Sea Raven 2016

Advert

Sea Raven 2016

Home Forums Scratch build Sea Raven 2016

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    harry smith 1
    Participant
      @harrysmith1

top view.jpgstern deck.jpgstern 2.jpgstern 1.jpgside view.jpgside view.jpgframe b5.jpgframe b3 and b4.jpgframe b2 and b3.jpgcabin top view.jpgbow view.jpgbow underside.jpgbottom 2.jpgbottom 1.jpgHi All

This a mix of Swordsman, Sea Commander and Huntress with a bit of modern spray rails added into the mix.

I started with the Swordsman's frame B3 and added build in spray rails.

Lengthen the Swordsman's bow to a Huntress look and spaced out the frames to get the hull to about 37 and 1/2 inches.

Frames B4 and B5 redesigned to the same width as frame B4, to add a bit for the Huntress look.

Also frames B3,4, and 5 lowered the sides to the water line.

The spray rails are angled back down a few degrees to displace the water.

The stern is still rounded, but , I have an idea for it which is a little down the track!

The cabin is stretched and redesigned at the stern.

I like the Sea Commander's side windows, so a bit of a redesigned!!!

The front of the cabin is redesigned with a full curve and slope back!

The driveline has been lowered about 3 degrees.

Motor brushless 3648-1450 or XK3674-B-1900.

ESC 100A Hobbyking CAR with reverse.

Prop 3 blade 37mm x 1.4 pitch alloy or 2 blade 40mm x 1.4 pitch alloy.

Battery 3S(11.1 volts) or 4S(14.8 volts) 5800MAH 40C.

sea raven plan.jpg

Advert
      harry smith 1
      Participant
        @harrysmith1

Fast Ocean Going Cabin Cruiser

Paul T
        Participant
          @pault84577

Nice

The windscreen has the look of a Sea Rover.

harry smith 1
          Participant
            @harrysmith1

bow bottom.jpgstern deck.jpgbow deck.jpgHi Paul T

Speaking of the Sea Rover, I borrowed the plans from a mate at the club.

Rescan them at 25% bigger(35and1/4 by 11and 1/2).

Also redone the Sea Hornet at 25%(31 and 3/4 by 9 and 3/4).

I like by boats between 30 and 40 inches for the open water, also, I can work on them better!!!

Received our club video for the year(camera boat Fantome with GoPro on gimbal).

More work on the Sea Raven, all the deck is on and the long drive shaft arrived.

Mate and I got 8 metres(1 metre lengths) of 4mm marine stainless steel between us!!!side view 2.jpg

Paul T
            Participant
              @pault84577

Hi Harry

I do like the low cabin walls……very Lesro……..the boat should look very sleek on the water

Paul

harry smith 1
              Participant
                @harrysmith1

Hi Paul

Low but not slow!!

Started on the stern project for the Sea Raven, I hope it works like one of your projects!!!!

I have a few pics of 2 Sea Rover's from 1966, one IC and the other with electric with 2 wet cell batteries and the R/C was an OS PIXIE Radio.

Poor thing, so much battery weight for 10 minutes crawl time!!!!!!!!!!!

I love Lipo's and brushless motor!!!

Old speedway saying" GO FAST, OR GO HOME!!".

But they only turned left!!!

Paul T
                Participant
                  @pault84577

Hello Harry

With Lipo's and a brushless motor your Sea Raven should fly across the water.

Paul

harry smith 1
                  Participant
                    @harrysmith1

Hi All

Finally installed the motor and lined up the drive line.

Motor I installed is a XK3674-B-1900kv 1155watts (3S=21090rpm and 4S= 28120rpm).

If it is to powerful I can go down to a 3648-1450kv or a 3639-1100kv.

Used a straight direct coupler and a 45mm prop with 13mm clearance to hull.

Next glue in the drive line, I have glued in the drive line support which helped me line up the drive line.

After using the drive line setup in the Sea Hornet 2015, this was a real pain in the rear!!!!!

Harry

PS. Christmas Day it was 37 degrees C, dam hot(so a few cold tinnies(BEER))!!!

harry smith 1
                    Participant
                      @harrysmith1

Hi All

Finished all drive line support and filling around the drive tube.

Also added the oiler tube.

Fibre glassed around the motor mounts..

Harry

Paul T
                      Participant
                        @pault84577

Hello Harry

Have you the time to take some photos?

Paul

harry smith 1
                        Participant
                          @harrysmith1

p1010280.jpgp1010279.jpgp1010277.jpgHi PaulT

Added a Few pics as rquiredp1010276.jpg

Paul T
                          Participant
                            @pault84577

Hello Harry

Thanks for posting the photos.

How do you get on with the glues in the high air temperatures that you have over there?

I am curious about your plans for the transom cut out.

Paul

harry smith 1
                            Participant
                              @harrysmith1

Hi Paul

We use Tarzan grip or C23 balsa glue and araldite for drive line and rudder tube.

Filler I use Plastibond and for fine filler car spray filler.

I rubbed down the Sea Hornet deck because of cracking.

The spray can said respray after 1/2 hour, but, I ask the paint shop bloke and he said 24 hours!!!

That is what caused the cracking.

What hole in the stern, oh that one, all I will said a false stern goes over it at this point in time!!!!

A bit of BLINK !!!!!

I got a set of Hobbyking aircraft navigation lights with red, green, two flashing white, two white and two slow flashing red(I am not going to use these) and a control box which run of 6 volts or a spare plug on the receiver.

Nice long leads on the LED's.

Not much work on the boat, repainting front fence and gates, also have to paint another set of gates and patio rail to keep the boss( the seat cover maker) happy!!!

