Plating and rivets for a 1:48 Corvette

Advert

Plating and rivets for a 1:48 Corvette

Home Forums Scratch build Plating and rivets for a 1:48 Corvette

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Thor Frohn-Nielsen
    Participant
      @thorfrohn-nielsen58398

For my next model I’m planning to build a 1:48 scale scratch built Corvette, specifically the HMCS ‘Sackville’, now a museum in Nova Scotia.  A couple of questions.  Are there any specific plans people know about that are particularly good?  Secondly: I want to reproduce the plating and rivetting of the hull as closely as possible.  Any old articles or places to go for advice?  I remember reading in this magazine over the past year that someone sells scale rivets.  I can’t find the reference to it.   Anybody steer me right?  Finally, I’m thinking to make the hull, complete with all details, and then a mold and then a GPR hull form the mold.  I’ve worked with fiberglass plenty of times before, and am thinking of going this route to create a really sturdy hull.  Will I be able to get the details of the plating and rivets if I go this route–and is this process perhaps more work than is really necessary?  Thanks for all your help.

Advert
      John Hodkinson
      Participant
        @johnhodkinson18222

Hi Thor,

<:AtomicElement mce_serialized="1">         You may find John Lambert has what you are loking for with regard to drawings, he has loads of them on Flower corvettes including plating details.

<:AtomicElement mce_serialized="1">When I have reproduced rivets I have used a syringe filled with PVA glue, once used to how much pressure to use on the syringe it works well, takes time though.

<:AtomicElement mce_serialized="1">Regards

<:AtomicElement mce_serialized="1"> 

<:AtomicElement mce_serialized="1">John

Kevin Bellman
        Participant
          @kevinbellman86047

Hi Thor

Couple of links for you

http://www.hmcssackville-cnmt.ns.ca/

This one has some great pics of the preserved vessel

http://www.steelnavy.com/Sackville.htm

I agree with John try John Lamberet

http://www.lambert-plans.com/

If there is nothing listed give him a ring, really nice guy. I’m sure he be able to point you in the right direction.

Regards Kevin

Thor Frohn-Nielsen
          Participant
            @thorfrohn-nielsen58398

Thanks very much for the information.  It sounds as if the Lambert plans are indispensible. 

Cheers, Thor

John Platt
            Participant
              @johnplatt24069

Hi Thor.

I simulate rivets on my models using a model railway rivet punch which can be bought from the Midland Railway Centre, 339 Bath Road, Kettering, Northants, NN16 9LY, here in the UK. Telephone number 01536 410536. 

I have been unable to find a website for them but I am sure any good model railway engineering shop will sell you one. 

Mine is 15 years old and still works like new. 

John.

John Platt
              Participant
                @johnplatt24069

Hi Thor. 

Go to this web address and they will sell you the rivet punch machine.

http://www.metalsmith.co.uk/rivet-embossing-tool.htm

All the best.

John.

Bob Abell 2
                Participant
                  @bobabell2

Hello Thor

I may be a little late……..but if you have a look at my Gerat Eastern website……you`ll see how I`ve used thick card and a centrepunch to represent plating with rivets

Bob Abell

John Platt
                  Participant
                    @johnplatt24069

Hi Thor and Bob. 

I don’t know how many times this message is going to be posted as my PC is doing the strangest things.

Bob, would you mind posting your web address here, so I can go and have a look. Thanks.

Secondly, do you know the Reverend (I think) William Mole who built the wonderful model of the Great Britian? 

All the best.

John.

Bob Abell 2
                    Participant
                      @bobabell2

Hello John

My website is in this website…………….just look for latest images and you`ll find me OK.

Sorry, I don`t know the Reverend Mole………..but I would like to see the model………Is it on the web?

Bob

John Platt
                      Participant
                        @johnplatt24069

Hi Bob.

I am very impressed by the pictures, the rivets look very convincing.

I have tried to find the Rev. Moles web address but cant find it.

I know that MB’s ran about 6 articles about this model which was around the time they did my Sub. which was towards the end of 1980.

Sorry I cant be anymore helpful.

I will have a go at putting some of my models pictures in the gallery.

Thanks. 

John.

John Platt
                        Participant
                          @johnplatt24069

Sorry, here’s another question.

After weathering my boats I need to "Fix" the powders to make them waterproof. In the past I have used ladies hairspray but it only last for about 6 months. Any suggestions for me to try something else. 

When wanting rust, forget the Carrs powders. Go to Boots and see how many rust eye shadow colours there are, perfect.

John.

Bob Abell 2
                          Participant
                            @bobabell2

Hello John

I was thinking about rusting my model only today, but at the moment I`m bit hesitant……it could either improve the model or spoil it…………….I`ll wait to see yours first!

Don`t know of any sealant really…..but what about that stuff, artist`s use to seal pastel crayon pictures?

Bob

John Platt
                            Participant
                              @johnplatt24069

Hi Bob. 

The biggest mistake people make with weathering is over doing it. It should be subtle and NOT take away anything from the model itself. So many times a brilliant model which took years to make is completely ruined by TO MUCH weathering

The best thing to do is go and look at rusty things and dirty objects a lot, learn how they look and then off to Boots. Photograph it, study it and then make yours look the same. Using powders rather than paints allows to put it on and then if you don’t like the look, take it off and start again.

There must be millons of types and shades of rust.

John.

Thor Frohn-Nielsen
                              Participant
                                @thorfrohn-nielsen58398
                              Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)