LaSwan – can anyone identify this yacht?

Advert

LaSwan – can anyone identify this yacht?

Home Forums Collectors’ corner LaSwan – can anyone identify this yacht?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Gareth Jones
    Participant
      @garethjones79649

My wife Elizabeth recently bought a radio controlled vintage model yacht which was originally advertised on this site. Its called LaSwan and was built in 1979 by a model maker in Lancashire but we do not know the origins of the design. We suspect it may have been built to a Vic Smeed plan since many of the fittings are similar to those described in his book Model Yachting, dated 1977, which came with the model. We have enquired via the Vintage Model Yacht Group, of which Elizabeth is a member, but not yet had any response.

Does anyone recognise the design, or is it possible to get someone to check through the My Hobby Store plans to see if any of them match? Many of the yacht plans do not have an accompanying illustration on the website so it's not a straightforward task.

Here are the pictures of the model in our back garden. Its 51 inches overall length, so its too big to be a Marblehead.

laswan1.jpg

laswan2.jpg

laswan3.jpg

Regards

Gareth

Edited By Gareth Jones on 15/10/2012 17:07:12

Advert
      Gareth Jones
      Participant
        @garethjones79649
        Colin Bishop
          @colinbishop34627

It might be Vic Smeed's Marblehead Genie design which has a double chine hull and a similar keel and rudder configuration to the boat you have.

**LINK**

Colin

Gareth Jones
          Participant
            @garethjones79649

Hi Colin,

I have already looked at the Genie design and there are some similarities to LaSwan and its one of the reasons I think it may be a Vic Smeed design. However on LaSwan the bow is much more steeply raked (not sure if thats the right term, it slopes more and its more pointy!). Also LaSwan is 51 inches long. One of the key Marblehead dimensions is a hull length of 50 inches. I know the builder was not into racing and club membership so maybe he was not bothered that it did not conform with a recognised class standard. However judging by the standard of workmanship I dont think he would have accidentally built it an inch bigger than the plan.

Thanks for your interest and assistance. We are just doing some research before Elizabeth starts to restore it and wondered if there was any definitive information on the design. Knowing that you have some contacts in the My Hobby Store organisation, is it possible to check the shape of the model yacht hulls which are not illustrated on the website? Many of them have very skimpy details, not even the hull length. I would have thought it would be in the company's interest to provide more information to potential buyers of the plans. Some of them just have a name, no information at all about the model.

Gareth

Edited By Gareth Jones on 15/10/2012 19:15:13

Colin Bishop
              @colinbishop34627

Hi Gareth,

I have a 1975 Plans Handbook and Genie is the only silhouette that matches your photo.. The only other hard copy I have is a 1998 catalogue which only features a small number of yachts, none of which match.

With regard to the details on the Website, the situation is that MHS have inherited the Plans Service following several changes of ownership so basically what you see is what you get with no backdated history. There is likely to be little demand for outdated competitive designs, most of which will have only historical value. These old plans are essentially offered to those who know just what they are looking for and there is no current in house expertise in MHS to provide additional information.

A bit of a shame but that's the way things are.

Colin

Gareth Jones
              Participant
                @garethjones79649

Hi Colin,

Thanks for that. Just one more question, in your plans handbook does it suggest Genie had a pointed bow like LaSwan or an upright one, as shown in the diagram on the plans service website and in your picture in the Vic Smeed tribute on the other well known model boating website? Apparently Genie featured in Model Boats magazine from Dec 73 to August 74 which seems like a long run.

On the Vintage Model Yacht Group 'What is it' web page, there is a yacht hull that looks like LaSwan and seems to have a similar shaped bow, although the angle that the photo was taken from makes it difficult to be certain. (http://www.vmyg.org.uk/pages/gallery/whatis/genie.htm). Russell Potts who is the acknowledged expert on these matters suggests that model is a Genie. However the overall length and shape of LaSwan's bow dont seem to tie up with the Genie design.

Since LaSwan does not comply with the Marblehead class rules and is never going to be competitively raced, I think we will just go with a sail rig that is representative of the era and matches the mast height. Perhaps we might splash out on a set of Genie plans just out of curiosity.