Harry

harry smith 1
                              Participant
                                @harrysmith1

windscreen template 2.jpgwindscreen template 1.jpgwindscreen front.jpgOH, NO, a few days of rain showers just enough for me to go back to model boats!!!!!!!!!

Added a few bit for the cabin windscreen and cockpit windscreen also made a template for the main windscreen.

Started on the cabin roof.

The windows are a bit of rubbish plastic I had, but, I will get some tinted plastic later for the windscreens etc.cabin view.jpg

Associated
                                Participant
                                  @associated

Some nice building there looks like going to be a nice one !

Got some plans going to start my 1st build soon . Got to sit down and think what wood needs to be ordered .

Matt

Edited By Matt B5m on 06/02/2016 11:58:32

harry smith 1
                                  Participant
                                    @harrysmith1

Thanks Matt B5m.

I made the cabin roof with two square magnets added into the underside to hold the front down.

Two square wood pins lock down the rear.

As for your plans the wood I use is 3mm plywood for frames and keel(three glued together with the centre cut out for the drive line in my case for the Sea Raven). I added two 10 mm square timbers either side of the keel, it's dam strong).

If building a small boat like my Sea Hornet 2015 I used one 3mm plywood and two 6mm square timbers.

To skin my boats I used 1.5mm marine plywood.

I found plywood stronger and easier to get a good finish on.

The Sea Hornet 2015 is about 4 and 1/2 pounds ready to run.

She is a little rocket!!!cabin roof.jpg

Paul T
                                    Participant
                                      @pault84577

Hi Harry

Very nice joinery around the roof hatch and the cabin window cut outs are very neat.

How is the weather down there? We are having alternate bouts of horizontal wind and rain.

Paul

harry smith 1
                                      Participant
                                        @harrysmith1

Hi Paul T

I hate to think of the time it took to get it right, but, that's modelling !!!!

Oh, the dam weather 20 to 25 every day, sunny, no rain!!!

Only three night of power boast on my solar water in the 80days!!!

Boating Saturday morning with the lads.

A new un finished boat on sea trails, a cat ferry from the original plans of the real one.

The boat is a bit over weight, to many frames and used 3mm plywood for the lot.

The batteries are Lipo 3s 5000mah with 710kv brushless motors( it would run for about 24 hours), so I think he is

looking at two 2650mah one's( weight saving about 300grams).

The real one's are built at Goodwood and shipped to Africa and Mexico.

Added a few pics in the Lauderdale Canal Boats post.

You fellows will have to make your holidays down south and miss the winter up north!!!

harry smith 1
                                        Participant
                                          @harrysmith1

Hi All

A warm 27 and sunny today with 28 for tomorrow!!

Used car spray filler on the cabin roof after sanding back the 1.5 mm plywood.

Sanded off the first coat and re applied a few more coats, re sanding cross ways and at 45 degree angle.

A finally spray in a few dips and a bit more sanding the top is as smooth as a baby's bottom.

Off tomorrow for project stern for the Sea Raven, maybe a week or so to see if it works.cabin roof filled.jpg

harry smith 1
                                          Participant
                                            @harrysmith1

sea raven name 2.jpgHi All

A few pics of the stern with and without lights!! Only one coat of marine mast vanish, 2 or 3 more coats and glue the false stern on.

sea raven name 1.jpg

Diede van Abs
                                            Participant
                                              @diedevanabs87670

Sea Raven is coming along very nicely, Harry.

Any plans on publishing the plans? I think they might go down well.

harry smith 1
                                              Participant
                                                @harrysmith1

Hi Diede van Abs

Thank you kind sir.

As for plans I did not make any and so for the built in spray rails you would require the patient of an angel to get all the curves and angles right.

The outer ones are not to bad, but the middle ones never again!!!

I hope the inbuilt spray rails dam work.

The Stern was another idea for laser cutout name with dark plastic behind it to look standard, but with 18 LED's behind to turn the name white in day light.

Planning the same for the cabin!!

I got 5 meters of LEDs from Flea Bay for $8 delivered!!!

I rolled out the 5 meter strip down the passage added the 3S Lipo battery and turned night into day!!!!

Two other projects have slowed this one down, but, one is finished(well it's going to get a make over one day with a bit of my stamp) and the weather is on the up.

harry smith 1
                                                Participant
                                                  @harrysmith1

Hi All

Started on the main windscreen today.

What a job, I finally heated the Perspex with a blow heater a number of times and with clamps and tape got the curved shape.

Have a bit more work at each end, but, it's looking OK.

Also started the front cabin window, but, redo this is dark Perspex to match the side ones.

ashley needham
                                                  Participant
                                                    @ashleyneedham69188

Harry. Yes those strips of LED`s are wonderful. I found them too late to put in my Titanic: they would have been ideal running down the lengths of the side promenade decks.

I was toying with the idea of retro-fitting some , but without surgery I would only have short lengths here and there and it would all look a bit naff. Bending perspex is something I have never had much luck with. Probably I simply need to practice​. I have to bend bits now and then and of course it takes me ages to get it right.

Surely any spray rails are better than none! I would think that they will work ok, different placement of the rails might give a different spray pattern but that's about it.

Ashley

harry smith 1
                                                    Participant
                                                      @harrysmith1

stern with dark perspex.jpgforward cabin test windsreen.jpgmain windscreen 3.jpgmain windscreen 2.jpgHI Ashley

As the Titanic has a hole in the bottom fit the lights via the hole!!!

A few pics from todays work.main windscreen 1.jpg

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)