R2 Whalecatcher

Advert

R2 Whalecatcher

Home Forums Collectors’ corner R2 Whalecatcher

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    trevor hughes
    Participant
      @trevorhughes84733

I have an original of the plan out of the December 1963 Model Maker by R.A. Sweet tjhat I started to build in my teens. Unfortunately the page with the build description on has a large chunk missing out of it from the second column top paragraph. can anyone help me with a copy of the page (592)?

I am thinking of making a scaled up R/C model but would like to know how the original was built.

Advert
      trevor hughes
      Participant
        @trevorhughes84733

Help with plan/article

Tony Hadley
        Participant
          @tonyhadley

Here is the article Trevor.
          (To enlarge click on the photo, when it opens click again.)

Wishing you every success with the build.

december 1963 (2).jpg

december 1963.jpg

trevor hughes
          Participant
            @trevorhughes84733

Many thanks Tony, now to decide on materials and methods.Thinking plank on frame out of H.I.P.S. maybe outer layer of diagonalplanks. Will build a test section if it doen't work to well or to be to expensive. will revert to balsa with thin ply outer diagonal planks.

Dim distant memory of gum paper strips not working out to well which was why I din't finish the original.

Charles Oates
            Participant
              @charlesoates31738

Hi Trevor, Tony has beaten me too it with the article, I've still got mine because it was the second model I built when I was 12 years old. mine didn't win any prizes but I was very inexperienced and I didn't take to gum strip finishes either.

Two points that might interest you, the hull is small and best built light so you can get some ballast right in the bottom, otherwise it will be very tender. If bulding it again would plank with .8 mm ply and if I do I would enlarge it to 36 or even 48 inches, it will be more seaworthy.

Years ago I was told that when it finished as a whale catcher, it was converted in to a fire fighting vessel, with 3 monitors. One each side of the bridge and one replacing the harpoon. I've looked long and hard on the internet, but can't find a shred of proof for this, however the guy said he worked on this type of ships in his youth so presumably he knew his stuff.

Good luck with the build.

Chas

Edited By Charles Oates on 29/08/2018 16:38:31

Charles Oates
              Participant
                @charlesoates31738

I forgot to add, what a treasure those plans by R.A. Sweet were, often unusual, cheap and easy to build. They seem to be forgotten about nowadays.

Chas

trevor hughes
                Participant
                  @trevorhughes84733

I also started another ship, can't remember the name but it was a foreign navy small ship with a what can best be described as a full width hoop/wing on the stern also from the sixties, malaysian seems to ring a distant bell.

As you say Charles unusual design

Charles Oates
                  Participant
                    @charlesoates31738

If it was one of R.A.Sweets, the Sri Perlis is a contender. One of my favourite models. I built it twice, 30 years apart.

Chas

trevor hughes
                    Participant
                      @trevorhughes84733

The Sri Perlis pictures show only a fast attack type boat the one I'm thinking of was more frigate size and I don't know who 's plan it was but I think the ship name began with M or B

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)