MV Stability (1949) – F T Everard & Sons

Advert

MV Stability (1949) – F T Everard & Sons

Home Forums Scratch build MV Stability (1949) – F T Everard & Sons

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Ray Wood 3
    Participant
      @raywood3

lb1.jpgHi All,

Well it's time for the ship's boats, rather than buy plastic one's which would be cheating, here are some from the scrap box, some pine blanks with a central keel to give the stem & stern more definition, once the pine is profiled from top and side shapes, it is all down to the Permagrit block for shaping, they are built with the central ridge for the cover support line, which will be covered with heat shrink Solartex to represent the coverslb2.jpg.

Regards Ray

Advert
      Ray Wood 3
      Participant
        @raywood3

lb3.jpglb4.jpg

Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

lb7.jpglb6.jpg

Richard Simpson
          Participant
            @richardsimpson88330

Solartex is superb stuff but you can't beat the smell of cellulose dope!

Ray Wood 3
            Participant
              @raywood3

Hi Richard,

Yes I agree, can't beat it tissue covering takes me back to my roots.

Regards Raypoppet 160122.jpg

Richard Simpson
              Participant
                @richardsimpson88330

I went into a large model shop in Ashton-Under-Lyne in the early 80s and asked them if they had any coloured dope. The place went quiet and everyone turned to look at me. I was informed that the use of dope went out years previously and they had a huge selection of varying types of Solartex.

I went for the Solartex of course but still get a buzz out of using and smelling dope even now. My aircraft I built with my Dad as a youngster were all tissue and dope covered.

Ray Wood 3
                Participant
                  @raywood3

Hi All,

Well the boats have been a mini project in their own right, many thanks to Bob Wilson for his tips on using wire for the lines It's still rather heavy looking but modelling is a continual learning process, which is what I like, the next one's will be better. ! the guardrails and stanchions are a chore but bring things to life.

Regards Raystability boats 190322.jpg

Richard Simpson
                  Participant
                    @richardsimpson88330

Looking very neat and tidy Ray. I agree the stanchions can be a bit of a chore but transform the look of the model so are well worth putting a bit of time into.

ashley needham
                    Participant
                      @ashleyneedham69188

Good stuff Ray. Like the ships boats..the top looks very effective.

Railings are something I avoid, as they get damaged easily and are a faff. The only railings I have are steel cheaty ones which are easy and durable if not quite pukka.

Oddly enough the railings on the big destroyer are all mostly ok,considering there’s over 12 feet of them on the boat. A good job, as repairing them would have been a nightmare.

Ashley

neil hp
                      Participant
                        @neilhp

i love carving ships boats with a sharp scalpel knife.

do them in exactly the same way as you Ray except that i use obeche' as my blanks.

very theraputic is whittling

Ray Wood 3
                        Participant
                          @raywood3

Hi All,

Well that's about it Stability is nearly done, I have gone further with this build and learned plenty along the way, Bob Wilson's wire approach to rigging and lines is great ! Thanks Bob.

The next ship ?? will be better

Regards Raystab last.jpg

Bob Wilson
                          Participant
                            @bobwilson59101

That looks really smart, and that is a very good job you have made of the white line around the hull, especially where it curves down into the well deck.

Bob

Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)