RMS Queen Mary update

Advert

RMS Queen Mary update

Home Forums Full Size Ships RMS Queen Mary update

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Colin Bishop
      @colinbishop34627

After many years of increasing neglect, RMS Queen Mary is undergoing renovation at last. Many areas of the ship remain as she was built whilst others have been repurposed to support her role as a hotel and tourist attraction. Notably the steel lifeboats have mostly been removed as they were rotten and their weight was distorting the adjoining superstructure.

This video gives an interesting progress update and it is interesting to compare her preserved interiors with those of today’s cruise ships. The ship looks in better condition than when we visited in 2001 just before 9/11 and more of it is now open to the public. However the bridge was open then and it isn’t at the moment.

Colin

Advert
      Richard Simpson
      Participant
        @richardsimpson88330

I visited her after my second trip to sea in 1978 when I paid off in Long Beach.  One thing I remember in particular was walking into the box outside the hull which allowed you to look down at a propeller.  I see it is still there.  The biggest dissapointment was how much machinery had been remeoved but not surprising really.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)