Restoration of a veron deep sea trawler (circia 1960’s I believe)

Advert

Restoration of a veron deep sea trawler (circia 1960’s I believe)

Home Forums Collectors’ corner Restoration of a veron deep sea trawler (circia 1960’s I believe)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Mike Gott
    Participant
      @mikegott20826
      That ‘s looking great, you’ll be able to go fishing soon.  My wife is a cook and the disposable blue nylon hair nets they give her look a lot like scale fishing nets. I had thought about it…..however, I’m currently dithering about “where do I stop” – do I make some otter boards (trawl doors) to sit between the gallows and the side, and various bits like the Dan Lenos, bobbins and floats? I’m not sure how far to take the fine detail, particularly after last Sunday at Southport when somebody with an off-the-shelf power boat nearly drowned it! Next definite move is to make an anchor winch though.

Mike
      Advert
      Phil Winks 1
      Participant
        @philwinks1
        You’ve a very good point there Mike. Just where do you stop with the detailing. fish nets are one I believe I will do anchors possibly another, Anchor/foredeck winch is a definate, so definate in fact I’ve retro fitted what is possibly a slightly to modern electric winch. (scratch built from styrene sheet and birthday cake candle holders)  What do you think?

As for “otter boards” what sort of size would they be at full size? also roughly what would the full size net mesh be?

Phil
        Phil Winks 1
        Participant
          @philwinks1
          Manymany thanks to Bob for the drums for the trawl winch a superbly accurate piece of turning mate. they slotted straight aftera little distressed paintwork.

I’m chuffed with the end result  both the overall effect and inparticular the appearance of a little rust on the framework achieved by painting with red oxide 1st then dry brushing gloss black over avoiding the corners.

Phil

Mike Gott
          Participant
            @mikegott20826
            That looks superb. A great job on the winches. You’ll have to put some port of regsitry numbers on it, though! The otter boards question is a good one, I would have expected them to be a pretty standard size, but I don’t know what that is. Best I can do is go back again to the photos, with one – in it’s usual stowed position – on view.

…..it looks somethin between 5.5′ to 6′ deep and about 10′ long, but that’s a guess. Note on the second photo you can see the warp to the rear gallows going round a bollard on its way from the starboard drum (extreme right). Not sure about the net mesh size – always a contentious point!

Mike

PS – just realised – there’s a net behind the chap (a former deckie) who was taking me round.

Edited By Mike Gott on 12/08/2010 18:12:17

Phil Winks 1
            Participant
              @philwinks1
              Thanks for that Mike really usefull photo’s. looking at that net it’ll be near enough impossible to find a mesh small enough given this model is (by my reckoning) 1/72nd or there abouts.

Phil
              B B
              Participant
                @bb42502
                Hallo Phil this was the very first kit I built when I started model ships. This kit stems way back to the 1960’s and was still on the market in 1980 when I had purchased mine. I am looking for some pictures of my ship.
                Brings back good memories.
                Phil Winks 1
                Participant
                  @philwinks1
                  Good day Bernhard glad you like the model. I was reminded by an old Friend the other day that in fact in the late 60’s we used to drool over this and other Veron kits in the local model shop that were well beyond our meagre pocket money resouces. in those days only the smaller aerokits boats without RC were within our financial reach. still we had lots of old gravel pit lakes to sail them in one of us either side turning them round untill the btys ran flat then swimming out to retrieve them.

Phil
                  B B
                  Participant
                    @bb42502

Seeing the photos of this ship brings back good memories and I have found some pictures of my first model ship I built. It is the very same Veron trawler kit. She sailed very well but sadly to say this model of mine does not exist any more. I will try to upload the few pictures I have. I have not been successful im my endevours to up load pictures to create an album of the various ships.

Phil Winks 1
                    Participant
                      @philwinks1
                      Pleased to hear my model has resurected good memories for you Bernhard. if you send a pm to Colin  Bishop I’m sure he will point you in the right direction for the instructions for creating a photo  album on this forum and how  to post pictures.

Phil
                    Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)