Liverpool class lifeboat and tractor/carriage build

Advert

Liverpool class lifeboat and tractor/carriage build

Home Forums Build Blogs Liverpool class lifeboat and tractor/carriage build

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    neil hp
    Participant
      @neilhp

back to the carriage….

the 3 different coats have been added today starting this morning with the yellowish filler primer, and then after noon i put on the grey primer, and left to dry with a hot fan blower to warm up the workshop to a nice warm atmosphere before adding the topcoat of Hannerite hammered silver, which actually dries like galvanised steel……..

however, unlike the halfords primers which in the warm atmosphere have dried within a couple of hours to repaint, i sprayed the Hammerite at around 18.00 hours, and have just checked it, and it is still slightly tacky,

so will finish spraying the "B" side [underneath] tomorrow once the garrage has gained some warmth, and can then be left untouched for the day

img_9031.jpg

img_9032.jpg

img_9033.jpg

img_9034.jpg

img_9042.jpg

img_9043.jpg

img_9044.jpg

Advert
      ashley needham
      Participant
        @ashleyneedham69188

Hammerite is good stuff and very useful on the odd occasion.

Trevor used red smoothrite on his Tup and it went very glossy and smooth, in one coat.

Like the idea of it looking like galvanising.

Ashley

Richard Simpson
        Participant
          @richardsimpson88330

On my first trip to sea in 1977 the main engine was painted in a silvery blue Hammerite. Incredibly tough paint but also very volatile. Nowadays it is all two part epoxy based paints but I still remember the smell in the machinery spaces when the crew were repainting some areas of the engine.

neil hp
          Participant
            @neilhp

ahhh, relief………now i can tidy up at home and tidy up in the workshop……..then get on with my Tyne……….

for i have finally finished the carriage to attach to the tractor that pulls my new [ when i have built it] Metcalf Models Liverpool class lifeboat, to be named Edgar George Orlando and Eva Child whilst stationed at Blackpool.

having never built such a model, i have really enjoyed the challenge, and dont think it looks too bad.

All lines and strops have been added for both hauling and holding to the carriage whilst in transit from boat house to sea.

hope you like it………..i do……….might not be 100% accurate, but looks the part from ten paces with a boat sat on top, lol…And before i started i didn't have an idea as to how long it actually is………48"…

bigger than one of my lifeboats, as was………..no where to put it lol.

img_9058.jpg

img_9059.jpg

img_9060.jpg

img_9062.jpg

img_9065.jpg

Chris Fellows
            Participant
              @chrisfellows72943

Nice to build something completely different but still associated with what you usually build. Well built and a nice addition to your collection Neil.

Chris

neil hp
              Participant
                @neilhp
                Posted by Chris Fellows on 17/05/2021 18:04:34:

Nice to build something completely different but still associated with what you usually build. Well built and a nice addition to your collection Neil.

Chris

thanks Chris,

i have an atlantic 21 kit that i am going to build in the future so might buld one of these 12th scale working landrovers and a trailor for the lifeboat rib…….and then call the land traffic a day, lol…………..but not till next year.

ashley needham
                Participant
                  @ashleyneedham69188

Yes, a great prop for the boats themselves.

Ashley

neil hp
                  Participant
                    @neilhp

now that i have finished my Tyne Class lifeboat, i have gone back to the previous build of the new Metcalf Models Liverpool lifeboat kit.

i have completed the tractor and trailer to carry the lifeboat once finished, and i have always loved the old classics, especially when they carry a set of Ocre coloured sails.

i knew that the Liverpools carried a set in the early days of their design and i knew that i had some pictures of one tucked away somewhere.

i had already decided to have a good clear out of junk from my work shop before i started my next model, and whilst on the first part of the binge the other day i found the magazine containing photos of the restoration of a mk 1 single engined Liverpool with a full seyt of sails.

the mk one and mk 2 Liverpools wee slightly different in that the mk 2 liverpool was slightly different in beam width in that she has twin engines and twin prop shaft tunnels, and a slightly wider cockpit, but AND a big but, she did carry sails.

