Rubbing Stracke’ss

Advert

Rubbing Stracke’ss

Home Forums Scratch build Rubbing Stracke’ss

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Roger Simmonds
    Participant
      @rogersimmonds35858

What do other modelers use for the rubbing stracke’s on their fishing boat hulls, I need to get a 5/16 strip and just wondered what you use.

Advert
      Paul T
      Participant
        @pault84577

Hi roger

I use steamed hardwood such as mahogany or oak.

I machine the wood to the required profile and make it slightly longer than required then I put it in a home made steam chest that is powered by a wallpaper steamer, this heats the wood up enabling me to bend it without it splitting.

Its a very old fashoned process but it works very well.

If you want more technical details then please let me know.

All the best

Paul

Roger Simmonds
        Participant
          @rogersimmonds35858

Hi paul

I guessed that you said it right, it is an old method and of course the proper way that traditional boats and ships were built.  I was more or less thinking on any new ways that people have such as rubber (don’t think this would look right) or plastic or any other material that they use.

Paul T
          Participant
            @pault84577

Hi Roger

You could always use silicon rubber (bath sealent) if you squeeze out a length on a piece of glass then use a former / template cut to the right shape to make the silicone the right profile.

Let the silicone set then remove it from the glass with a sharp blade you will then have a perfect rubbing strake. It sounds a bit "Heath Robinson" but it does work very well. If you dont have a suitable piece of glass (I use the back door) you can use a piece of kitchen worktop

I sometimes use industrial door seals as rubbing strakes for example on my Trent Lifeboat (have a look on my gallery)

Paul

Manxman
            Participant
              @manxman

Hi Roger,

The way Paul mentions is ideal, I’ve used this method myself, plasterers also use this method to make coving.

A very good site for any kind of seal or strake is …. http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/

they make rubber extrusions of all shapes and show how to make a non standard profiles from standard ones.

Cheers – Ken

Paul T
              Participant
                @pault84577

Hi Ken

How is the latest matchdtick model getting on I have looked for progress photos but alas I have not seen any.

Thanks for the endorsement on the rubbing strakes the method sounds daft when you write it down but as you say it works a treat.

Have you had your day out with our teacher Vinnie yet?

All the very best

Paul

Manxman
                Participant
                  @manxman

Hi Paul,

Yeah – but SWMBO wasn’t too happy – I used a bedroom window ! – but I did clean it before and after use. – Silicone – best filler/adhesive around, I’ve used so much of this I swear if you were to pick the house up and drop it – it would bounce!

‘Pacific Light’ – has come to a stop for the time being, though I have finished the aerial bridge along with the small mast, fire monitors and railings that go on it, just no pictures as of yet – busy working on the house in preparation for selling (hopefully moving to warmer climates in Crete toward the end of 2oo8)

I have 2 weeks off over Christmas, and if SWMBO thinks I’m refitting the kitchen then, then somebody’s going to be disappointed ! – I’m locking myself in the shed (with a bottle of Teachers) for the duration ….

Cheers – Ken

Paul T
                  Participant
                    @pault84577

Crete sounds fantastic but will you have to change your tipple to uzzo??

Sam Vimes
                    Participant
                      @samvimes38365

Roger

Paul showed me how to steam timbers when he was working over here, it is a very simple process (but very hot) and the results are really very good.

Sam

Roger Simmonds
                      Participant
                        @rogersimmonds35858

I will have to try this silicone method it sounds as if it has a lot of uses. thanks for replies chaps.

Roger Simmonds
                        Participant
                          @rogersimmonds35858
                        Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)