Loch Nevis

Advert

Loch Nevis

Home Forums Build Blogs Loch Nevis

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Dave43
    Participant
      @dave43

hull.jpgWell made a start, its now time for sanding sealer for the hull.

Spent a few days trying to get a good set of plans but nothing about, so set off with a few pics and a sketch from the side to be going on with.

dave

Edited By Dave43 on 19/01/2018 10:15:14

Advert
      Dave43
      Participant
        @dave43

scratch build from photos

ashley needham
        Participant
          @ashleyneedham69188

43:. Good man. Working without plans is very rewarding, and as long as you make a reasonable job of it, no one can gainsay you, as there are no plans to compare with. Certainly true of half the things I build!

​Although there may be no actual plans of your vessel, things like fittings will be generic for the period of course for the detailing.

​Do you have any measurements of the real ship, as this is usually of great help…..failing this, scaling to persons in a picture is a good method.

Ashley

Edited By ashley needham on 19/01/2018 10:18:28

Dave43
          Participant
            @dave43

Yes it does feel good, to have seen a sketch of boat deck and a set of dimensions about length and beam. So away I went, a few pictures and as you say people are a good indicator of scale worked out to be about 1/76 so hopefully train stuff will be ok.

Paul T
            Participant
              @pault84577

Hi Dave

Is this site link any help with your project?

Paul

Dave43
              Participant
                @dave43

thanks Paul thats the very one and there was only one more partialy showing the decks 3 & 4

dave

ashley needham
                Participant
                  @ashleyneedham69188

M​aking it at train scale will be very good, as once completed you will be able to populate it with passengers/crew, lots of them and this will make the boat stand out from the usual ones with NO passengers.

​Ashley

Paul T
                  Participant
                    @pault84577

Dave

Did you join the Ships of Calmac forum so that you could access all of their information?

Paul

Dave43
                    Participant
                      @dave43

hi Paul.

gave ships of cal mac on facebook a view but didnt look for any others. suppose i shoud have done ….but prefer doing other things than on the computer. and thought i had enough info to make a start, however no doubt there will be a few discrepancies to worry about later on.

dave

Paul T
                      Participant
                        @pault84577

Dave

It might be worth it as they do have access to a full set of drawings.

Paul

Edited By Paul T on 21/01/2018 12:01:29

Dave43
                        Participant
                          @dave43

might be a bit risky might have to start again! but could be a good idea whats that .nothing ventured and all that

dave

Paul T
                          Participant
                            @pault84577

Dave

I joined the forum and found the site to be a mine of information with plenty of photos but somewhat difficult to navigate.

Paul

ashley needham
                            Participant
                              @ashleyneedham69188

Dave. Yes you will have a dilemma if the plans show something more than "just a bit" different to that which you have made already!!

​Depends on if you want a pukka scale model or something that looks the part. Nothing wrong with boats that look the part…that's what most of mine are!

Ashley

Dave43
                              Participant
                                @dave43

whoops already found a bit of a differance from the first drawing. and after study of photos made my first modification. so not a big one to differ from original.

yes think it will only look the part, think it would be too difficult to follow at this scale and no drawings so a close 'looking the part' it will be ok from the side of pond hopefuly .

next problem is the ramp hinge had thoughts about use of a strip of cloth no doubt it could be hidden and not seen after painting and the like

ds

ashley needham
                                Participant
                                  @ashleyneedham69188

Dave. Try model aircraft rudder/flap hinges. Come in a range of sizes. Ashley

Paul T
                                  Participant
                                    @pault84577

Piano Hinge:

Image result for small piano hinge

Dave43
                                    Participant
                                      @dave43

thanks Ashley and Paul will give them a look at.

Dave

Bob Wilson
                                      Participant
                                        @bobwilson59101

Last year, I produced a series of downloads called The Shelterdeck, containing historical notes, model constructional notes and various nautical articles. They are about 16 pages in length, and each contains a ship plan. Each issue took me between 7 and 8 hours to write, so there is a nominal charge of £1.49 each (less than the price of a cup of coffee). Interest in these articles steadily declined, so I eventually discontinued them after just over a year, but they all remain available. The plans of Lochnevis are contained in this one: **LINK**

If you click the link, and scroll down a bit, you are not committed to purchase, but may read the synopsis. Then, if you wish to purchase the download, a Paypal/credit card button is provided.

I am not a business, or a plans service, being aged 73, but a retired seafarer, whose hobby is writing, and building ship models. Please see my photo album here on Model Boats. Here is a photograph of my model Lochnevis, built from the plans in The Shelteredeck.

Bob

lochnevis (medium).jpg

Edited By Bob Wilson on 05/02/2018 09:08:52

Banjoman
                                        Participant
                                          @banjoman

Bob,

I may be mistaken, but I think that Dave's model is of the current Lochnevis (**LINK**), whereas yours looks like an older ferry with the same name … ?!

Mattias

Bob Wilson
                                          Participant
                                            @bobwilson59101

Mattias,

I didn't know there is a current Lochnevis, but looking at your link, there are three large windows and two small ones on the side. In Dave's model, there are five, all the same size, as in my older Lochnevis shown above. No doubt Dave will clarify which one presently. If it is the present one, I doubt whether plans will be made available, even though they will exist, because of security!

Bob

Banjoman
                                            Participant
                                              @banjoman

Bob,

You are quite right, and as you say I'm sure Dave will presently confirm which one it is; however, my guess is that it'll be the current one, given the length of the fore deck in relation to the side windows that you mention. On the older ship the fore deck is quite long, with the bridge (and the side windows) almost midships, as in your model, while the modern one has the superstructure (and the windows) closer to the bows …

Mattias

Edited By Banjoman on 05/02/2018 10:45:11

Dave43
                                              Participant
                                                @dave43

lochnevis (5).jpghi all

yes its the current one I am working on, and yes had to sort out the windows, but this is what happens when you get drawings from ships of calmac …not realy as is. so windows are now sorted ready for painting of the hull and working on the ramp now, so hope i dont come across any more fopars. at least as easy to remedy as the windows.

dave

Edited By Dave43 on 05/02/2018 12:15:43

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)