hydrofoil

Advert

hydrofoil

Home Forums All things floating hydrofoil

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 months ago by ashley needham.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    delph
    Participant
      @delph

hi,

I got hold of a very tatty super comet hydrofoil, totally striped out. I had know idea what motor to use but the very helpful staff at SMC (01903207525) supplied an overlander 3530/14 outrunner . well its amazing, weigh’s 1/3rd of the 550 that its meant to run, loads of power, doesn’t overheat at all and run time on 2200 3S is easily 25 mins +. for any speed boat of say up to 16 inch its worth a look at.

Chris

Advert
      ashley needham
      Participant
        @ashleyneedham69188

Chris. That’s quite a large motor for a boat that size (assuming it’s 16 ish inches due to your comment later), and listed at 340 Watts.

We are using 28mm b/l outrunners for our craft here and the cheap ones come in at 1000Kv, 1400 or 2200, and around 160 ish Watts. When you consider the weight of a 500 can motor and the likely power output (60, 70 ish Watts perhaps) the benefits are clear.

If you are getting 25 mins plus run time that’s very good…or you are not using enough throttle!

Ashley

delph
        Participant
          @delph

i was never good at maths! the shop looked at the model on line and supplied what they thought would be ok. its my first out runner and was/am utterly impressed.

yes its not all full throttle but only slowing to turn. its a bit like flying a plane with no elevator. if it lifts up ok its good to go but you should see the faces of people watching as it rises up on its plane things.

Chris

ashley needham
          Participant
            @ashleyneedham69188

Everyone seems to be impressed with brushless motors, but of course you would be if you took out a brushed motor of 50 Watts and replaced with a smaller motor at 150 Watts.

From what have seen, people do not replace motors with an equivalent power brushless motor, they upgrade by some margin.

We use brushless at the pond for light fast craft, where weight and size is an issue. In point of fact a powerfull motor will not develop that power unless loaded properly, and despite being fitted with 160 watt brushless, our Tups are probably only developing 80 Watts due to the small props. This is obviously beneficial in that the current consumption is kept Down and this is probably what’s happening on your hydro.

Ashley

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)