Restoration of a veron deep sea trawler (circia 1960’s I believe)

Advert

Restoration of a veron deep sea trawler (circia 1960’s I believe)

Home Forums Collectors’ corner Restoration of a veron deep sea trawler (circia 1960’s I believe)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Phil Winks 1
    Participant
      @philwinks1
      Hi everybody I know I’ve been quiet of late mainly due to serious poor health! still the experts at hospital have worked their magic and I’m fighting fit again. the last few materials that I need for this one have finally been ordered so its a case of watch this space for the impending progress.

Phil
      Advert
      Bob Abell 2
      Participant
        @bobabell2
        Welcome back, Phil

I did suspect you weren`t too well……..We hope you`re on the mend now, my M8

The Fat Controller made a brief visit last week…….With a quick flurry of postings

I`m still resting in the wings at the moment

Bob
        Phil Winks 1
        Participant
          @philwinks1
          Well on the mend thanks Bob! How is Paul these days?

Despite being laid up I’ve been making plans and when this ones done I’ve got another steamer ready to be started then just for fun I think I’m going to have a stab at the Glynn Guest USS Ripley (from the june issue of MB)

Phil
          Phil Winks 1
          Participant
            @philwinks1
            A couple of WIP pics. Ive just about sorted the masts c/w ratlines and working lights inc the fishing lights wich will eventually be a 360degree green over a 360 white and the standard steaming mas thead light about 2/3rds up the mast

and the 1st of  the trawl gallows has been made hopefully this looks about right.

and a general view. the 3/32nd ply for the main deck repair arrives this week

Phil

Mike Gott
            Participant
              @mikegott20826
              Phil – as per post in my own Veron Trawler thread – don’t make the davits!  – I’ve got some original not-even-cut-out ones you can have.

Mike

Phil Winks 1
              Participant
                @philwinks1
                Hi Mike I must’ve missed that post mate although there are a couple of reply notifications I’ve yet to look at. shame really as you can see from the pics I’ve done all 4 however if the originals look better then I’ll take you up on that offer! PM tofollow shortly.

As you can see she’s waiting for her main deck and bulwarks painting then a couple of winches and those lifeboats need fitting.

Most of the running gear is sorted and 1 point I must make is the sheer quality of these MMB motor mounts justlook at the close up

Truly a superb bit of kit and nicely priced as well.

Phil

Edited By Phil Winks 1 on 24/07/2010 20:21:42

Phil Winks 1
                Participant
                  @philwinks1
                  Actually Mike tried to PM you but your profile is private so can’t find a way to “Private Message” you about the offer of the davits

Phil
                  Mike Gott
                  Participant
                    @mikegott20826
                    PM sent, have hopefully activated profile now so contact should be easier. I might even manage an avatar next……

Mike
                    Phil Winks 1
                    Participant
                      @philwinks1
                      Thanks for that Mike Email sent.

The paintwork has progressed well today as it’s been a glorious paint drying day all thats left to do is a little touching up of the main deck.

I still have to source/make the winches, fit the davits which Mike is kindly letting me have some original items then obviously fit the life boats, also the portholes at the rear need glazing and as far as the hardware is concerned all thats left to fit are a couple of switch units for all the lights. I reckon that after a breif sojorn in the domestic test tank (bath) she can get out on the water for the 1st time in prob 30yrs. Hopefully I’ll get a video of that later this week.

Right now the pics

Thats about it for now
                      Phil
                      Phil Winks 1
                      Participant
                        @philwinks1
                        Well she’s had her bum wet at last and the results are very pleasing just look at the video

Phil
                        Mike Gott
                        Participant
                          @mikegott20826
                          It lives! Well done Phil.

For when you build it – here’s a couple of pictures of the trawl winches on 1, Ross Tiger (the real thing) and 2, –  My Veron trawler, a scratch built affair based around two cut down film spools and plastic strip.

PS have sent message r.e. email

Mike

Bob Abell 2
                          Participant
                            @bobabell2
                            Well done, Phil

She sails very nicely and so quietly too?

You`ve got the balance just right……..How much ballast was needed?

Bob
                            Phil Winks 1
                            Participant
                              @philwinks1
                              Thanks for that Mike those photo’s are really just what I need.

Hi Bob me auld mate it took 26ozs of lead and a 12cell (2x6cells in parralel) nicd bty pack to achieve that nice balance and depth in the water.  Lots of wood in the bottom of the hull in this one!

