Krispie 36R

Advert

Krispie 36R

Home Forums Sailing Models Krispie 36R

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Douglas Haig
    Participant
      @douglashaig56886

Can anybody help?

Initially I am looking for plans of Vic Smeed’s Krispie 36R model yacht. However any help would be useful even if it is photographs of such a craft. I have tried Myhobbyshop who say that such plans are not available in their archives so I hope members of this Forum can help.

I have a shell of a hull constructed as cross plank strips of thin cardboard (cereal packets) and externally reinforced. The hull is only a completed shell without any of the apertures for keel, rudder or even a deck etc. I would like to know how to proceed in restoring/building this as a 36R class. Especial I’m interested in its style of keel and its appointed location on the hull, as the hull construction is not a hull you can easily adapt to experiment. I have heard that the original design keel bulb was 7lbs which if this is so would possibly allow for a similar rig/sail area to the IOM class. But should it be ‘L’ or ‘T’ shape keel, raked forward, back or perpendicular?

You can see I am clutching at straws here. Can anybody help and point me in the right direction?

Advert
      Douglas Haig
      Participant
        @douglashaig56886
        Tony Hadley
        Participant
          @tonyhadley

Douglas,

There is currently an old Model Boats magazine for sale on ebay with the plan for Krispie still inside (it was originally presented as free plan with this issue).

**LINK**

I have some, but not all, of the original magazine items as the build continued over further issues. Unfortunately they are on a hard drive which can't be accessed until later.

Douglas Haig
          Participant
            @douglashaig56886

Tony

Thanks for that. I have made the purchase, so it's a start.

So let's see how far this gets me.

Tony Hadley
            Participant
              @tonyhadley

Douglas,

Part 1 of the magazine items will be in the magazine which you have bought. Part two is missing from my collection, part three is below.

krispie feb 77 (1).jpg

krispie feb 77 (2).jpg

Tony Hadley
              Participant
                @tonyhadley

Part 4 is missing, part 5 is below.

krispie may 77 (1).jpg

krispie may 77 (2).jpg

Tony Hadley
                Participant
                  @tonyhadley

Meant to mention earlier – part 2 was the January 1977 magazine, part 3 was in February 1977, part 4 was in March 1977, none in April, Part 5 was in March 1977 and the conclusion was in June 1977.

The June 1977 concluding article is below.

krispie jun 77 (1).jpg

krispie jun 77 (2).jpg

Douglas Haig
                  Participant
                    @douglashaig56886

Tony

This is great. Thanks.

It looks like I have a fair bit of reading to do now. Although from a quick scan some parts were included as general items in Vic Smeed's Model Yachting booklet 1977 which I had aquired earlier. Having read the booklet a number of times there was very little referrence to the Krispie 36R. But know have a general picture of what I need to do, just hope the plans are part of the Ebay purchase which should arrive by the weekend.

Thanks again and I will keep you iimformed.

PS Is the December issue in you collection as once I have finished with the article I am willing to forward it on.

Tony Hadley
                    Participant
                      @tonyhadley

Douglas,

I had another look at the listing and it was advertised with the plans inside.

For modelling in card, before this Vic Smeed design, many models were designed by G H Deason, who wrote a few books on the subject. Cardboard Engineering is one which springs to mind. One of his designs is still in the store above, the paddle steamer Cumbria (MM468). Many of the waterproofing and finishing materials have improved since then and Glynn Guest, who designs many of the up-to-date plans still uses card. Glynn's use of card tends to be more for the strips and bumpers along the hull as against the full hull construction, nevertheless the use of card in the water proves what an excellent material it is when waterproofed correctly.

Dodgy Geezer 1
                      Participant
                        @dodgygeezer1

It's not at all unusual, so long as it's waterproofed adequately. Here is a small Curlew made in card, and you will see a build log of a Mermaid in card/balsa mix elsewhere on the site…

**LINK**

Douglas Haig
                        Participant
                          @douglashaig56886

Thanks for all your help.

The purchase of Dec 1976 magazine arrived with plans in mint condition, so now I have some work to do. I can also positively confirm that my hull shell is the Krispie 36R and I have to make the decision of, will I make it R/C or vane? Another decision is do I make my own sails or purchase a set? I found a sailmaker that still holds templates for the Krispie 36R. I will be making some modifications such as keel head fixing and using more modern rigging principles but now with the basics I can proceed.

Thanks again

Tony Hadley
                          Participant
                            @tonyhadley

Douglas,

I am really pleased the magazine arrived in good condition. Making a suggestion or recommendation is always difficult – in case things go wrong.

Whether to sail vane or radio is mainly dependant upon the lake or water the model is to sailed on. For vane, all around access is required and preferably a mate on the opposite bank. In the forum's Sailing Section there is a thread covering vane sailing. Kim (Kimosubby Shipyards) and Gareth Jones have posted a detailed explanation.

**LINK**

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)