Restoration of a veron deep sea trawler (circia 1960’s I believe)

Advert

Restoration of a veron deep sea trawler (circia 1960’s I believe)

Home Forums Collectors’ corner Restoration of a veron deep sea trawler (circia 1960’s I believe)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Phil Winks 1
    Participant
      @philwinks1
      I recently made a rash desicion and purchased a total wreck of a hull in the belief that with a lot of patience and some skill I could restore it.

When the said hull arrived I have to admit I thought at 1st “this one may be past help philip” so she was placed out of harms way for future attention.

then I thought what the hell give her a chance so here goes. The following pics are what I’d seen of her before purchasing for a really poultry £12

Not so bad I hear you say

then again may be not

then again the basics seem to be intact so lets have a go

When she arrived I realised that the problems where not explained in the pics. mainly the ply keel de-laminating was the bigest problem. however this problem was solved with a self mixing syringe of epoxy that could be squeezed into the gap and then copius clamps to hold her true and problem solved. A little 5 min epoxy has cured the rear shelter walls dislike of the hull and so with these issues solved I can now set about stripping paint and checking the rest of the hull.

Phil
      Advert
      Phil Winks 1
      Participant
        @philwinks1

this one will require a big glue bottle and lots of patience.

Phil Winks 1
        Participant
          @philwinks1
          a few pics of progress
          the ply keel repaired and stronger than ever

stern tube removed pending replacement

the hull interior needs a little cosmetic work

the gunwales and shelterdeck walls all secure

And she’s ready for the paint removing

Phil

Edited By Phil Winks 1 on 07/05/2010 20:29:15

Bob Abell 2
          Participant
            @bobabell2
            You`re doing well there. Phil

I have to admire your enthusiasm!

Bob
            Phil Winks 1
            Participant
              @philwinks1
              Thanks Bob I’m sure it’ll be a long ish process.

Having read Pauls thread on restoring such models I was thinking of using paint stripper to fetch her back to bare wood as he recomends.

However that may cause problems with this hull as its all balsa and I’m concerned about the absorbtion of A: the stripper, and B: the water used to wash it of, by the balsa and any issues that may arise because of this.

So I’m simply rubbing her down thoroughly with sandpaper. already, I can see that this was never done properly as the hull sections where produced on a spindle moulder, and  the machine marks are quickly visible as soon as I started to rub her down.

Weathers awfull today and given that these may well be lead based paints I’m doing the rubbing down outdoors with a dust mask, so as soon as I can I’ll get some more pics to show what I mean about the machine marks.

Phil
              Bob Abell 2
              Participant
                @bobabell2
                That`s a very good point!……..Lead based paint!………..Toxic……..Good thinking there, my son!

Also, I find lately, that balsa dust is really bad too!…….I always wear a mask these days

Be careful out there!

Bob
                Phil Winks 1
                Participant
                  @philwinks1
                  I always try to take balsa out of the shed to rub down not just because the dust annoys my sinuses but also I’ve got fed up of having to dust my other models of before sailing them lol

Phil
                  Phil Winks 1
                  Participant
                    @philwinks1
                    Here you go Bob as you can see from this pic the machining marks are so obvious telling me that she’s never seen serious sandpaper useage

Phil

Bob Abell 2
                    Participant
                      @bobabell2
                      Don`t suppose it matters, underneath really?

Bob
                      Phil Winks 1
                      Participant
                        @philwinks1
                        Prob doesn’t Bob but it does give an idea of the amount of effort put into the rest of the build I’d hazzard a guess it was built much as intended ie: quickly hence the water ingress into that keel. it’s not got anywhere else so prob happened while sailing due to an  inadequate paint finish/ quality. Having said that it is some 40/50 yrs old (we believe)

so provided the job I do is up to scratch then it should out last me.

Phil
                        Phil Winks 1
                        Participant
                          @philwinks1
                          I’ve progressed a little on this one. the 1st coat of primer is on the hull outer. I think I’ll be following this with some high build filler primer, as despite best efforts the wood grain is still showing through, and there’s plenty of grain filler already on her. the bridge is starting to clean up ok too, in fact it’s nearly ready for the rebuild and lights etc fitting.

Next major job is to get some 1/32nd and 1/16th ply and rebuild the main deck and bulwarks around the bow

Phil

Bob Abell 2
                          Participant
                            @bobabell2
                            Blimey, Phil!……You`ve been quiet of late?

You seem to be having fun with your latest aquasition!….( typo,I know, but can`t think of the correct spelling at the mo!……..another senior moment! )

Nice to read your posts again………………..Bob
                            Phil Winks 1
                            Participant
                              @philwinks1
                              Holidays up and coming bob and the garden’s keeping me busy. also numerous hospital visits while they try to sort my blood out. (unexplained low platelets) also still waiting for the motor/esc for the slo mo. 1st they said del delays due to air travel disruption and now today I’m told it’s a back order item. So sent an email asking for a refund and I’ll find one else where.

Acquisition is I believe the spelling you wanted. oh the power of a spell checker

The restoration of this one is quite a challenge esp trying to find more pictures of  the original model. so joy of joys when our oldest club member told me he has one he built himself and he’s bringing it to next months club night. a good chance for me to photograph it.

another little project I have in progress is an own design semi kit of a typical norwegian steamer. (The Vikingen renamed in 57 Voringen and later Tyssedal) circa 1900-1959 hopefully it’ll be available via a friends internet shop later this year.

