Server Upgrade and Site Functionality Issues

Advert

Server Upgrade and Site Functionality Issues

Home Forums News and Feedback Server Upgrade and Site Functionality Issues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Darren Hendley
    Keymaster
      @darrenhendley1

Good afternoon everyone,

As you may be aware, Model Engineer, Model Engineers' Workshop and Model Boats were recently acquired by Mortons Media Group.

This thread would be a good place to post with any problems you are having with the sites.

The reason for this post is that tomorrow (8 June) we are planning to upgrade the server. If everything goes to plan we will be up and running by Wednesday evening.

Anything you post after 1.00am on the 8th may not transition to the new server, so it is worth holding off, or keeping a local copy.

Thank you.

Advert
      Darren Hendley
      Keymaster
        @darrenhendley1
        Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

Hi Darren, as per PM, we cannot upload new images to our albums.

Colin

Darren Hendley
          Keymaster
            @darrenhendley1
            Posted by Colin Bishop on 08/06/2022 19:27:38:

Hi Darren, as per PM, we cannot upload new images to our albums.

Colin

Hi Colin, thanks for letting us know. It's a folder permission error – we'll get it fixed in the morning

Darren

Darren Hendley
            Keymaster
              @darrenhendley1

Morning! Image uploads should be working now.

Tim Cooper
              Participant
                @timcooper90034

Since the upgrade I get a security safety warning when trying to connect the website using my Android mobile phone. I have to override the safety warnings to connect to the site. Didn't have problem before.

Tim

Chris Fellows
                Participant
                  @chrisfellows72943

Same here using my Android tablet. Have to do it to enter the web-site and again when posting.

Chris

Colin Bishop
                    @colinbishop34627

This has been raised on the Model Engineering Forum too. Not everyone is experiencing it apparently. Might be due to anti virus software setting?

**LINK**

Colin

Chris Fellows
                    Participant
                      @chrisfellows72943

Was fine until the last day or so and I haven't changed anything. Message is saying the security authority isn't valid. Will take a look at my settings though.

Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 10/06/2022 14:02:08

Tim Cooper
                      Participant
                        @timcooper90034

Chris

Same as mine. Fine until yesterday. Notice that the the https from the website address is in red and crossed through.

Tried logging in using my old kindle earlier and no problems. 

Also to add a posting I have to go through the security  check / failure again.

Tim

Edited By Tim Cooper on 10/06/2022 14:52:06

Darren Hendley
                        Keymaster
                          @darrenhendley1

Hello. If you are experiencing an insecure message on your browser, it would be really helpful to know:

Device and generation (eg iPad Air 2, Kindle Fire HD 2015 etc)

Operaring system (iOS 15.5, Android 5.1.1)

Browser and version (Chrome 102, Safari 15.5)

Thank you!

Tim Cooper
                          Participant
                            @timcooper90034

Darren

I'm using a Huawei P9 model no. EVA-L19

Android 7.0

Chrome 102.0.5005.78

Tim

Chris Fellows
                            Participant
                              @chrisfellows72943

Mine's fine again now!

Chris

Chris Fellows
                              Participant
                                @chrisfellows72943

Spoke too soon!

Galaxy Tab S2.

Android 7.

Samsung internet.

Colin Bishop
                                  @colinbishop34627

I have just realised that the link in the feature articles to the associated photo albums has been lost following the transfer to Mortons. The albums appear to be there and can be relinked manually but there are 370 of them….

I have raised this with Darren.

Colin

Chris Fellows
                                  Participant
                                    @chrisfellows72943

The link/icon to the Digital Issues also needs updating or removing as it just throws up a 404 error.

I still can't access the forum without proceeding as if it's an unsafe site. This is the only forum of many that I visit where I'm getting this.

Chris

Chris Fellows
                                    Participant
                                      @chrisfellows72943

Colin

Is that the links to all the various articles via the Home Page. If so I appear to be able to see them Ok?

Chris

Colin Bishop
                                        @colinbishop34627

Chris,

There are two ways of illustrating articles. One is to embed the images separately which is what I do for forthcoming issues. It's a bit tedious. The second is to create an album of the images under my name and then link the album number to the article text which is a lot quicker. The small images can then be placed around the sides of the text as desired, I normally place them on the right hand side as in Charles Oates article on props where I have reinstated the link mamually. Clicking on the images then enlarges them.

Re the unsafe site error (which I don't get) I would assume that it is to do with how your antivirus etc. is seeing the site. I have Norton installed on my PC and have no issue. My Android phone and tablet don't either.

Not sure about the digital issues link, this may be down to Mortons changing the software. I will raise it with Darren next week.

Colin

Chris E
                                        Participant
                                          @chrise

They are updating the archive but there is a real problem.

The text is great. Pretty well however much ou enlarge the page the text retains its clarity. This makes reading the page very easy – much better han before.

BUT

The same isn't true for the pictures. They are very low quality and just get worse as you make the page large enough to read the text. They really are very poor. The pictures are way below the quality that they had before.

I am mentioning this before they have converted most issues to the new system in the hope that it cn be changed.

As it is I wouldn't value the archive very highly.

Colin Bishop
                                            @colinbishop34627

I have passed your comments on Chris.

Colin

Chris E
                                            Participant
                                              @chrise

Colin

Thank you. I had sent an email to Lindsey although I don't know what she can do about it as it is a group problem. I am also a subscriber to RCM&E and there is exactly the same problem there.

Edited By Chris E on 02/07/2022 14:52:49

Darren Hendley
                                              Keymaster
                                                @darrenhendley1
                                                Posted by Chris E on 02/07/2022 13:36:48:

They are updating the archive but there is a real problem.

The text is great. Pretty well however much ou enlarge the page the text retains its clarity. This makes reading the page very easy – much better han before.

BUT

The same isn't true for the pictures. They are very low quality and just get worse as you make the page large enough to read the text. They really are very poor. The pictures are way below the quality that they had before.

I am mentioning this before they have converted most issues to the new system in the hope that it cn be changed.

As it is I wouldn't value the archive very highly.

Hi Chris, this is fixed – it was a compression setting which has now been put right. We are just working out how to fix the issues already there.

Darren Hendley
                                                Keymaster
                                                  @darrenhendley1
                                                  Posted by Chris Fellows on 13/06/2022 21:18:41:

Spoke too soon!

Galaxy Tab S2.

Android 7.

Samsung internet.

This is the problem with the not secure messages:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2020/11/08/android-user-alert-how-to-stop-220-million-websites-from-breaking-in-2021/?sh=34daa04dc0a0

We are looking at it but rest assured the certificate is there and valid, it's just some versions of android are not recognising it

Darren Hendley
                                                  Keymaster
                                                    @darrenhendley1
                                                    Posted by Colin Bishop on 02/07/2022 09:02:18:

I have just realised that the link in the feature articles to the associated photo albums has been lost following the transfer to Mortons. The albums appear to be there and can be relinked manually but there are 370 of them….

I have raised this with Darren.

Colin

This should be fixed now Colin – could you check please?

Darren Hendley
                                                    Keymaster
                                                      @darrenhendley1

We are also working on the links at the top of the page that slipped through the net – should be done later today

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 87 total)