sails for 1/24 Veronica

Advert

sails for 1/24 Veronica

Home Forums Sailing Models sails for 1/24 Veronica

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Doug Martin
    Participant
      @dougmartin81294

where can I get sails for a 1/24 scale Veronica spritsail boat

Advert
      Doug Martin
      Participant
        @dougmartin81294
        Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

Hi Doug,

Egyptian cotton is the best, Dylon cold water dye terracotta colour into the washing machine, dry and iron and the fun begins 😄 hem the edges on a sewing machine or by hand and maybe using Wonder web ? Then the really good fun starts as you sew the bolt rope round the edges for the rig fixings.

Or I think £450 for a commercial set 😯,

It's not that hard if I can do it !!veronica new main.jpg

Regards Ray

Eddie Lancaster
          Participant
            @eddielancaster

Dunelm sell a lightweight poly cotton sheet that is the correct colour for her sails, around £5-00 for a single flat sheet.

Regards.

Eddie.

ashley needham
            Participant
              @ashleyneedham69188

Hi Doug and welcome to the forum.

Did you mean….purchase ready made sails, or "dye pillowcases and sew them up"?

Actually, having just scrolled up to see the likely cost of buying some, the DIY method may be preferable….

Ray. We have tiles just like that in our kitchen!! (ours doesn't have boating bits near the though)

Ashley

Eddie Lancaster
              Participant
                @eddielancaster

I should have said single bed sheet. More than enough for a set of sails.

Eddie

Stephen Musgrave
                Participant
                  @stephenmusgrave56742

May I jump in, hoping this is not too far off topic, Veronica rigging. I am having trouble deciding how many and what size sheave blocks etc,

I’m finding the plan vague on this matter. I think someone asked a similar question last year but did not get a real answer. There is no “parts list” that I know of, perhaps someone who has already built the barge could give us some idea. Otherwise I’ll be ordering the things one at a time ad paying postage every time!

Eddie Lancaster
                  Participant
                    @eddielancaster

Hi. Stephen, it is tricky working out how far to go with working rigging on a TSB, if you look at my album Eddies TSB’s you may find one or two pictures there that may help, From memory, my boat is 150 miles from me at the moment, the six main mast shrouds are fixed by the dead eyes to the chain plates permanently the next one back is the top mast back stay and is tensioned with a a double and single block and is fixed by a hook to another chain plate, the next one back is the running back stay and is fixed in the same way,the forestay is fixed at the stem with a pair of blocks.

All of the sails, apart for the mainsail have a single block fixed to eyes at the top of the masts for the uphauls to run through and fastened off at various cleats on the tabernacle, or on the shrouds on the full size.

All of this can be simplified if you want to.

If Ray or anyone else reads this and feels I have got any of it wrong please feel free to make corrections.

Regards.

Eddie.

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hi Stephen,

Glad to hear your rigging a Veronica, I have been racing mine built by Peter Simmonds who in my book is the master, he was a shipwright, anyway if you need specific pictures let me know, unlike Eddie mine is on the landing 😄

Maybe worth a look in my album Ray's boats

The adjustable parts of the rig centre around being able to drop the topmast for getting it into the car, as you will know she is fairly big fully rigged, so the sail halyards need now she's to adjust able tension.

AMBO has a Facebook group maybe worth a look.v&a ambo finals sept 17 039.jpg

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 13/05/2020 17:56:54

Stephen Musgrave
                      Participant
                        @stephenmusgrave56742

Hi Eddie and Ray,

Many thanks to you both for helpful replies. Your pictures are great. I find I have already downloaded and printed two or three of Ray's photos from your album and then forgot where I had found them, so a useful reminder. And it would be great to see as many more nice detailed close-up photos that you are both able to take, but the landing boat obviously easier than Eddy's just now. I do find these photos are helpful as this is my first TSB build (well almost, apart from a rather nice little toy stumpy from a plan I found in a Readers Digest DIY book years ago).

I am still finishing off the deck fittings at present, just looking ahead to the next stage.

I would have made an effort to get to a racing venue to have a look at peoples' models (Maldon is just 4 miles from us so the real barges are easily accessible). But hopefully later in the year now.

Looking forward to more photos please.

Regards

Steve

Eddie Lancaster
                        Participant
                          @eddielancaster

Hi.Stephen, not sure if you have seen the album Reperter & Mirosa these two barges are at Faversham, Mirosa in particular is much the same as Veronica.

Good luck with your build.

Eddie.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)