RMS St Helena

Advert

RMS St Helena

Home Forums Full Size Ships RMS St Helena

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bob Wilson
    Participant
      @bobwilson59101

Here is a magnificent time-lapse video of my last ship, RMS St Helena, on UTube – I left her thirty years ago this month. Because the film is speeded up greatly, it resembles a model ship (Or model boat as some of you would describe it), floating on a pond.

132 passengers and general cargo, running from the UK to Cape Town via the Canaries, Ascension and St Helena.

She was the last long-haul passenger liner (Running on a fixed route and time schedule, rather than cruising all over the place. Withdrawn from service several years ago, but still operating. At present at Meijillones, West Coast of South America.

https://youtu.be/4Z0sohkHcHQ

Advert
      Bob Wilson
      Participant
        @bobwilson59101
        Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

Great video Bob. Thanks for sharing.

Colin

Stephen Garrad
          Participant
            @stephengarrad28964

I have fond memories of St Helena, We called there for a couple of days in 1970? on an RFA on the way to Cape Town. Ascension was a horrible grey lump, St Helena was a beautiful green lush island. I seem to recall climbing an enormous number of steps up to somewhere but don't remember where and we played the islanders at cricket.

Stephen

Bob Wilson
            Participant
              @bobwilson59101

governors residence plantation house st helena (medium).jpgMy association with the island of St Helena extended from 1973 to 1992, when serving in the three ships that called regularly: RMMV Good Hope Castle – RMS St Helena (I) – RMS St Helena (II).

A grim, forbidding looking place from the outside, but as beautiful as the British countryside within. The steps extended from the sea front to the top of ladder hill – 600 in total – See photograph.

The British governor lived in the beautiful mansion of Plantation House – See photograph. And the late Emperor Napoleon lived in luxury atLongwood House – See photograph.

The people spoke English and were very peaceful. You could go anywhere without fear of being attacked or mugged. When we got married in 1987, the Bishop of St Helena kindly gave us a wedding blessing at St Paul's Cathedral, St Helena, this was followed by a reception in the ship's main lounge, attended by the governor, and his wife, the bishop and his wife, the ship;s passengers and officers. followed by lunch in the ship;s main saloon. Before we sailed, my wife an I were invited to dine at Plantation House one evening. It was all a wonderful experience. We still remain in contact with many of the islanders and ship's company, although I left thirty years ago –

ladder hill st helena (medium).jpg

sth best longwood.jpg

Edited By Bob Wilson on 09/10/2022 08:41:48

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)