Propeller type

Advert

Propeller type

Home Forums Beginners Propeller type

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Garrad
    Participant
      @stephengarrad28964

I've very nearly finished my Alice Upjohn 1/12th lifeboat and am trying to order a pair of brass propellers. Size is not a problem (in this case) but it's the profile of the blades that puzzles me. Deans Marine website lists Raboesch 3 bladed props with 4 different profiles, A type, C type D type & Destroyer type.

What is the difference between the types & which do I need?

Thanks

Stephen

Advert
      Stephen Garrad
      Participant
        @stephengarrad28964
        David Marks 2
        Participant
          @davidmarks2

Suggest you try a company called Prop Shop. They just deal with props and prop shafts for model boats.

Stephen Garrad
          Participant
            @stephengarrad28964

Thanks for that, I've read elsewhere on the forum that Prop Shop will supply what I need, I'd just like to know a bit more about the what & why.

Stephen

neil hp
            Participant
              @neilhp

Stephen, take it from a modeller who has bought propellors for many years, not only for my scale trawlers and tugs, but mainly for the model lifeboats I build, that the only props I will entertain are those from Propshop

They even made me a special pair of 90mm propellors 11 years ago to power my large Clyde Class lifgeboat that I had designed as a semi kit.

They are cast in bronze and ballanced and pollished in store unlike other manufacturers whos props are brass and bladed soldered on to the boss which can regularly shake and shudder being unballanced.

If you do order from PropShop, read their instructions on how to order and order from the "standard scale" section.

Those props shown below are all from the standard scale section in different sizes., and are actually no dearer relatively to such manufacturers such as Raboesch but far superior in quality. .

img_4389.jpg

img_4390.jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 14/11/2022 23:46:07

Stephen Garrad
              Participant
                @stephengarrad28964

Good evening Neil, thanks for your reply, I remember reading your posts in the past about Propshop and how pleased you have been with their products, I'm quite happy to go down that route but I would just like to know a bit more about props in general and their different uses.

Stephen

Colin Bishop
                  @colinbishop34627

Stephen,

If you haven't already done so, have a look on the Prop Shop website:

**LINK**

There is a lot of information as to what props are suitable for different applications but Neil is right that the 'satndard' ones are best for your Alice Upjohn.

And, as he says, the Propshop propellers are excellent value for what you get. I have a couple on my models and they are works of art as well as being very efficient..

Colin

Stephen Garrad
                  Participant
                    @stephengarrad28964

Thanks Colin, I had already looked at the Prop Shop website and things are a bit clearer now.

Stephen

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)