Scimitar 34 Water-Jet Build by Chris Fellows

Advert

Scimitar 34 Water-Jet Build by Chris Fellows

Home Forums Build Blogs Scimitar 34 Water-Jet Build by Chris Fellows

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chris Fellows
    Participant
      @chrisfellows72943

And now as they say “Now for something completely different!” Well, for me anyway.

After the stern-drive I fancied building something with a water-jet and had been thinking about it on and off for a while, though mindful that I still have my Faireys to finish!

I’d had thoughts about designing my own boat but having produced drawings for the Lesro Stiletto/Rapier at a size midway between the two and liking the hull but thinking the superstructure was dated I decided to use that as the basis for some more modern versions. One of these was an open Sport which would fit the bill. I was going to use my usual lift-off superstructure but with no components in the cabin area this wasn’t necessary which would make things simpler and I could follow the Lesro build method to some extent.

I curved the cabin sides and introduced some curve in the hull sides as they approach the stern and of course had to modify the vee hull to accommodate the water-jet.

There is a Fairey connection in that inspiration came from the Solent Spear 34 which was the last of the Fairey designer Alan Burnard’s offshore power boat designs in 2004. This was a glassfibre boat and only 2 or 3 with closed cockpits and one with an open cockpit seem to have been built. They were fitted with traditional props.

As said, I still have my other builds to finish, but one of the reasons for starting another is that I spend an evening and day each week at my mother’s and if the weather is poor wanted something to do other than watch daytime TV! To this end I bought another scroll saw to leave there so I will at least be able to do the cutting out.

As usual this build will be sporadic, particularly at this time of year, but it will be quicker than the Faireys as I won’t be putting the detail into it and the painting will be simpler.

Drawings are a stage where I can start cutting some ply.

Chris

stiletto.jpg

solent spear.jpg

scimitar picture.jpg

img_6352.jpg

img_6353.jpg

water-jet sport -templates for posting.jpg

Edited By Chris Fellows on 15/06/2023 11:14:01

Advert
      Chris Fellows
      Participant
        @chrisfellows72943
        Richard Simpson
        Participant
          @richardsimpson88330

Beautiful shape. What sort of scale are you going for Chris?

Chris Fellows
          Participant
            @chrisfellows72943

Aimed for a size between the Stiletto which at 26" is a bit small and the Rapier at 39" which is a bit big for me. Turned out at 34" so it's about 1:12 if compared with the 34 foot Solent Spear.

Edited By Chris Fellows on 15/06/2023 22:55:55

Richard Simpson
            Participant
              @richardsimpson88330

Handy for doll's house figures and accessories as well!

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

Hi Chris,

Another motor boat very nice When are you starting the Fisherman ?? (with sails)

Back from an all inclusive week in Spain , I realised I needed a holiday away from Model Boats ! mission accomplishedsmile d New friends made !!

Regards Ray

Chris Fellows
                Participant
                  @chrisfellows72943

Glad you had a good holiday Ray. Recharged and ready to get back onto your builds!

Yeah, I've got the Fisherman and the Faun in the back of my mind! They will be mainly winter builds.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)