My Time Media. Model Boats Magazine.

Advert

My Time Media. Model Boats Magazine.

Home Forums Soapbox My Time Media. Model Boats Magazine.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 151 through 172 (of 172 total)
  • Author
    Derek Bradley
    Participant
      @derekbradley32270

There seems to be a problem with the proof reading as it goes from Mountford Models on the cover to Mountfield Models on the contents page and then to Mountfleet Models on the heading for the article on page 30.

My only other comment (purely personal of course) is that it is a shame that it is of the American LCM and not the British version which I think has more character and I served on them in the Royal Marines during my National Service (What a long time ago that was).

Derek.

Advert
      Empire Parkstone
      Participant
        @empireparkstone

Not ''45'' by any chance? Derek

Boiler Bri
        Participant
          @boilerbri

Ouch cheeky

Derek Bradley
          Participant
            @derekbradley32270

No, I did not go on to Commando School which was at Bickleigh in those days. I went from Lympstone to RMB, Eastney and there was trained on to the Landing Craft Wing. I took part in the coronation and then went to the Royal Naval Rhine Squadron (HMS Royal Prince) at Uerdinghen near Krefeld, where I was a coxswain on an LCA. I seem to recall returning from leave on the Empire Parkstone from Harwich to the Hook of Holland. What an awful tub that was. We crossed the channel in a storm and everyone on board was sea-sick (except me). All interesting times.

Empire Parkstone
            Participant
              @empireparkstone

ah 45 was stationed down the road from us in Aden the Parkstone was ok as long as you didn't have a lower bunk

Never ever got a daytime crossing

Tim Cooper
              Participant
                @timcooper90034

Has everyone got their copy of the magasine now?

Mine still seems to be with the postal fairies. I assume that they are all sent out at more or less the same time?

Tim

Edited By Tim Cooper on 04/08/2020 11:57:12

Chris Fellows
                Participant
                  @chrisfellows72943

Mine arrived the day after some of the other posters which was a few days ago so you should have received yours now.

A neighbour has even picked up a copy from the newsagent.

Chris

ashley needham
                  Participant
                    @ashleyneedham69188

Bought mine on 31st! Loads at Smiffs in Kingston.

one or two REALLY good articles in there…

Ashley

another really good article next month apparently!

Edited By ashley needham on 04/08/2020 14:22:28

Ray Wood 3
                    Participant
                      @raywood3

Hi Ashley,

Very nice article and pictures of the Sans Pareil

and more models next month, you are on fire!!

All the best Ray

sammyk
                      Participant
                        @sammyk

Hi fellow modellers,well done to all at time media under these strange times or putting together our favourite magazine,I look forward to future issues.regards sammyk

Empire Parkstone
                        Participant
                          @empireparkstone

Sept Issue just dropped through the doorsmiley

Empire Parkstone
                          Participant
                            @empireparkstone

Got my renewal notice today and it Stinks. If I pay by card not only will it cost app £5 more than if I pay by Direct Debit.The RUB is my sub ends with the March issue and direct debit would not be taken till the sub ends as opposed to being taken immediately by card. Fifty quid some 3 months in advance on floundering vessel

Ray Wood 3
                            Participant
                              @raywood3

Hi Empire,

Sounds like the choice is yours ? My purchase of Model Boats costs me £3.50 extra per issue for parking in Maidstone to visit WH Smiths. which equates to £42.00 per annum so it's roundabouts & swing's ?

Although I did hear the freeplan in the December issue is pretty good

Regards Ray

Empire Parkstone
                              Participant
                                @empireparkstone

Hi Ray It's not the amount it is the attitude. To me it says unless you pay by direct debit it will cost you more and unless you Pay Now 3 months in advance it will probably cost you more. It has always been cheaper to do it by direct debit that is fine but for me the Mag quality is struggling I hope it improves but will wait and see

MP

Ray Wood 3
                                Participant
                                  @raywood3

Hi MP

I know where your coming from with the subscription business, when I go and have a flick through the mag at Smith's I don't buy that issue if it's not of interest, and to be fair I have struggled with finding anything of interest in some issue's, with the long running columns, but having the choice saves me money in the long run.

Publication of the magazine has always been about making money for Mytime Media, or who ever the owners were at the time, and for the people like me who have been reading the magazine for 50 years will realise how the lack of ic boating in general recently has taken the wow factor away from model boating for young'sters, all that noise smoke & speed was actually quite exciting, not knowing when it would stop in the middle of the lake was quite challenging

And generally the editors in the past came with built in modelling background knowledge of the hobby, I know Paul Freshney and John Cundell were great examples.