Also a 750mm powerboat hull is currently in the design stage hopefully utilising one of the cheaper brushless motor/esc combo’s now available in this country. This  will prob not be available till early next year. Depending on finding someone to produce quality fibreglass hulls from my very awkward design.

Just look at that awkward rear end

The Blue lines along the bottom are the design program’s estimation of the way water will flow under her. The smoother the better! her design state resisitance is very close to 0. and thats good.

Phil
                              Bob Abell 2
                              Participant
                                @bobabell2
                                Same here Phil!

Our garden`s looking lovely and I`m enjoying my free time at the moment, having just bought a bike for exercise!

You`ve got a few models on the go now!……………..Phew!

The speedboat looks a nice shape!……….Pity about the motor problem……You were taking a risk sending cash to China!

All the best with your health problem mate!

Bob
                                Phil Winks 1
                                Participant
                                  @philwinks1
                                  Thanks for that Bob!

A Bike for exercise eh? I can recomend that as I use one myself quite a bit especially along the taunton to bridgewater canal. our 2yr old Jack russel enjoys that one too!

I always use PayPal for my purchases from HK that way I’m assured security in the event of non delivery or any other dispute. If all else fails an email to paypal sorts the problem.

I’m hoping that the flare out at the stern of the speed boat will make it plane much easier! and flatter, (ie: without lifting the bow too high) certainly it’s tidied the computer simulation of the water flow up a lot, removing the massive pressure concentration under the midships section.

I got the railings fitted to the bridge roof on the trawler today and with a coat of white primer applied it’s showing promise. some more time available to work on her tomorrow so hopefully some good wip’s after that

Here’s hoping the weather holds for Sunday as we’ve a sailing day on our club water

Phil
                                  Phil Winks 1
                                  Participant
                                    @philwinks1
                                    the preperaton of the bridge and boat deck for primer took for ever! Or so it seemed!

however with new railings and a coat of primer they’re starting to look a lot better

now I really need the new ply to make the boat davits and a copy of the boat deck outline to go under this for support to the top edges of the shelterdeck walls, a very vunerable point when the boat deck is off to access the radio and tiller servo.

Phil
                                    Phil Winks 1
                                    Participant
                                      @philwinks1
                                      A little more progress during one or too quiet moments prior to our trip to N/Wales next week.

The bridge is finished and wired for lighting, (more lights than last years Xmas tree)

The forcastle has its prow bulwarks and most of its hand rails.

The masts have been fitted along with provision for a full working set of mast head and trawl lights. (I do like to light up a boat.)

The boat deck still needs its boats when they return from wales all nicely cast in prolypropelene resin courtosey of MMB

Next job, After our hols now, is to paint the decks and insides prior to finding and fitting a suitable motor and the rudder.

I just love this view of her looking really purposefull

Phil (Already packing for his hol next week &nbsp
                                      Bob Abell 2
                                      Participant
                                        @bobabell2
                                        Hello Phil

Nice to see your WIP pictures…….I wish I had your enthusiasm!…… (another typo)
                                        You are making a nice job of your Sows Ear!………Nearly a Silk Purse!…lol

Where are you going next week in Wales?……Just being nosey!
                                        Have a nice time

Bob

PS…….Pity you didn`t see the drain pipe in your viewfinder!

Edited By Bob Abell on 05/06/2010 15:52:22

Len Ochiltree
                                        Participant
                                          @lenochiltree67043
                                          Could be a Funnel Bob.

Len.
                                          Bob Abell 2
                                          Participant
                                            @bobabell2
                                            Well put, Len!

I`ll bet, Phil hasn`t noticed the extra large funnel?

Bob
                                            Phil Winks 1
                                            Participant
                                              @philwinks1
                                              Hi Bob your quite right should’ve observed the pipe, never mind. We’re of to Hafan-y-mor on thurs next week. (Haven holiday park) if your going to be at Llanberis any time between Sat 12th and Sat 19th let me know and I’ll see if we can get away for the day to pop over. Lots of family with us and son-in-law’s organising a fishing trip for me and him so not sure what days, if any, are free so no promises, so don’t make a special trip,only if your going anyway!

It’d be well out of scale Len

Phil
                                              Phil Winks 1
                                              Participant
                                                @philwinks1
                                                Last bit of progress before the hols. having looked at several models of this type of sidewinder trawler most seem to have rat lines and or ladders up the masts, ladders are out of the question without a major reconstruction ofthe masts but ratlies seemed poss  so I had a go.

And I reckon that by the time there’s some matt black paint on them they’ll look ok

Phil

PS: exscuse the untidy bench it’s normally not that bad.
                                                Bob Abell 2
                                                Participant
                                                  @bobabell2
                                                  Hey, Phil

A member up top needs some crane info……..You`re the Man!

Have a nice holiday, my M8

Bob
                                                  Phil Winks 1
                                                  Participant
                                                    @philwinks1
                                                    Cheers Bob

I may be being a tad slow here what member? and up top where?

Phil
                                                    Phil Winks 1
                                                    Participant
                                                      @philwinks1
                                                      Never mind the questions in my last post Bob I think I’ve found the post refered to and posted a reply

Regards Phil
                                                    Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)