Lead Acid Batteries

Advert

Lead Acid Batteries

Home Forums Scratch build Lead Acid Batteries

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Peter Smith 24
    Participant
      @petersmith24

The boat I am working on has four 6 volt lead acid batteries. This I am sure is partly for ballast and obviously power. The motor I am using is 24 volt, so wiring the batteries in series will give me the voltage I require.

My problem is I want to fit a smoke machine. The one I have purchased only requires 12 volts. How does this work with the batteries I have?

Advert
      Peter Smith 24
      Participant
        @petersmith24
        Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

Just take power from two of the batteries in series on a separate circuit. It will mean that those two get run down a bit faster than the other two but as long as the smoke machine doesn't draw too much current then it won't matter much.

Alternatively use a voltage reducer off the 24v supply. This one is adjustable and will give up to 3 amps which may be enough for the smoke machine – you will need to check.

**LINK**

Colin

Edited By Colin Bishop on 30/12/2021 16:25:35

Richard Simpson
          Participant
            @richardsimpson88330

24 v is a little unusual for model boat use, not unheard of but unusual. Does 24 v give a reasonable scale speed?  Bearing in mind that the rated 24 v is a maximum voltage but you can run the motor at anything less. 

The reason I ask is, if 12 v gives you a reasonable scale speed for the main propulsion, then perhaps you could wire the batteries as two parallel pairs in series to give you 12 v and use that for both.

Edited By Richard Simpson on 30/12/2021 22:53:21

ashley needham
            Participant
              @ashleyneedham69188

If the motor is a salvage job…windscreen wiper motor of summat, it will need the full 24v.

I have some 555 motors (6-24V) and they need at least 12v to get any sort of revs out of them , just as a for instance.

I ran the big destroyer on two of my 6v SLA batts, but they gave up after about 40 mins (they are well old) and I now use a6 cell Nimh, with one SLA for ballast.

Ashley

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)