Sarik semi-scale plastic boat kit

Advert

Sarik semi-scale plastic boat kit

Home Forums Beginners Sarik semi-scale plastic boat kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Dave Reed
    Participant
      @davereed72029

Hi All,

As a beginner to the hobby, I decided to have a go at the Sarik Whaleback ASRL kit (TW29).

The hull is ready formed and it’s relatively cheap so if I mess it up, not much time or money lost. However, if there’s anyone out there who’s built one of the Sarik plastic kits and could give me some advice before I start cutting, it would be greatly appreciated.

To cut out the deck and hull, the instructions say “trim to line indicated”. On the hull, this line is quite clear but is about 3mm thick – should I cut to top, middle or bottom of the line? Obviously the safe way is to cut to top then dry fit to the deck and sand down as far as necessary.

That brings me to my second question – how to cut out the deck? The cut line is much finer but varies from about 4mm to 6mm from the deck surface (closer at bow and stern).

I seem to have 2 variables and no fixed point to work from, so I'm hoping someone has advice from a previous build. I'm fairly sure I can work through this but why reinvent the wheel and spend the next week sanding it down?

Many thanks.

Advert
      Dave Reed
      Participant
        @davereed72029
        David Marks 2
        Participant
          @davidmarks2

Having checked the Sarik website, a review of that model kit was featured in a magazine called Marine Modelling International in October 2015. If you go to the website of Magazine Exchange UK you will find a copy of the magazine for sale for £2:40 + P&P. The review will have been undertaken by a boat modeller and hopefully will give you some help with your build.

Regards – David Marks

Richard Simpson
          Participant
            @richardsimpson88330

Just a general thought, as I am not familiar with the specific model, I would cut the hull first, as you say to the top of the line then use the hull to mark out the deck for the best accurate fit rather than go by the guide line on the deck.

Dave Reed
            Participant
              @davereed72029

Hi David, Thanks for your suggestion but it was a different model reviewed (narrower beam, different deck and superstructure). I presume Sarik use it as a general review for the range of similarly constructed kits. My kit would have used different tooling so I'll hang on for any more info before I look into buying the review.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Dave Reed
              Participant
                @davereed72029

Hi Richard, barring any specific info from some who has constructed the model, that's my intention.

Cut the hull leaving maximum amount of material for trimming, then trim deck oversize so I can cut/fit/cut/fit… etc until correct.

Thanks

ashley needham
                Participant
                  @ashleyneedham69188

Correctamundo.

My experience of cutting vacforms is that it’s very easy for the knife to slip, as you will be using pressure and on certain runs the knife will slice through easily…. causing personal injury, or even worse, messing up the moulding!

Ashley

Chris E
                  Participant
                    @chrise

The kit was built in a Model Boats article September 2008 which will be in the archive if they ever get around to reinstating the issues that have not yet been reinstated after the magazine ownership change.

David Marks 2
                    Participant
                      @davidmarks2

There is currently a copy of MB for September 2008 for sale on eBay for £5.

Dave Reed
                      Participant
                        @davereed72029

Hi Guys, I was making it difficult by overthinking it. Pencilled in the "safe" line on the hull, cut with scissors, then razor plane – job almost done

Thanks for your help

Ray Wood 3
                        Participant
                          @raywood3

tw29 a.jpgHi Sinking,

By the way do you have a name ? just thought I'd ask !tw29 b.jpg

Mr Google is your best friend if you searching about for model stuff, This Vac formed hull is a standard hull available with a variety of different tops ie, Pilot boat & Police launch etc etc.

This is the magazine article from the web excuse the photos of my tablet

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 28/08/2022 17:23:44

Chris E
                          Participant
                            @chrise

The article can be found on the advert & is easily readable.

Click on the article thumb nail to make it the main view and then put your cursor over the image and right click and select "save image as" from the dropdown menu. You now have a very readable build article.

Article

Chris Fellows
                            Participant
                              @chrisfellows72943

There's a guy on Mahem pretty much doing the exact same thing! smiley

Dave Reed
                              Participant
                                @davereed72029

Hi, Thanks everyone for all your help.

The magazine article will also be a great help, but I don't expect mine to look that good when finished.

I originally presumed this range of kits was “one hull fits all” but I don’t think that’s the case now. The one in the magazine is described as 6” beam, the one I have is 7” beam (measured and confirmed 7&rdquo. Squeezing it down to 6” would cause quite severe distortion, so I'm thinking different tooling.

Confusingly, both kits are described as ASRL’s – to clarify, the one in the article is based on the Vosper design, the one I have is on the British Power Boat Company “Whaleback”.

While I’m here, I’d just like to throw another question out there: The kit I have has an open wheelhouse but photo’s I’ve found online have a roof (some with a hatch). Would the roof have been normal or a mod to provide better weather protection?

Thanks
                                Dave.

I

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)