Schnellboot 1/24 Scratchbuild

Advert

Schnellboot 1/24 Scratchbuild

Home Forums Scratch build Schnellboot 1/24 Scratchbuild

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Stuart Brown
    Participant
      @stuartbrown83693

This boat had in real life three rudders, one main one and two smaller subsiduary ones either side. At higher speeds (above 28Knts) the two outer rudders were apparently turned outwards 30 degrees and then as speed picked up this angle was reduced to 17 degrees which all helped the boats top speed.

This posed me with a number of questions which I hopw someone might be able to answer?
      1. Below 28 kts did these two outer rudders just steer as normal in conjunction with the main central one?
      2. Above 28kts did they both remain splayed out in opposite directions at 17 degrees whilst the large main rudder did all the steering work?
      3. Does a scale model also dreive the supposed benefits in speed terms as the full scale model?
      4. How do you make all this happen by remote control!!!!!!!

Advert
      Guido Sambucetti
      Participant
        @guidosambucetti90794

This is what I recall from some forgotten book I read some time:

1. Yes, below that speed all three rudders steered the boat.
        2. Yes, above that speed the outer ones were fixed at those angles and the larger rudder was used for steering.
        3. Yes, sure, the problem (if you´re trying to replicate it in your model) would be the scale you would need. I´m not sure if even a 1:24 model would be large enough (that is because the water has the same properties but your boat´s power will be scaled down).
        4. Beats me…

I´d certainly like to read more replies to this thread!

Cheers.

Ian Kennedy
        Participant
          @iankennedy31889

Hi Suart , it is quite simple to make the outer trim/ rudders active while the boat is running. I have done so on my much smaller 1/40 th scale robbe s190 kit. The 1/1 scale water and the 1/40 scale boat seem to work very well. It should be a lot more effective on a 1/24th scale schnellboote. If you are running individual speed control on wing motors and central motor, then using a servo Y lead connected to your high speed central motor speed contoller and a standard servo , with a little bit of linkage know how connected to the smaller wing rudder/trim tabs will give the required effect. as the central motor speed increases so does the trim angle. the only slight draw back to this is that when you reverse this motor so the rudder/trims reverse. Hope this has been of some help, any more questions feel free to ask and i will try to explain more if needed

Stuart Brown
          Participant
            @stuartbrown83693

Thanks Ian
            Has clarified things a little! Still someway to go yet though to solve the whole problem. All comments hints or tips gratefully received.

Ian Kennedy
            Participant
              @iankennedy31889

Stuart , i have read elsewhere on the forum that you are looking for more info on the S-100 s and later classes. Try looking at german e-boats 1939-45 osprey publishing on new vanguard volume 59. isbn number 1-84176-445-0

Stuart Brown
              Participant
                @stuartbrown83693

‘Lurssen Effeckt’

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)