Metric vs Imperial

Advert

Metric vs Imperial

Home Forums News and Feedback Metric vs Imperial

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Glen Howard
    Participant
      @glenhoward71590

As a non-UK resident living in a metric world, and being too young to have been raised on imperial measurement, I really struggle with all the measurements being given in imperial scale in Model Boats magazine. I know I can have a converter by my side and quickly convert from one to the other, but I have to say it would considerably improve my enjoyment and comprehension of this otherwise excellent magazine if all measurements were described in BOTH metric AND imperial.

Not sure how widespread my concerns are, so I look forward to hearing from any others in the same boat (so to speak).

Advert
      Former Member
      Participant
        @formermember51289

[This posting has been removed]

Adrian Jones
        Participant
          @adrianjones26420

How long is a fortnight of furlongs? 😉

ARH
          Participant
            @arh

I have just bought a new rule , metric on one side , imperial on the other, it as simple as that.

Mike Gibbons
            Participant
              @mikegibbons

How long is a fortnight of furlongs?
              Approximately equal to 15.47938200673 chains

Paul Freshney
              Participant
                @paulfreshney24971

Yes, metric v imperial is a matter of concern. Glynn Guest’s solution is probably best and most practicable. As Editor I cannot readily change all the measurements in an article from one to the other. The other consideration is that many scale models, including kits, are built to 1/12, 1/24, 1/32, 1/48, 1/72 and are essentially imperial based. I can certainly request future contributions to use both measurements where possible, but it would not be practicable for articles already within the system. Another point is that most existing plans in our plans service are in imperial measurements and it would not be practicable to re-legend them all. The half-way house suggested by Glynn Guest is a sensible solution – perhaps that is why his free plan contributions are so popular!

Glen Howard
                Participant
                  @glenhoward71590

Thanks Paul, I take your point regarding the nature of most modelling scales. I couldn’t ask any more than you have suggested here. I certainly don’t expect the entire back-catalogue of plans and articles to be re-written to suit me! Thanks all for your thoughts.

Adrian Jones
                  Participant
                    @adrianjones26420

A metres is 39.37 inches – it’s longer than a yard, you see!

Glen Howard
                    Participant
                      @glenhoward71590
                    Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)