Please spec my equipment

Advert

Please spec my equipment

Home Forums R/C & Accessories Please spec my equipment

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brian Fry
    Participant
      @brianfry61832

This my first Post.

I have been retired for a while and decided to finish a boat that I started about 20 years ago.

I am completely out of touch with current motors and batteries.  

I have tried to pick up information about the motor/battery type/size from replies to other posts, but the only thing I have learned for sure is that it all depends on the size and type of model, so couldn’t copy these other suggestions with any confidence.

Here is what I have:

A completed hard chine hull built in ply, 24 inches long and 9 inch beam.

I intend to complete this as a semi-scale open runabout – i.e. no significant superstructure.

I don’t need it to go like a bat out of hell, but it would be nice to have a reserve of power for an occasional blast. 

The only piece of kit I have was bought a few years ago and is an Electronize 43X ESC which is rated 12-24v / 10 amp and does not have a B.E.C. 

I think using this item means that I will have to use a brushed motor but would like to know what size I require.

Following on, What would be the best type of battery to use; Nicad or lead-acid and following on from that, what sort of capacity should I consider?

Finally, I still have to obtain the radio system and here again I am thinking that a 2 channel system with one servo and using my ESC will suffice.

My final question then is what are the pros and cons between 27mhz and 40mhz systems?

I thank  everybody in advance, for any advice they can offer me……………… 

Advert
      ashley needham
      Participant
        @ashleyneedham69188

Brian. Correct, a brushed motor it is. The motor rather depends on the propeller size envisaged, possibly a 50mm brass 3 blade in your case??? A 555 motor at 6v would probly give you the power you want without being over the top. Or run it at 12v for more oomph. A geared como 540 of one sort or another is also an option especially for a larger prop. Batteries, this also depends on your stowage capacity for hiding such things (you will also need to hide the battery pack for the reciever as there is no BEC on the ESC). Gel lead-acids are cheaper for the capacity but bulkier than a NiMh pack. A 555 is very frugal on power consumption so a smaller 12v gel lead acid may suffice, approx 2.5 Ah or so. I am not sure that there is much to choose from between 27m and 40m. there are more channels available on 40M; 27m sets are very cheap if you only want 2 channels. its a lot of ifs and buts really. I am assuming the hull will be moderately light, if its a bit heavy something bigger may be needed in the motor dept. I have a stumpy 1870`s battleship of slightly smaller dimensions but very weighty for its size, and thats powered by a pair of toddy 385`s and 35mm props and shifts along at well overscale speed on 12v!   Ashley

Brian Fry
        Participant
          @brianfry61832

Many thanks Ashley, you have given me quite a lot to ponder!

I’ll start the rounds of the model shops on the ‘Net and see what my budget will run to.

I’ll report back when I have made some progress.

Thank you again 

Brian Fry
          Participant
            @brianfry61832
          Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)