Pot of Gold?

Advert

Pot of Gold?

Home Forums Collectors’ corner Pot of Gold?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Bob Abell 2
    Participant
      @bobabell2

My good pal, Duckie hadn`t heard of Shrinlkng Dope before this morning?

pot of gold.jpg

I`ve had this tin of Aeromodelling nectar for about 25 years and could be a collectors item?

Can we still get this stuff?

Bob

Advert
      Bob Abell 2
      Participant
        @bobabell2
        Dave Milbourn
        Participant
          @davemilbourn48782

Collector's Item? Nope………

**LINK**

**LINK**

Dave M

Bob Abell 2
          Participant
            @bobabell2

What a coincidence?

A chap in the club had acquired a fiery Swordsman and the instructions recommended a dope finish

Bob

Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627

Apply it near a naked flame and you would get a fiery Swordsman indeed!

As I get older I have come to appreciate what shrinking dope actually means…..

Colin

Bob Abell 2
              Participant
                @bobabell2

Ha! Ha!?….Nice one, Colin

I noticed the typo, but left it in, as it seemed appropriate!

Bob

Dave Milbourn
                Participant
                  @davemilbourn48782

Bob
                  The instructions would mention sanding sealer, which isn't quite the same as dope in that it has a filler medium. I have recently used EzeKote sealer which would probably be very good with either lightweight glass cloth or even Modelspan tissue, but I would cover it with something to mask the heavy grain of liteply and/or balsa.
                  Dave M

ojays
                  Participant
                    @ojays
                    Posted by Dave Milbourn on 01/04/2013 12:18:11:

Bob
                    The instructions would mention sanding sealer, which isn't quite the same as dope in that it has a filler medium. I have recently used EzeKote sealer which would probably be very good with either lightweight glass cloth or even Modelspan tissue, but I would cover it with something to mask the heavy grain of liteply and/or balsa.
                    Dave M

As a child I couldn't afford both shrinking dope & sanding sealer. So an older modeller at that time taught me to mix the dope with talcum powder & presto it worked just fine.

Apply a coat and when dry rub it down, apply subsequent coats rubbing down between them again, and you end up with a glass like finish ready for painting!

Gregg

Bob Abell 2
                    Participant
                      @bobabell2

Thank you, Gregg

I used to use dope and talc too

Once built a Hawker Tempest with 14 coats of paint, it was beautiful……But it crashed first flight!

A common event!

Bob

ojays
                      Participant
                        @ojays

'But it crashed first flight!'

This was a common thing with my flying too, OK taking off and the flying bit!

The landings left a lot to the imagination!

Gregg

ashley needham
                        Participant
                          @ashleyneedham69188

Did you see in the paper only yesterday or so, that a light aircraft had an engine failiure and crashed into a garden…but it was fitted with a large parachute for just this circumstance, and the crash was it simply floating to the gound!! First I have heard of parachutes for light aircraft!!

Ashley (but what a good idea)

Bob Abell 2
                          Participant
                            @bobabell2

Hello Ashley

There was a prog on the telly recently and it was about a company making parachutes for small planes, but it never really caught on

And I remember there was one for model aircraft too

But my plane was a control liner!….lol

There's nowt new in the world………But don't you believe it!

Bob

Rod smart
                            Participant
                              @rodsmart62545

Hi Bob , I would have liked to see that program on fitting parachutes to planes as I have thought about it for airlines. Carn't think how it isn't practical , even to the point that you could put the plane into a stoll to kill the speed and deploy the parachutes. Well it's a thought

Rod

ashley needham
                              Participant
                                @ashleyneedham69188

I thought is was a spiffing idea and for the chap who used it, a life saver. I cant see how it would NOT be practical for small light aircraft. I might see that an airliner `chute would be more tricky, and would probably injure as many people when it was deployed, as gliding to a landing on a field or runway?

Bob. I have one aircraft at home, it is a control line job.. an Interceptor from the "Buck Rogers" T.V series. It has a ridiculously small glow engine at the back, but all the control line gear is missing; I > have hankered after getting it going one day. I have a feeling that a small brushless and LiPo pack may be the way to go nowadays. Do they still do control line stuff??

Ashley

Bob Abell 2
                                Participant
                                  @bobabell2

Hello Ashley

Control line flying is still in existence and is nice to watch, mainly for nostalgic reasons

We have a very active club flying at weekends on a quiet area of Barton aerodrome in Manchester

There used to be an international event club in Wigan called three Sisters……Named after three local slag heaps! The Russian models were immaculate

The speed models were enclosed in wire cages and was very exciting to watch…. they only ran for about 15 seconds and they used single bladed props!

I used to be a member of the Ashton club and just for the novelty…..Had a control liner rotating around a central pylon and RC controlled.

It actually appeared in an article in the RCMA magazine

I suppose that you could Google the aircraft parachute info?

Bob

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)