Installing rudder post

Advert

Installing rudder post

Home Forums Beginners Installing rudder post

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tim Moody
    Participant
      @timmoody76107

Hi I have just started building my first boat which is kit from Sarik. Can anybody let me know the best way and order to install the rudder post please.

Advert
      Tim Moody
      Participant
        @timmoody76107
        Richard Simpson
        Participant
          @richardsimpson88330

Hi Tim, Can you tell us which kit it is or at least post some pictures. The procedure may be a little different depending on whether the rudder is supported or not and it is also best done in conjunction with the prop and shaft installation.

If you are just asking about the tube itself then the basic process is to set the tube position with the rudder stock in place. This ensures perfect alignment. It may also be necessary to have the propeller fitted as well. Once all is in place glue the tube with either a two part epoxy or Stabilit Express, depending on the hull material. Vac formed plastic may need polystyrene cement. Once the tube is glued it can then be secured with either something like Isopon car body filler around it or even a block of wood or plastic to ensure the tube is held rigidly in place.

Finally you can trim off the protruding tube outside the hull with a fine saw and file to match the hull profile.

ashley needham
          Participant
            @ashleyneedham69188

Hi Tim. As Richard says. I like to have a block of wood or something inside the hull to support the rudder tube, as rudders can be susceptible to being knocked, either in the water or out, and with the leverage available can cause damage.

Isopon car filler(p38) is handy if you don’t have much room to use a block of something support the tube inside the hull.

Ashley

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)