolved and the "specials" included that would be a very good result.

Chris Fellows
          Participant
            @chrisfellows72943

Ran out of charge last night!

Colin – Thanks for the info. Thought the British Library would have a set. Just had a quick look and can't see how you can find what magazines they do have and if you can gain access.

The Long Build – wow, and to have Model Maker as well. What a great resource. How much room do all those magazines take up?

The only way they could all be scanned was if the work could be divied up which would be difficult to organise and as said would be a labour of love.

Chris

Darren Hendley
            Keymaster
              @darrenhendley1

A few years ago we invested in an Atiz Bookdrive. It's a great piece of kit, but very time consuming. We bought it to scan, digitise and OCR The Railway Magazine which we had every issue of in our archive dating back to 1897!

Edited By Darren Hendley 1 on 06/09/2022 10:31:12

Chris E
              Participant
                @chrise

The British Library Link is below.

Note that there are missing years. 2001 and 2002 for example.

Also there are missing issues within years so again for example 2000 is only 5 good and 2 defficient issue.

British Library Model Boats Magazine

Chris Fellows
                Participant
                  @chrisfellows72943

Good piece of kit that Darren.

Bit remiss of the British Library to have missing copies! Had hoped that they might have scanned them. The amount of storage required and increasing for all magazines is mind bogling.

ChrisF

Colin Bishop
                    @colinbishop34627

A few years ago we invested in an Atiz Bookdrive. It's a great piece of kit, but very time consuming. We bought it to scan, digitise and OCR The Railway Magazine which we had every issue of in our archive dating back to 1897!

My Special issues included quite a lot of material from the archives which needed to be scanned in and reformatted. Many of these included imperial fractional measusrements which my OCR program hated and it was very laborious to go through and edit them!

Thanks for the British Library link Chris.

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 07/09/2022 09:43:36

The Long Build
                    Participant
                      @thelongbuild
                      Posted by Chris Fellows on 06/09/2022 10:14:06:

The Long Build – wow, and to have Model Maker as well. What a great resource. How much room do all those magazines take up?

Chris

Hi Chris, they are currently stored in boxes but if stacked up the probably around 6ft..!!, and even higher if in the Folders .

Edited By The Long Build on 06/09/2022 22:07:40

Chris Fellows
                      Participant
                        @chrisfellows72943

Is that MB and MM, I thought they'd fill a small room!

Chris

Colin Bishop
                          @colinbishop34627

The 2010 60th Anniverasary Commemorative issue is now in the Digital Archive. It doesn't look qute identical to the printed copy as it has been reassembled from my proof reading pdf files and the advertising pdfs are not available. However, all the editorial material is there in the right order. The issue includes several complete reproductions of plans too!

Now i have to find some time to sort out the other Special Issues!

Colin

Chris E
                          Participant
                            @chrise

Colin

That is really good. Thank you for your efforts. It has come over very well onto the archive.

Chris

PS Love the small plans.

Colin Bishop
                              @colinbishop34627

Glad you approve Chris.

The Special issues were an opportunity to collect together some really useful features of general interest, many from people no longer writing for the magazine.

Colin

Colin Bishop
                                @colinbishop34627

I have now reconstructed the 2011 Construction Special issue from my PC files and sent it off to Darren. Hopefully it will appear shortly.

Others to follow with a bit of luck!

Colin

The Long Build
                                Participant
                                  @thelongbuild
                                  Posted by Chris Fellows on 07/09/2022 09:09:15:

Is that MB and MM, I thought they'd fill a small room!

Chris

Hi Chris, yes Both MM & MB, the first 2 boxes contain 23 years worth !!, and then 1 more box for 2021-22 needs adding to the top, cannot see to get picture to rotate the correct way.20220907_181511.jpg

Colin Bishop
                                    @colinbishop34627

The 2011 Construction Special is now live on the Digital Archive. Lots of really useful stuff from Brian King, Paul Freshney and Glynn Guest among other well known names. Also Contains a pdf of Vic Smeed's famous Bustler tug.

Colin

Chris E
                                    Participant
                                      @chrise

thumbs up

Chris E
                                      Participant
                                        @chrise

Colin

Having read the 2 Specials I have been impressed.As you say they contain lots of good older material which is both relevant and interesting.

Are you still going to add 2012 , 2013 & 2015 when you have the time to do so?

The Long Build
                                        Participant
                                          @thelongbuild

I am sure I read here about the fix for the Pocket mags site, but cannot see it anywhere, The last Issue I have showing on that site is August 22, how was this resolved ?.

Chris E
                                          Participant
                                            @chrise

This is caused by the changeover to the new owners systems.

Customer services know exactly what to do but it involves rel logging in to your PocketMags account.

It is all fine after you have done it.

Edited By Chris E on 26/09/2022 07:04:42

Darren Hendley
                                            Keymaster
                                              @darrenhendley1
                                              Posted by The Long Build on 25/09/2022 22:59:03:

I am sure I read here about the fix for the Pocket mags site, but cannot see it anywhere, The last Issue I have showing on that site is August 22, how was this resolved ?.

Can you PM me your pocketmags email and I'll fix it.

It should have been automatic, but it hasn't worked for everyone unfortunately

Colin Bishop
                                                @colinbishop34627

Are you still going to add 2012 , 2013 & 2015 when you have the time to do so?

Chris, yes, I've been away for a week but we hope to get three more Special Issues up as long as I still have all the necessary material.

Colin

The Long Build
                                                Participant
                                                  @thelongbuild
                                                  Posted by Darren Hendley 1 on 26/09/2022 09:09:59:

Hi Darren

PM sent, Thanks.

Darren Hendley
                                                  Keymaster
                                                    @darrenhendley1
                                                    Posted by The Long Build on 27/09/2022 20:32:17:

Posted by Darren Hendley 1 on 26/09/2022 09:09:59:

Hi Darren

PM sent, Thanks.

Got it – all fixed!

The Long Build
                                                    Participant
                                                      @thelongbuild

Thanks, All Good.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 87 total)