Prototype trawl net block

Advert

Prototype trawl net block

Home Forums All things floating Prototype trawl net block

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month, 1 week ago by ashley needham.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    mick east
    Participant
      @mickeast46851

Hi from the antipodes (Brisbane aus) At the moment I’m in between projects, still awaiting sails for the lady jane and working out the prophiles for my next model of a north sea inshore trawler measuring 120 cm long (I know we use that silly continental measures not good old feet and inches). Being a bit bored and to get out of the good ladies hair I squirreled myself away in the workshop and decided to try and make a working metal block for pulling in the trawl net. Bear in mind his is not the finished item more a prototype . Hopefully the finished product will be a bit more refined. 20240316_11460220240316_11474520240316_11595520240316_11482020240316_115405

Advert
      Len Morris 2
      Participant
        @lenmorris2

Hi Mick,

That’s a nice piece of metal work.  It looks like it’s made from aluminium and brass.  Here’s a few comments that might help.  Rivet heads on the ends of the spacers would look good.  If it’s going to be left in bright condition then the job’s done.  If it’s going to be coloured then paint doesn’t stick too well to non-ferrous metals (without some pre-treatment) and often gums up the moving bits of small parts.  If the finished product is made out of steel it can be coloured with no end of compounds that give rust resistance (gun blue etc) and don’t gum up the works.  Do post pictures of your project as it progresses.

Len

mick east
        Participant
          @mickeast46851

Thanks Len for the very constructive criticisms ,that’s exactly what I was hoping for . As the original post said it was more of a trial project to see if I could make a convincing looking working block., and to see if any members had ideas to improve my techniques . So your suggestions were fantastic.  I will post updates on the whole project from time to time but I’m a bit like a tortoise slow a steady so it might take a while.

ashley needham
          Participant
            @ashleyneedham69188

Mick. Great work at that size I must say. I can’t add anything to what len has said above other than if these blocks were in galvanised steel or cast, then the simply matting the aluminium might produce a similar look.

Ashley

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)