Sorry rant over

Regards Ray

I think although electric power is environmentally good, but it's pretty soul less in my view

Colin Bishop
                                    @colinbishop34627

There was also a rather well known gentleman by the name of Vic Smeed Ray…..

Colin

Ray Wood 3
                                    Participant
                                      @raywood3

Hi Colin,

Yes the great Vic Smeed in many ways my hero for his broad ability to design boats and planes and being a fighter pilot !!

I'm sad that I didn't meet him, but I do try to keep his design's in the spotlight by building them at different sizes and have them published for the next generations as in the December issue of MB's with Mini Mist.

I have been blessed with a family, dad,uncle & grandad who bought many modelling and fullsize boating magazines, set me up for so many interests

Regards Ray

Colin Bishop
                                        @colinbishop34627

Yes, Vic's legacy lies in his wonderful aircraft and model boat designs in the eyes of most people. Yet he seemed to feel that his best achievements lay elsewhere.

When I was commissioned to edit the special 60th anniversary commemorative issue of Model Boats back in 2010 I sent a copy to Vic together with a letter acknowledging the tremendous debt owed to him by model boaters everywhere for his long editorship and for all his designs which were still giving people such a lot of pleasure.

I received a very gracious reply from him thanking me for my efforts but at the same time suggesting that he would have taken a somewhat different approach in focussing on his work in promoting international model boating competition through NAVIGA and the international model yachting events.

He did indeed contribute a huge amount in this area but sadly by the beginning of the new millenium, UK model boating at least had set its face against competitive events and mainstream activities and competitions such as the MPBA scale championships were fading away into oblivion from the high points leading up to the end of the 1980s.

This is probably a reflection on the increasing age profile of model boaters. The glory days of scale, and indeed other sections were in the 1970s and 1980s. I took a break from active modelling from 1994 to the early 2000s when I bought a full size boat and when I returned I found that competitive scale model boating, whether on the pond, or in exhibitions had declined almost to the point of extinction.

These days, the norm in most cases is simply to sail around the pond in a social manner which I tend to find rather boring. I do miss those ingenious MPBA scale courses which put both boat and builder through their paces but am grateful to have enjoyed what seems to have been the high point of the hobby.

As for static exhibition judging, such competitions are now almost impossible given the options available to builders with ready made hulls, a wide range of fittings and new techniques such as 3D printing. An old style scratch builder can hardly hope to match the intricacy of a 3D printed gun mount for example.

Times change!

Colin

Chris Fellows
                                        Participant
                                          @chrisfellows72943

Whilst I'm a newcomer to model boats, well any RC, I can fully understand what you are saying about the best days being over. I'm interested in cars and motorbikes as well and have said many times that I've been lucky to have lived through the time of the best IC engines before they have been strangled by increasingly stricter emissions regulations and I understand their need.

My Triumph motorbikes have lovely twin and triple engines, some with carbs and my Audi TT a gem of a 2.0 turbo petrol engine and these machines aren't going anywhere as I shall enjoy them for as long as I can. After a succession of diesels which I liked for their effortless performance our practical car now also has a 2.0 turbo petrol engine as I was determined to have a last one before being forced into a hybrid or electric.

As Ray says, electric is souless (though boats are impressive and do have a sound to them) – I went to a hill climb once where some electric bikes were going up, it was completely wrong with no exhaust noise and gear changes, totally boring! Don't get me started on Formula E car racing!

And my BIL has a Tesla. Fantastic acceleration, but that's it. Can't imagine car meets and rallies in the future!

Dinosaur Chris

Edited By Chris Fellows on 14/11/2020 21:10:23

Colin Bishop
                                            @colinbishop34627

Driving isn't what it used to be and that's for sure! Safer certainly, but less fun.

Best driving I have done in recent years is in New Zealand and around various parts of Greece. Total pleasure but sometimes a bit hairy in Greece. I think I could drive around NZ forever and never be bored.

Colin

Chris Fellows
                                            Participant
                                              @chrisfellows72943

NZ yeah! Spent 5 weeks touring there 3.5 years ago and despite having boring hire cars absolutely loved it. Wished I'd got the TT or a bike there though. Also loved the sense of freedom.

Chris

img_5381.jpg

img_5382.jpg

Edited By Chris Fellows on 14/11/2020 22:23:45

Empire Parkstone
                                              Participant
                                                @empireparkstone

Thought this Topic was

My Time Media. Model Boats Magazine

Viewing 22 posts - 151 through 172 (of 172 total)