Propeller Question

Advert

Propeller Question

Home Forums Beginners Propeller Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Adam Wood
    Participant
      @adamwood43576

Hi everyone…. I hope you can help me as this isn’t strictly about model boats, in a way it is though.

I’m looking to find the best prop design driven using a flow of water (rather than an engine driving water) and I need a number of characteristics if someone can help.

I require medium torque with high RPM (not the easiest combination) which could be driven from something like the flow of a tap or hosepipe.

Thanks in advance

Adam

Advert
      John Boyd
      Participant
        @johnboyd97248

Try ringing propshop they advertise in MODEL BOATS .

Telstar
        Participant
          @telstar

It depends what you want to drive with it.

It may be more effective to use a paddle bladed device. What you are talking about is a water turbine. These are very different to a normal prop. 

Tried to post a simpl drawing of what I mean, but don’t seem to be able to.

If you are interested give me a personal e-mail and I will forward a sketch to you

Cheers [email protected]

Robert Ryan
          Participant
            @robertryan95520

Can any one imform in the best way I can water proof the propeller shaft and rudder of a working model boat.

Malcolm Frary
            Participant
              @malcolmfrary95515

For Robert – the best known way is to ensure that the inner end is above the waterline.  Otherwise, follow the US convention of calling such tubes "stuffing boxes" – they get stuffed with grease.  On a model, light water resistant grease as too much heavy grease introduces drag.  

Another way is to make sure the bearings are a close fit, and that the end play is minimal.  I tend to favour using a small "O" ring as a washer at the prop end.

Adam Wood
              Participant
                @adamwood43576
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)