And so, as a self confessed NONE RIVET COUNTER builder i have decided to fit the same sail rig as the older mk 1 Liverpool……..purely and simply because she will look b****y lovely.

my daughter, who is at UNI in York who got an A in her A level fabrics and design has kindly agreed o make the set for me if i make the paper templates for her on her sowing machine [ i value my fingers too much to do that…….bad enough with a scalpal], and now that i have the preliminaries sorted, and once the workshop is clean and tidy, i can get started.

hopefully, my model will look like a minature of this beautiful old lady.

liverpool sails1.jpg

liverpool sails (2).jpg

liverpool sails (4).jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 25/09/2021 14:58:46

Richard Simpson
                    Participant
                      @richardsimpson88330

Absolutely superb, and I know you will do it justice. I'm looking forward to watching you build this one.

neil hp
                      Participant
                        @neilhp
                        Posted by Richard Simpson on 25/09/2021 16:35:16:

Absolutely superb, and I know you will do it justice. I'm looking forward to watching you build this one.

i thought you might Richard, and so am i………..plenty of timber to stain and varnish, which i love on a boat.

another few days in the workshop to clear out and then i'll start on her. she's safely stowed away until io have space for her.

neil hp
                        Participant
                          @neilhp

anoher job done whilst i get my workshop tidy during the day………..just made the templates complete with stitch markings for my 3 sails for the Liverpool class lifeboat, when it comes to being built.

my younger daughter is going to sew them for me…………………

no way am i going to go anywhere near a sewing machine………..bad enough with a swann morton scalpal, lol.

img_0559.jpg

img_0560.jpg

neil hp
                          Participant
                            @neilhp

now been mounted on the dyed cotton that will eventually become the sails

img_0561.jpg

img_0562.jpg

neil hp
                            Participant
                              @neilhp

i just had a look at my buld blogg and cant believe that i havent posted on it since october..

things went a bit awry with the build in late October/early November and fell out of sorts with it, but not disinterested in it…..but my stupid mistakes were due to my arrogance and manhood in not reading the instructions that make the job easy for the builder.

my big mistake was going ahead with making the support deck frames for the boat, and not realising that all those years ago i had actually made frames with cut outs for more support and drawn those to actual size and given to Dave to develope as lazer cut timber…

my stupidity at times knows no bounds……..and i ended up with a frame that, was totally unworkable with regards to the support of the deck. the picture below, was my original miserable attempt.

img_0868 (1).jpg

img_0869.jpg

but then i discovered the proper cross frames by actually overcoming my fear of actually reading a set of instructions that Dave Metcalf had written to actually aid the builder…….and came up with the proper beams

img_0876.jpg

and glued them into the hull at the specific measurements given IN THE INSTRUCTIONS, and reinforced them to the hull by using P40 glass strand impregnated filler to the joints between frames and hull. this was of course after removing all the wasted timber that i had used to make the useless frames.

img_0877.jpg

img_0878.jpg

img_0910.jpg

img_0918.jpg

img_0917.jpg

neil hp
                              Participant
                                @neilhp

on the previous photos, you can, on the aft end of the boat, the belting around the boats bulwaks has been marked with pencil lines. these pencil lines mark the possitions of 9 cut outs in the belting that all but 3/4 of the early twin motor Liverpools had.

the reason why these cut outs were not included in the moulding of the hulls is, that it would have been nigh on impossible to actually mould the hull with them in. And as most lifeboat modellers actually pretty precise in which boat they want to build, the choice for them is infinate, and as such when Dave Metcalf asked me to design this kit 17 years ago i asked him about such a matter, and told him that the initial 3/4 boats didn't have them, as did none of the single engined Liverpool boats that came first……so they were left off.

but as i am bilding this model as a specific boat, i decided to back fill the inside of the hull area which was to be cut out and filed with small files, and then drill and cut out the holes. Which i did.

img_0911.jpg

img_0912.jpg

img_0914.jpg

img_0916.jpg

and it was here that i left the lifeboat as i realised i was running out of time to finish the candle lit house for my daughter, as she had started earlier this year started collecting the small tea light houses…………so i got on with that, and finished it a few days ago for her mystery christmas present.

img_0887.jpg

img-20211204-wa0002.jpg

img-20211204-wa0003.jpg

the boat, i will get back to after all my christmas cheer has left me, lol.

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)