Motor ESC setup?

Advert

Motor ESC setup?

Home Forums R/C & Accessories Motor ESC setup?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jonnytheboat
    Participant
      @jonnytheboat

Hello folks,

I'm a newbie here and would appreciate some advice. I'm currently constructing a model of a raised quarterdeck coaster at a scale of approximately 1/60. The model is 27 inches long overall and has a beam of 5 inches. Her draught is about 2 inches. Please could someone suggest a motor/esc/battery setup? I don't want her to travel quickly and she'll have a rather large propeller as I'm trying to keep things looking right for when she's on display, the propeller will be a 4 bladed 40mm job I hope, 45mm would be more scale but I'd like to keep the prop with a decent amount of water around it. Also could any of you recommend a prop shaft that won't leak too much? Thank you in advance

Jonnytheboat

Advert
      Jonnytheboat
      Participant
        @jonnytheboat

Raised quarterdeck coaster scratch build

Richard Simpson
        Participant
          @richardsimpson88330

Hi Johnny and welcome to the forum. As usual with such questions there will be as many answers as there are members but I think we will all be in the same ball park.

Your model is fairly small and not performance based so I would go for something along the lines of a 360 to 385 motor. I would have a chat with these guys to get an exact recommendation.

Como Drills

This is a more expensive route than picking up something off Ebay but you know you are getting quality and a good support service.

Once you have your motor identified you should then have a good idea of the current it will draw so you can then select your speed controller. There are lots of Chinese speed controllers available on line and through various outlets but, for myself, I prefer to use a British based manufacturer who are always available to help so, for me, this would be Mtroniks:

Mtroniks

I would go for a waterproof Viper speed controller, which are designed for Marine use. I would guess you would be going for a Viper marine 15 or 25. This also includes a power supply for the receiver so you are saving the weight of another battery for that, and a power switch to switch everything on and off.

The battery is very much dependent on your ballasting situation and how much capacity you have available as regards weight. For such a model though I would expect that a 7.2 V NimH pack would do the job and a capacity of 3000 or 5000 mah would keep you going for a couple of hours. This would also sit nice and flat in the main hold so keeping your centre of gravity low. This is a typical battery, again from a UK supplier so you have a degree of support and a better quality product:

Component Shop

Finally don't forget the radio requirements and always include a suitable sized fuse in the positive lead from the battery. This should be rated less than the amperage of the speed controller.

As regards the shaft there are a couple of possible suppliers such as Cornwall Model boats:

Cornwall Model Boats

Those with plastic bushes tend to leak a little bit more but putting oil in them can help and, of course they are cheap. With your type of model the inner end of the shaft will be below the water line so will tend to leak that little bit more. The best shafts are those fitted with sealed ball bearings at either end, which are obviously more expensive but seal better. For your model I would prefer a ball bearing type. I have a 1/32nd scale raised quarterdeck coaster and fitted a ball raced shaft tube in it for that reason. They do require slightly more power to turn but this will not be an issue for a low performance model.

Let us know how you get on.

Ray Wood 3
          Participant
            @raywood3

Hello Jonny,

Have a look at my coaster build thread – M V Stability built from a plan drawn by Jim Pottinger 1/72nd scale 32" long.

It may give you some ideas, do you have a drawing to work from ??

Regards Raystab last.jpg

Jonnytheboat
            Participant
              @jonnytheboat

Thank you so much for your detailed replies and pictures. I'll certainly do that. The drawing was enlarged from a book called ' Steam coasters and short sea traders ' I had the drawing enlarged and then drew up horizontal sections which I then built up bread and butter fashion.

Richard Simpson
              Participant
                @richardsimpson88330

One of the superb C V Waine books

Ray Wood 3
                Participant
                  @raywood3

The C V Waine books are brilliant for model making, this is my version of Briarfield blown up from the book

Rubbish photo

Regards Raybriarfield oct 16 001.jpg

Richard Simpson
                  Participant
                    @richardsimpson88330

Beautiful job Ray. I've got all the CV Waine books and enjoy just flicking through them occasionally. There is one in the same series but not by CV Waine, which is a factual description of life aboard these ships at this time. It is incredibly interesting to see how they lived on such vessels as coastal cargo ships, plying their trade around the likes of the Irish Sea. I'll look up the title later.

Here we go:

"Old Time Steam Coasting" by O G Spargo & T H Thomason with illustrations by C V Waine 1982

A beautiful book and an absolutely fascinating read.

Edited By Richard Simpson on 28/07/2022 09:04:36

Jonnytheboat
                    Participant
                      @jonnytheboat

Thanks for the photo Ray that's useful to see the colour scheme, I've only got a black and white photo. I keep trying to upload photos of my build but the laptop (Mac!) isn't cooperating.

Jonnytheboat
                      Participant
                        @jonnytheboat

Hello folks,

l’ve finally managed to upload some pictures of the model. I hope you like them?

kind regards

J

Jonnytheboat
                        Participant
                          @jonnytheboat

897df371-6a2c-42b4-8a5a-1970262984c0.jpeg

Jonnytheboat
                          Participant
                            @jonnytheboat

3a7a1370-a19b-4f16-b760-612e45abd613.jpeg

Colin Bishop
                              @colinbishop34627

Lovely classic wood construction there, I really like it.

Colin

Ray Wood 3
                              Participant
                                @raywood3

Hi Jonny,

Yes a super job, and you won't need much ballast with that lovely timber hull

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 29/07/2022 16:31:58

Richard Simpson
                                Participant
                                  @richardsimpson88330

Lovely job. Bread and butter construction nowadays seems to be getting less and less popular. There's nothing sturdier though!

Jonnytheboat
                                  Participant
                                    @jonnytheboat

Thank you all, very kind!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)