Jib luff hem

Advert

Jib luff hem

Home Forums Sailing Models Jib luff hem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Who Boot
    Participant
      @whoboot

Hi,

Can I have some advice please on what material to use to create a hem on the luff side of the jib sail in a Bermuda sloop? The forestay rig will run through the hem to hold up the jib sail. One Youtube video for the Wild Duck sailboat shows the owner using a lightweight two-sided pressure sensitive fuse tape to create the hem. As if this wasn't enough, he then goes on to sew it. What would be your methods of creating a hem for the luff of the jib sail, and out of what would you make it?

I have learned I can cut and seal the edges of ripstop nylon by using a soldering iron, but what would you use to create the holes in ripstop for the gromits?

Advert
      Who Boot
      Participant
        @whoboot

Bermuda sloop, luff side, jib, forestay rig

Ray Wood 3
        Participant
          @raywood3

wild duck jib eyelets.jpgHello Boot,

The gentleman's ability to post his build video of my Wild Duck design construction on Youtube is no guarantee of his credentials to do so !!

I think the professional sail makers like Frank Parsons of Nylet use double sided tape or glue for the hems for the forestay. Stitching is not required unless your using a cloth material.

It really is a good investment to buy the brass eyelets & washers and a simple punch for the line attachments points where you would have corner reinforcement as in the picture. the eyelets will create the holes.

The video shows him using a broom handle or similar for a mast and bed sheets for sails !!!

Regards Raywild duck jan23.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 02/01/2023 17:16:17

Who Boot
          Participant
            @whoboot

Hi Ray

Many thanks for reading my posting and taking the time to reply. It's true, anybody can post things on Youtube, and the fact that they are there is no guarantee of quality or exaction. It can make it hard for anyone like myself to find relevant tutorials or whatever on Youtube.

I like your Wild Duck model design and had thought of building it myself. I thought long and hard about it but unfortunately my rather confining home precludes I don't have enough room for many models. There are several models I've had to abandon any ideas of building for lack of space. I have just enough space for one more boat, the one Bermuda sloop I'm building. If I were to carry on, then the solution is either build a small shelter for the models in my small backyard or move to a bigger home. I have six R/C model boats, all at the moment on the floor of my lounge.

What type of tape, presuming it is a tape, you have used for the jib luff of Wild Duck?

Who Boot
            Participant
              @whoboot

Ray

I notice you have another scale model yacht design in January's issue of MB, and it's called Eventide. I will buy this issue to read and learn about it. It's another interesting and good looking model.

Ray Wood 3
              Participant
                @raywood3

con1.jpgHello Boot,

Duff information on my last post I'm afraid the Dacron sails by Nylet on both Wild Duck & Eventide the luff is a tape folded over and zig zag stiched to form a pocket for the wire forestay as attached.

My Dragon Force racing boats have Mylar sails and are folded over and glued with a tape over the whole thing.

Yes space can be an issue, bloomin boats everywhere here

As you can see I have shares in International deck paint !!

Regards Rayeven&duck jan23.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 03/01/2023 15:28:10

Edited By Ray Wood 2 on 03/01/2023 15:31:52

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)