The lack of noise is down to good motor/propshaft alignment and most importantly an MMB rubber coupling. absolutley so much better than those plastic huco couplings I used to use and cheaper too!!
                              Phil Winks 1
                              Participant
                                @philwinks1
                                A special thanks to Mike Gott for supplying the parts for the replacement davits. They are the original items from an identical kit he’s recently built (it had resided on top of his wardrobe since 1967). This is said items with their 1st coat of paint dry fitted on the boat deck.

Full size picture is app 3 time actual size

the life boats should be ready early next week and then I need to concentrate on the winches

Phil
                                Phil Winks 1
                                Participant
                                  @philwinks1
                                  The replacement life boats arrived all nicely moulded in polyester resin by MMB from a master I made from the one remaining boat.

Once again thanks to Mike Gott for the davits. Original items from his kit.

I’ve started on the construction drawings for the winch and need to talk one of my freinds with a lathe into turning the drums out for me

Also need to find some 6 or 8mm tall black letraset or vinyl lettering for the name.

Phil
                                  Bob Abell 2
                                  Participant
                                    @bobabell2
                                    Hello Phil

You`ve a nice job of the latest quickie!

Post the drum sizes on the forum or PM and I`ll get crackin`!

Bob
                                    Phil Winks 1
                                    Participant
                                      @philwinks1
                                      Your a very good man Bob !!

I need to finalise the details yet and when I have I’ll email the sizes to you Mate. (prob be wed/thurs)

Thanks for the kind comments, although quickie isn’t a word I’d use she’s still got a bit to be done what with the winch, (a project in its own right) and finding some nets and other deck clutter.

Then there’s the small matter of switching all those bulbs (24 in total) on and off in groups.

However one Job I did sort this afternoon, after much rumaging in the shed, I found the right letraset and named her. “Tammara B” after the daughter of an old freind.

Phil
                                      Mike Gott
                                      Participant
                                        @mikegott20826
                                        Looking good, Phil. I’ll put some more winch photos in my album.  On my own trawler, the winch is 110mm wide and the drums 22mm wide, 25mm diameter if that’s any help. The smally pulleys on the end (“gypsies”) are about 1cm – but there’s plenty of scope for variation.

Incidentally, some trawlers had a rectangular black panel painted on the white part of the stern with the name and port of registry on it in white, so there’s another option open there.

Mike
                                        Mike Gott
                                        Participant
                                          @mikegott20826
                                          Found this in my Ross Tiger photos whilst uploading the previously promised winch shots. How about replicating this bit of bridge detail -the shiny thing in the bottom left hand corner is actually the wheel.

Mike

Phil Winks 1
                                          Participant
                                            @philwinks1
                                            Now there’s a clever idea nowt worse n spillin ya tea  and the baccy tin dates it a little bet their not allowed to smoke on the bridge these days
                                            Bob Abell 2
                                            Participant
                                              @bobabell2
                                              Phil

I`m still waiting for your instructions………..zzzzzzzzz……….yawn………zzzzzzz…….????????

Winch drum facility
                                              Phil Winks 1
                                              Participant
                                                @philwinks1
                                                I’ve got an hour spare later Bob I’ll get it sorted then! Patience please

Phil
                                                Phil Winks 1
                                                Participant
                                                  @philwinks1
                                                  Here we go the plans for the winch complete and emailed to Bob for him to turn the drums for me. while I set to and made the frame.

the shaft end plates and end drums (gypsies) are loose fitted waiting for the drums to be fitted

How’s that for “Looks About Right” a coat of red primer and some colour on her + the drums and I reckon its a “proper job”

Phil
                                                  Bob Abell 2
                                                  Participant
                                                    @bobabell2
                                                    Hello Phil

Drums completed

Will post them tomorrow

Bob

While you are waiting….how about some nice silver fish for the trays?
                                                    I use…PlayDo…..for my catches
                                                    Phil Winks 1
                                                    Participant
                                                      @philwinks1
                                                      Your a very good man Bob thankyou very much. 

I shall have to investigate this fish from playdo further. It’s not something I’ve tried before. have you got a photo’s perhaps? 

I am definately looking for a couple of suitable nets to lay in the scuppers as they would be in port.

Phil
                                                    Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 59 total)