Recent ME Exhibition

Advert

Recent ME Exhibition

Home Forums All things floating Recent ME Exhibition

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ken Gould
    Participant
      @kengould67580

I had asked the editor to include this letter in "All Points" for reasons best known to himself he decided it was not appropriate. I would still like to read what other modellers think about the show. So let me know, warts and all. 

Dear Sir, I recently attended the Model Engineering Exhibition at its new home, Ascot Racecourse’s new atrium styled grandstand. The venue building is quite stunning, clean bright and well supplied with food and drink outlets. The exhibition was set out on three levels with thousands of exhibits on display. The ground floor was awash with trade stands. Between sessions manning our Luton boat club stand, I had a good look round. I and many others could not help but notice just how firmly the M.E. has reverted back to its core activity, the design and production of small mechanical engines in their many and varied forms. Several very well known collections were on display as were the S.M.E.E. All this bodes well for the future of model metal engineering. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for model boating at the M.E. Only three boat clubs attended, and not one marine trader thought it worthwhile taking trade space. Competition boats were not as well presented as in previous years. Even the judges I spoke to; said they were having a difficult time doing their job. Compared to the last three or so M.E. exhibitions, the boating contingent have become ever more isolated and Cinderella like. When speaking to many a marine modeller stopping at the Luton stand, they asked, where are the marine traders and the advertised boat pool and all the other boat clubs? A very good question and one the organizers should address and quickly. As clearly the marine modeller is loosing faith with this one. The marine medal competition is also looking isolated and loosing credibility with falling numbers of exhibits and so few new people entering. Should the M.E. organizers consider this state of affairs acceptable, with little or no further action required? Then it is time to consider the alternatives.  So before excommunicating me for heresy, take a moment to consider this. When part of an annual exhibition and competition is judged to be failing its competitors and supporters, it is not uncommon for those concerned to press for a change of sponsor and venue if matters are not put right. Modellers of such skill and eminence should be choosing a venue where a greater number of marine modellers congregate. They may not know about the rarefied air you model in, and it would be a perfect showcase for us to see, enjoy, aspire to your level, plus encourage us to take part in competition. When entering a competition you are actively seeking conformation of your worth. What better place to achieve that position and ranking among your fellows, than at a vibrant International Model Show which enjoys an excellent marine following.  There are two established and expanding annual exhibitions available, Alexandra Place International Model Exhibition and Warwick International Model Boat Exhibition. There are of course issues of organization, judging, medals and trophies. Plus the all important support from those concerned. If competitors feel their endeavours will be judged by well established judges, that system of recognition of excellence is maintained. With no copyright on the use of medals, the Gold, Silver and Bronze awards remain valid. Clearly a move of this magnitude will have to be initially driven by the competitors, judges and other like minded influential people. For I genuinely believe, a move now would benefit and enhance the future of competitive marine modelling excellence.  Ken Gould.

Advert
      Ken Gould
      Participant
        @kengould67580

One members reaction

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)