Outrunner Vs inrunner for Huntsman 31

Advert

Outrunner Vs inrunner for Huntsman 31

Home Forums R/C & Accessories Outrunner Vs inrunner for Huntsman 31

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    John Pemberton 1
    Participant
      @johnpemberton1

looking for bushless setup to replace IC

Advert
      John Pemberton 1
      Participant
        @johnpemberton1

Hi,

Fairly new to the RC boating world ( had RC cars etc beforehand for 30yrs)

I have picked up a well built Huntsman 31 which had an IC engine in it.
        It is 36" long 11" LOA and is 3Kg weight. It has a single 50mm 2 blade prop.

I am looking at probably an outrunner 750 or 900kv motor, what would you recommend and which make too or should I be looking at an inrunner as it can be cooled easier??

What ESC are you all running with such a setup? water cooled? (it has water pickup etc already fitted.)

Thanks
        John

Chris Fellows
        Participant
          @chrisfellows72943

Hi John

Given that the boat is quite heavy yet you need planing performance you are in the right area with an outrunner and the kv you have stated. It provides good torque and with the right battery will provide the revs required of 1200rpm unloaded/10000rpm loaded.

Inrunners aren't the best choice as they generally have high kv and are more suited to fast electric/race boats, water jets etc.

You shouldn't need water cooling for the motor or ESC unless the boat is over-propped for the particular motor ( but brushless are very powerful as you know) but as it's already in there you can use it if you wish. You can get water-cooled motor mounts for brushless motors.

A 35mm dia. brushless would do the job but I prefer to err on the bigger size and so an Overlander 4250/06 800kv would do the job nicely – I've standardised on Overlander, but Component Shop do a Leopard Hobby LC4250-5T 960kv. Turnigy do good motors as well.

As far as ESC go the Overlander states 60amp, Leopard Hobby not stated but going by the max. current I'd go for 80amp minimum. Component Shop have suitable ESCs but I use HobbyWing Quicrun (non-water cooled) and Seaking (water cooled) Wheelspin Models for one, stock those.

Chris

John Pemberton 1
          Participant
            @johnpemberton1

Thanks for that Chris,

I will have a look though the suggestions, appreciate it as it's a bit of a minefield.

Cheers
            John

Chris Fellows
            Participant
              @chrisfellows72943

Yep, been through it!

Out for the day but if you have any other questions on batteries etc. then fire away.

Chris

Chris Fellows
              Participant
                @chrisfellows72943

As another choice, our friend Harry from Tasmania, is a big fan of the Turnigy 3648 1450kv in boats around your size which go really well. I think he uses the Quicrun ESC as well. Nothing water-cooled and no problems.

I'd normally recommend 800 to 1200kv, or thereabouts, for a model like this, and this motor is at the top end, but Harry has a lot of experience with this motor and likes to run his boats fast!

Good thing with brushless, being so powerful is that different sizes and voltages will give you the performance you want.

Chris

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)