Thanks again,

Gareth

Edited By Gareth Jones on 16/10/2012 08:47:18

Colin Bishop
                  @colinbishop34627

Hi Gareth,

It does very much resemble the Genie, maybe the builder made some changes. Some scans from the original article below.

Colin

album l genie_0001.jpg

album l genie_0002.jpg

album l genie_0003.jpg

album l genie_0004.jpg

Gareth Jones
                  Participant
                    @garethjones79649

Hi Colin,

Thank you again for your efforts to help us. The plan and photos were very useful as they have confirmed, at least in my mind, that LaSwan is definitely not a Genie (and I dont think the one on the VMYG website is either).

There are too many differences in hull shape even to make it likely that it was based on the Genie design. LaSwan has a much more raked bow, wider hull, longer skeg and rudder and differently shaped transom. There are lots of other differences as well. The layout of the sheets is different to that shown on the plan and the mast is stepped on the deck not the bottom of the hull.

Its obviously of the same era a Genie but made to a different, though similar design, perhaps still by Vic Smeed. I am still puzzled about the length. Most model yachts of this size would have been built to comply with a definite racing class requirement. The Marblehead class was very popular around that time (and still is today), but why design or build a hull 1 inch longer than the fundamental Marblehead rule of 50 inches overall length? Still its early days and someone might come up with the answer eventually.

Regards

Gareth

Colin Bishop
                      @colinbishop34627

Hi Gareth,

Yes, I see what you mean but there is certainly a 'family resemblance', particularly as regards the keel and skeg/rudder.

It will be interesting to see if anyone can shed any further light on it.

Colin

Gareth Jones
                      Participant
                        @garethjones79649

Well we have still not positively identified La-Swan's design but its similar to Vic Smeed's Genie in some respects. My wife Elizabeth has restored it over the winter and it had its first outing on the pond at Goole today.

The hull has been cleaned, rubbed down and reprayed and the deck has been re-varnished. She has reused all the original fittings which look home made by the original builder. We had to make a new main sail boom as that was missing and we have replaced all the standing and running rigging. I have rewired the power supplies as the wiring was pretty ropey.  Elizabeth is reusing the original sails which are a bit tatty but she has a new 800 sq inch set on order from Nylet. La-Swan sailed beautifully on the pond today so its off to the big lake at Allerthorpe tomorrow.

p1070772.jpg

p1070774.jpg

p1070776.jpgp1080016.jpg

p1080090.jpg

p1080169.jpg

p1080302.jpg

p1080428.jpg

p1080430.jpg

p1080446.jpg

Elizabeth's next project has already taken up residence in the workshop. It's a 36R class Razorbill  which was started some years ago by an unknown builder but never finished.  The hull is primed and there is a mast, a set of sails (unfortunately with the material cut the wrong way) and the original plans.  It also has a beautifully made keel weight so we will not be taking our life in our hands and dabbling with molten lead. Will it be finished in time for Llandudno…. who knows?

Edited By Gareth Jones on 30/03/2013 20:12:15

Edited By Gareth Jones on 30/03/2013 20:15:04

Bob Abell 2
                        Participant
                          @bobabell2

Get your skates on, Liz and Gareth,with your 36R

We are looking forward to meeting you at the Llandudno get together this Summer

Bob, Duckie and Charlie

mike braund 1
                          Participant
                            @mikebraund1

Hi I have a German made Seifert Boot sailing yacht which has been adapted for radio control ,and is in good con, could anybody please tell me what it is worth. Thanks Mike B

Gareth Jones
                            Participant
                              @garethjones79649

Hi Mike,

You would need to provide a lot more detailed information before anyone could give you any idea, i.e. dimensions, whether the radio gear, rudder and sail control servos are included and perhaps most importantly some photos.

Gareth

mike braund 1
                              Participant
                                @mikebraund1

img_3068.jpgimg_3060.jpgimg_3059.jpgimg_3057.jpgimg_3054.jpgimg_3052.jpgimg_3051.jpgHi Gareth,

Thanks for showing an interest I have more info for you plus Photos.

Length 930 mm

Width 210 mm

Main Mast Height 980 mm, Mizzen Mast 530 mm,

Hatch clearance 240 by 65mm.

Radio Control Equip not included.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)